Author Topic: Oh No!!! they made it even worse!  (Read 1686 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Oh No!!! they made it even worse!
« on: July 10, 2002, 08:26:57 AM »
When I got on, the pizza map was now divided into three equal slices.  One for each country.   No field was less than a sector and a half away from an enemy field..

The lack of action was staggering..   early war planes were circling their fields.   Why would they venture out 1 and a half sectors to be B&Zed all the way home for their efforts?  

Milkrunning was the order of the day with undefended fields being attacked.  

Gameplay consisted of.... milkrun a field or.... circle around your field hoping someone with less patience will attack so that you and 6 other guys can fight over who get's to kill him or.... fly a sector or 2 to fight and watch the red bar evaporate slowly the closer you get to the field till all that's left to fight is one no clue defender or Ai or... just sit in the tower, look for somewhere remotely fun looking to go while we ..... chat.

it's a big friggin map...  can't we have some close fields or, better yet, a little corner where only early war planes are allowed to take off and a barren zone above that of 4 sectors or so... enough fieldless terrain so that attention starved late war flyers can't get to the early war area?

lazs

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2002, 08:29:27 AM »
STFU whiner.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2002, 08:35:46 AM »
and we all thought that guys from sweden were just saab driving sissies.

lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2002, 08:36:44 AM »

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2002, 08:38:14 AM »
New terrain is alright.  Really is, give and take some, but its sorta too bad 1.10 started off on it.  Should have really been a kick bellybutton terrain and unfortunately it aint any better than the average terrain.

Oh well.......maybe next time ;)

Thinking on it some, Im not a fan of the terrain dividing eras either.  Too clumsy and the 51D has a tremendous range.

The time has come for RPS.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2002, 08:43:45 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2002, 08:39:20 AM »
Rip,  try Boomspeed.com

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2002, 08:40:08 AM »
Looks the same to me, and I had no download.  The equal slices came from very intense fighting during USA flight time (was 480 people on when I logged off for bed about 11:00 PM EST)  not a map change.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2002, 08:42:20 AM by Turbot »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2002, 08:41:52 AM »
Maybe....

CLICK ME
« Last Edit: July 10, 2002, 08:45:18 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2002, 08:43:01 AM »
OK, I'll try to be more clear. I suppose the STFU needs some explaining.

Some people want the base capture, the buff raids, the cap:s, lets call these people the strat people. Some like you only want fast intense dogfights, lets call them the furballers. Then there are people that sometimes wants to fight in a big furball, and sometimes they want to capture stuff, or blow stuff up in a bomber.

What you need to realize is that all things are connected. You love furballs, and it would seem you want to spend all your time furballing. Well, that is fine, but you have to realize that not everyone plays AH just for the furballs. If people only wanted furballs, the DA would be crowded.

My point is, all 3 categories of people need eachother for this to be a good game. If AH would shift in a furball-island direction, the strat people would quit. If AH would move in the strat direction, the furballers would quit.

If you would have waited 15 mins or something in the map you would have seen a base starting to flash somewhere. That would be the strat people, the ones who move the front. They would start hitting that base, trying to capture it. This would grab the attention of some strat people on the other side, who would start to defend the flashing base. Soon two big bars would emerge in that sector, something that would catch the eye of the furballers. Soon the furballers would take over the fight in that sector, while most of the strat people would move on to another base, or to a buff mission. When that buff mission took off, people on the other side would note that bar and think "hmm..might be a buff mission inbound", and they would up in high alt interceptors and head for that bar. Meanwhile, the gv-people would be slugging it out somewhere else over some vh-base.

Give the map one hour Lazs, and I guarantee you will find a furball somewhere. Nothing good will come from just sitting here whining and nothing good will come from a furballer or strat-guy trying to force others to play the game the same way he wants to play it.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2002, 08:54:40 AM »
hortlund... stfu.  

maybe i should explain...my squadmates and are on for an average of 2 hours a nite and some nites there is nothing going on at all.   nothing worth doing for us.   we do not enjoy milkrunning (strat) or organized gangbanging (missuns).

there are fewer of us on every night.   fields far apart don't just kill furballs they kill early war plane usage and they kill gameplay.   why would an early war plane risk going to an enemy field 2 sectors away?  he will just have to fight the gangbanging faster planes till he dies.

closer fields allw those who like even and large fights a place to do so.   the fights tend to be more at midway between the fields with more chance of engaging and RTB once hurt or bingo.   Gangbangers won't chase you because they will have to fight the denser masses closer to your field or.... the ack.

so...not everyone enjoys a good even fight but at least let's have some opportunity for it.
lazs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2002, 09:01:40 AM »
If nothing else Lazs, gotta give ya this, you are persistent.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2002, 09:01:50 AM »
But you have that opportunity now lazs. When the map is reset with each country on one slice, you should have 10-15 frontline bases perfect for furballing. That is ..if people want to furball.

Has the thought crossed your mind that perhaps it was easier to find an active furball in 1.09 because the map was smaller and people were "forced" to furball more?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2002, 09:06:45 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
If nothing else Lazs, gotta give ya this, you are persistent.

Persistent, but not consistent(idea wise)

He whined for an arena where he could find just furballing.
Along came the Dueling arena.

He changes his mind.

He whined for an arena where early war planes could be flown without threat of late war stuff interfering.
Along came the Combat Theatre.

He changes his mind

"I want it to be a main arena that is populated, but no strat potatos, no milk runners"

Whats it this week Lazs?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2002, 09:11:44 AM »
-lazs-

I can see why you are disappointed, but I have a suggestion. (Not being fascetious): Why don't you try something else - a different kind of mission? Are you really incapable of extending your interest beyond furballs?  I agree that the map is far from ideal, but even its aficionados will tire of it within a few weeks, and then we'll have another map.

Don't buck the system. I've made a few initiatives and had them ignored. I dislike the bar dar and the mission editor, but these it seems are sacrosant to the majority of the player base.

I've found my fun messing about at vehicle fields this tour. Not suggesting you do exactly the same, but give some thought to trying something new. You are an excellent F4U guy, but you don't need to prove it on a daily basis.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2002, 09:12:02 AM »
Ripsnort...for some reason I always feel like a virgin when I look at your post count :)

I think lazs has a point about the early war rides though. It is a shame that we dont see them much. To roll a 109E in the MA is just stupid. But at the same time, those early rides have their charm too.

The perk system is good, but I am not sure it is enough. On the other hand I'm not sure a rps is the best solution either, because in effect what you are doing with a rps is force people to play in a way they might not like.

I dont really know how to solve that one though. I read the perk and rps-thread, but I'm not convinced that is the way to go either. It will only be twice as frustrating for someone who cant afford the perks, and all the old sticks have enough perks to fly whatever they want anyway.