Author Topic: cant start AH  (Read 282 times)

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
cant start AH
« on: July 06, 2002, 07:56:05 PM »
I cant seem to get AH to run. After AH was updated, my fps dropped by about 20fps, so I decided to update my GF2 32mb GTS card's drivers. I had some problems installing the drivers, mainly b/c of a user technical malfunction. I installed the nvidia drivers w/out first changing the adapter to a Standard PCI graphics card thus removing the old nvidia drivers. Once I realized the error of my ways, I unistalled and then reinstalled the vid drivers correctly. Now AH wont start. When i click the shortcut, it starts to run but fails. If I do it again, it starts to a white screen. I can kinda see the spirals on the clipboard and where it should say AH Version 1.10 (i think) a green bar is present. I unistalled and reinstalled AH by d/l the 1.10 file.
I get the same thing. I have tried starting
it in 640x480 16bit res w/ no go. Always, I get one of the two misfortunate ends. My other games all work fine. Its just AH. Perhaps some reminant of the old Vid drivers are still in my box? I have uninstalled and reinstalled, even different versions of Nvidias Detonator drivers with the same results.  I am kinda at an end now. I dont know what to do next other than C:\format..  Which it is close to that time anyway. I am runnin win98 with a celeron clocked to 850 w/ 390 megs ram. I did get fps in the 70s but w/ the update, they would drop to maybe even 20 or so in worst case. Dx8.1. O, and I was playing AH the night before, simply turned off my computer and the next day, AH didnt work. nothing had changed. Funked up eh? I thought so. Please help. 8)
- TWBYDHAS

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
cant start AH
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2002, 08:00:42 PM »
O yea, with the new Detonator drivers installed, AH read the amount of memory I have on my card wrong. If I remember right, it said I had like 47mb. Used to be round 33-34mb somewhere. Everything else on my puter sees it as 32mb.............I think the drivers i have installed are 2942 version.
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Fuzzy

• Copper Member
cant start AH
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2002, 08:38:20 PM »
Did you reinstall direct x after installing the video drivers? this is probably the cause. I had a similar event when i updated my GF2 GTS drivers. Try reinstalling direct x AFTER video drivers.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
cant start AH
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2002, 11:44:11 PM »
Also try editing your video.cfg file to see if it has any wonky settings.  If you can't figure out what it should say, rename it to something like videocfg.cfg then run AH.  It should detect that the file is missing and recreate the configuration file.

Back that sucker up before you mess with it...  I have an "ahcfg" folder tucked away with all my configuration settings like login, video, keymap, etc. so if I nuke my AH installation I don't lose all my customized settings.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
cant start AH
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2002, 09:06:36 PM »
Man, I tried it all. Unistalled vid drivers, reinstalled, and then reinstalled Dx8.1 (thanks btw, i didnt think of that) but no go. After reinstalling Dx it did change the white screen to a bunch of horizontal lines.. So, I am now on the good end of a rebuild. Everything is up and AH is running now.. hehe Although, I am not using Nvidia's newest drivers. I have had nothing but trouble with them. My only problem now is my password for godsake! hehe... Where is the password file saved at? I still have a copy of my old AH on disc w/ all files...  Thanks guys   8)

kappa
- TWBYDHAS

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
cant start AH
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2002, 09:11:07 PM »
Alright man! I found it!
- TWBYDHAS

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/