Author Topic: WB trys "WWII" arena  (Read 682 times)

lazs

WB trys "WWII" arena
« on: July 11, 2000, 12:51:00 PM »
WB tried a new arena based on sick's "generations" idea.   In short, this is an arena that is axis vs allied that divides the 50 some odd planes of WB into 4 groups or "generations" where intro date is not so important as is parity of performance.   More planes are available than normal also, adding variety.

Last night started with early war (109E's, zekes, p40b's, F4F3's spit and Hurri ones etc.) and will run for five days before the next "generation".   The arena was quite crowded and the normal Main arena was deserted even though it was running an early war setting also.   Time will tell but it may replace the old "MA".
lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2000, 12:52:00 PM »
Hey, Air Warrior thought of that idea 11 years ago! Hehe.

Seriously, I hope  it's effective for them.

On that note, we are still patiently waiting for our historical arena!  

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
VMF-323 Death Rattlers
Panzer Group Afrika~15th Panzer Division~[/i]
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for 15th Panzer info

I spare no class or cult or  creed,
My course is endless through the year.
I bow all heads and break all hearts,
All owe homage-I am Fear.

-------------General Patton

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 07-11-2000).]

lazs

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2000, 03:15:00 PM »
as i remember it the old Dos AW was 3 countries and ETO and PTO were separate.
lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2000, 03:19:00 PM »
Rgr, thats what I mean, they doing the ETO, PTO thing, right?

lazs

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2000, 05:00:00 PM »
yes and no... the arena has all eto and pto planes enabled (for that generation) but they are at different fields.   Even with slow early war planes tho a jap carrier got in the ETO and there were zekes to shoot down as well as the 109's.  Also F4F-3's were in the ETO fight.  has to do with field capture and not quite sure i understand all the details just yet.
lazs

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2000, 05:20:00 PM »
Ahh. Exactly like AW.    11 years ago.

Offline jedi

• Zinc Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2000, 07:57:00 PM »
Actually, no    The ETO and PTO are both operational together in the same arena at the same time--don't think AW ever had that (certainly not in the DOS days).

The aircraft are "stationed" at bases so that Japanese planes are separated geographically from German ones.  In practice, this produced MOSTLY fights of IJ vs US and RAF vs LW, although as lazs notes, the IJ carrier steamed into the "Euro zone" and the IJ could fight against the RAF (but NOT against the LW, who are the same color as the IJ).

Probably more like DOA than AW.  Aces High's map would probably be an even better fit, since the fields seem to be farther apart, making it unlikely that you'd find Japanese planes and Germans in the same vicinity.

Sort of midway between the MAyhem arena and a scenario lite...

--jedi

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2000, 08:36:00 PM »
Air Warrior 3 has run a two-sided Axis v. Allies arena for at least a couple of years now.  It's ETO only, but the map is historical... you can visit London or Paris if you so desire.  The problem, of course, is that flying times can be a real pain in the butt despite to-scale reduced ranges.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2000, 10:49:00 PM »
Hi lazs...

I tried it for about three hours tonight and really liked it.  I flew a P40B and had some great historical duels against the Zeke A6M2 and Ki43.  When I logged off at 11:30pm, there were still 124 people in that arena on a pay for play basis.

I think iEN has something worth marketing there, so I sure hope they move their primary people barriers to accomplishing that out of the way.

BTW...a different subject.  You are indeed correct about the turn rate "thingy".  I really noticed a difference in the responsiveness to aileron input and how quickly the nose came around.  Many more enjoyable T&B scraps.  In all honesty, from a playability and fun factor point of view, I have concluded I do prefer the WB formula (turn rate ONLY), whatever it is, even if the AH flight model is truer from a realistic physics implementaion.  I do however, prefer many of the other elements of the AH environment, including the graphics.  Sure wish these two companies would glue together the best of both worlds for pure entertainment value at a flat rate.

Regards,
Badger

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?
 http://www.egroups.com/group/flightsimsonline

(now over 70 members and counting)

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 07-11-2000).]

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2000, 11:32:00 PM »
As far as i'm concerned, i prefer the AH FM, I have less the feeling of playing a video game and it makes me closer feel of my real life flying. A plane stuck in the sky at slow speed in your gunsight is what I prefer. It implies more strategy not to end up 'frozen in the sky' when someone is in ur 6.

But that's a personal statement, I respect other people point of view. I think we are lucky to be able to play either one of the flight sim WB/AH depending on how you like your fun.  
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Batmann

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2000, 03:05:00 AM »
WB's new WWII arena is interesting try. I've not been flying WB already, but I agree it's a very charming.

For example... F4U-1D was designed to fight A6M or Japanese aircraft, not fight P51, B17 or F4U-1D self. F4U-1C has heavy ammo 20mm cannon, but it was produced 200 only. .50cal has enough power to kill Japanese aircrafts, so F4U-1D is produced more lots numbers than F4U-1C. It's ignored at the main arena.

I wish AH has WWII arena also. For its purpose, more aircraft are necessary.  

------------------
Batmann <CO/JG68> from Tokyo, Japan
JG68 Briefing Room
"Anybody who is Japanese and likes German aircrafts
can't but get to like Ki-61."

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2000, 03:17:00 AM »

Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy:
As far as i'm concerned, i prefer the AH FM, I have less the feeling of playing a video game and it makes me closer feel of my real life flying. A plane stuck in the sky at slow speed in your gunsight is what I prefer. It implies more strategy not to end up 'frozen in the sky' when someone is in ur 6.

Exactly the thing I like in AH. No more taking WB Spit IX and pulling on the stick until enemy is in your sights. Here even the Spitter loses E and freezes in the sky  

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2000, 04:52:00 AM »
I remember back when I played WB, the HA had this very setup for a few days, using a map that roughly followed the European/Mediterranean continent.  I think it was Hatch that put it together.  There was the US/UK in the West, followed by the Germans in the center, ending with the Soviets in the East.  It was a real hit with many people attending.

I would love to see something like this here, except add the Asian side.  Of course, it would require a fuller plane set, but I don't see a problem with that in a year  
ingame: Raz

Cheerleader 1

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2000, 04:55:00 AM »
Must be impressive stuff to see a heavy plane at 150-200kts to 'freeze in the sky'  

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2000, 05:54:00 AM »

Originally posted by Hristo:
Exactly the thing I like in AH. No more taking WB Spit IX and pulling on the stick until enemy is in your sights. Here even the Spitter loses E and freezes in the sky  

Hi Hristo....

With all due respect, I think there's something out of whack a little bit, only as it pertains to turn rate.  I didn't agree at first, but after flying the AH Zeke here a lot and discovering that the Spit 9 can almost stay even in a tight "flat turn" fight for an incredible amount of time, then there has to be something not happening right in mudsville.

Allowing for my mediocrity as a Zeke pilot, I've had example after example of relatively new guys who would just play "circle jerk" with me in a Spit 9, far longer (turn rotations) than would happen in WB with the same planes.  My point earlier was that the AH turn rate formula may indeed be 100% correct, but I would prefer HT to "fudge" the math a little to cause the disparities between turn rates on planes to be more pronounced and noticeable sooner, than an absolute "bottom end" E bleed necessity which seems to happen now.

Anyway, just my thoughts are from a playability and game point of view and not from a true realism of flight sim physics position.

Regards,
Badger

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?
 http://www.egroups.com/group/flightsimsonline