Author Topic: problem with stuttering terrain in turns  (Read 279 times)

Offline SOLAS

• Nickel Member
problem with stuttering terrain in turns
« on: July 07, 2002, 04:47:53 PM »
since a while i notice a strange effect when i fly in turns and look outside of the plane , the framerate is still high but the terrain is stuttering very much. i have tryed differend video settings but without a better result. what can be the reason for this effect?

i repeat , framerate is still normal but when i make a continue turn like flying in circles (hard & medium turning) i ever have a stuttering terrain..........

maybe you have any ideas about....
The eagle flies up towards the sun
High above the fields of babylon
In one claw he holds an olive branch for peace
In the other, twelve arrows for his enemies

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 06:35:18 PM »
I've seen stuttering terrain in AH for as long as I can remember.  I showed HT at a previous con but I never heard anything about it after that.  At the time I was using a V5-5500 and P3-800, but I still see it with my GeForce2 PRO and Athlon 1.4 at framerates up past 85.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 11:09:31 PM »
try locking the framerate to 60 or 45 whatever the options are

also zonealarm can cause this

flashing icons in the systray as well

hell anything in the background can cause this

SKurj

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2002, 11:55:20 PM »
I've done pretty much everything and I still get the stuttering.  I'm really not sure what else I can try other than maybe building a base win95 install and running AH on that...  If I win the lottery I would try replacing my network and sound cards with something else, but I'm not that rich.  

I'm running a completely different win98SE install from when I showed HT, so it wasn't a porked windows install.  I don't even have a modem in this system so it's not blinky tray icons.

I'm sure someday the stuttering will magically go away and I'll have no idea what changed...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline SOLAS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2002, 05:33:17 AM »
thank you for answering eagl &  skurj , i cant imagine that the reason is a other programm etc. also the framerate lock brings no result , i ride a p3 850 with a geforce2 card and i can say framerate is not a problem ....(ok , it drops down  when i  fly in big formations but i am sure this is normal).

now i have tryed to disable the joystick and flying with the mouse , and i realized no stutter effect , but when the reason is in the data stream from the joystick i am not sure what i can change there , i use newest driver for my ch f16 fighterstick.... i also tryed other joysticks with the same result. i think i need a  tip from a ´good technican´....

my operating system is also 98se ....

i will fly today with mouse only and when i have no stutter effect again it -must- be something with the joystcik or joystick port etc.

greetings from germany
The eagle flies up towards the sun
High above the fields of babylon
In one claw he holds an olive branch for peace
In the other, twelve arrows for his enemies

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2002, 01:03:59 PM »
eagl even some DSL connects with network cards put that 'connected' icon in the systray

SKurj