Author Topic: Consistently late bomb impact  (Read 591 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Consistently late bomb impact
« on: July 08, 2002, 11:19:13 AM »
Pretty sure I have the procedure down, alt matches drop alt, tgt alt specified, several seconds rock steady on a mark, constant airspeed. Yet my bombs always hit consistently late. Anyone else had this problem and overcame it? Short of dropping early that is.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2002, 11:49:51 AM »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2002, 12:21:33 PM »
Thanks bozon, overlooked it due to divebombing in the title but it does address the issue.

Oddly, seems it does the same for many but not everyone.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2002, 12:38:46 PM »
Yep, I've been compensating by dropping about one city legnth early .

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2002, 12:59:59 PM »
here's what i have found...

Set your target alt salvo, etc etc before you get to target.

'mark' 1x a couple minutes out from the target
check your line up
'mark' AGAIN 30-45 seconds from target

if your speed was constant (i usually use around 42 man pressure in b26 and b17) and u marked well, you can now drop on target without having to lead.

SKurj

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2002, 01:00:38 PM »
here's what i have found...

Set your target alt salvo, etc etc before you get to target.

'mark' 1x a couple minutes out from the target
check your line up
'mark' AGAIN 30-45 seconds from target

if your speed was constant (i usually use around 42 man pressure in b26 and b17) and u marked well, you can now drop on target without having to lead.

marking (directly below the plane) when u are very close to the target seems to be the trick

SKurj

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2002, 01:06:54 PM »
Originally posted by SKurj

marking (directly below the plane) when u are very close to the target seems to be the trick

SKurj [/B]

what do you mean by "marking".  Are you refering to calibrating the bombsite for the speed of the a/c?

Offline volsung1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2002, 01:59:35 PM »
I've been having great success in level bombing. The only thing I do differently than what Kweasa recommends is I do speed cal. directly beneath my acft., speed around 160 kias(I drop throttle to 75% then select f6 directly out of a 150kias auto climb), doors open.

I hit a 0.0k base (231 I think) last night destroying 2 hangers and the radar in one pass using 3 separate 3 bomb salvos (1k lbs. from a Lanc. formation) with 0.70 delay, from 13,000 feet. Wish I had a screen shot, it was a mutha beautiful thing!

:D

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2002, 02:05:28 PM »
Yes Modas

SKurj

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2002, 03:22:02 PM »
I've tried 'marking' for several seconds (at least 5) not more than 10 secs before I dropped, no difference. I've probably spent 3-4 hours practicing offline and experimenting with different procedures. Either I ain't cut out to be a bomber or there is something wrong.

Skurj, did you do the autoupdate to 1.10?

Offline volsung1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2002, 04:47:17 PM »
I just remembered something else, it may or may not matter, but I always do speed Cal. with the bomb site at maximum zoom.

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
Re: Consistently late bomb impact
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2002, 07:46:51 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Pretty sure I have the procedure down, alt matches drop alt, tgt alt specified, several seconds rock steady on a mark, constant airspeed. Yet my bombs always hit consistently late. Anyone else had this problem and overcame it? Short of dropping early that is.

At low altitude I find it works well,  at medium altitude I'm pretty certain to hit "something" with a slight overshoot sometimes, at high altitude, even with the most careful calibration, there is condiderable drift, usually an overshoot as you report.  I usually now "carpet bomb" if high, increase the standard delay setting to around 0.07 instead of 0.05 seconds, drop all bombs in one salvo and drop slightly just before the target I want to hit. If in a 3 formation this walks the bombs across the target and you would probably destroy your hanger, whatever. At least you take out gun emplacemets and othert strat structures, more often than not. This is fairly realistic, and pretty much what happened anyway.
If you can get 3 or 4 other buffers to formate as well, you can pretty well carpet a whole field -co-operation pays!

I think calibrating just before the target with doors already open and in the bombsight, and having the formation settle into a nice constant speed and alt is important.  If you have wind drift in calibration, combined with some lag, expecting pin point accuracy at high altitude bombing is optimistic. :)

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2002, 08:47:56 PM »
GENTS!!!!!!!!

HITECH was online today and stated that there IS a problem with the bombing in AH in the new patch.  I have calibrated perfectly with the same results....eggs going long.

The reason for this is that the "Drag" on the bombs was not put into the lines of code during the patch or something like this.

HITECH said that this will be corrected in the new patch.

I hope this helps....has been frustrating the hell out of me so until the patch comes out I drop those eggies early.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2002, 05:28:09 AM »
Funny. maybe I didn't notice this since I never even tried to drop a single building at a bomb-run. I always thought this of an 'area bombing' and usually drop bombs when the sight reaches the beginning of the area, not at a specific point. Maybe this somehow compensated for the 'bug' - if there is such a thing - in my case.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2002, 08:56:59 AM »
Good news that Hitech found a bug. While carpet bombing may work well on a town or other facility where there are a large number of buildings close together, I don't think it'll work well on airfields where hangers require a concentration of force to destroy.

I think we'll still be able to drop selected targets at a field, heck, can do it now if you accurately estimate the required lead time. I don't think HTC was trying to eliminate accurate bombing, I think they just wanted it to be an acquired skill and make the bombers more vulnerable to fighter attack while on a bomb run as they were in RL. Just my $.02