Author Topic: Quick question for you computer techies  (Read 372 times)

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Quick question for you computer techies
« on: July 15, 2002, 11:36:23 AM »
I am considering upgrading my system.  I use a Saitek HOTAS now and am running Windows 98 currently.  The system I have been eyeing uses an AMD 2000XP chip and I can order it with or without an OS installed.  My question is, is it worth it to get the XP system and run a dual boot with Win 98 so that I can still use my Saitek or should I just save the cash and get it without an OS and install my Win 98 on it when it gets here?

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 12:13:47 PM »
Saitek doesn't have software/drivers for XP?  How about Win2k?  Those two OSes are so much better than 98, that you should go that route if you can.

If you need 98 for the Saitek stuff... well then it's down to what else you use your computer for.  98 may do... or there may be features in XP you REALLY want like ClearText.  It's up to you.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 12:36:42 PM »
I thought I had seen it around this board a few times that Saitek stuff didnt like XP or Win2K.  I only use my computer for gaming and stuff.  I dont know if I would really have any use for the advanced features that XP offers.

Couple of other questions also....What is the difference between RAID 0 and RAID 1?  Should I even bother with trying to get a RAID system?

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 01:40:17 PM »
Hopefully somebody with Saitek gear will jump in here.  I thought they had new software that worked with 2k/XP?

Anyway, RAID 1 is mirroring, RAID 0 is striping.  Mirroring brings no performance gains, it's just that you have an identical disk as a backup in case one fails.  RAID 0 is striping, and it will bring a performance improvement, mostly on the read side.  The more disks the better. :)  Ideally you want higher versions of RAID that include the striping and fault tolerance as well, but those are much more money and usually SCSI based systems.

Should you get a RAID setup?  Well, it depends.  If you want the mirroring for data safety, then that's a cheap way to get it and you don't have to do backups.  For performance... well if you do things that wait on your hard drive all the time, then you may want the increased I/O performance.  Video editing would probably be something that would be an application that a stripe set would really help out.  Personally, I think for gaming, you are better to get a good quality mainboard and HD setup from a value standpoint.  Go stripe set if you have the need for speed, but I don't expect it will make a big difference.  I'd make sure you've got a fast machine and a GeForce 4 Ti before I put extra money into RAID.  If you have a mobo with no RAID controller, you can always ad a PCI RAID card in later if you get the urge/money to do it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2002, 01:43:19 PM by Lephturn »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Quick question for you computer techies
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 01:53:06 PM »
Originally posted by sling322
I am considering upgrading my system.  I use a Saitek HOTAS now and am running Windows 98 currently.  The system I have been eyeing uses an AMD 2000XP chip and I can order it with or without an OS installed.  My question is, is it worth it to get the XP system and run a dual boot with Win 98 so that I can still use my Saitek or should I just save the cash and get it without an OS and install my Win 98 on it when it gets here?

That is what I did. Just put in another drive. It has to be the slave behind the 98 drive on the same IDE cable. Then just install XP on the new drive "D". It insteads the dual boot option automatically and works like a charm. I did it for my DV apps, to get around the 4 gig file size limit of Win98 but keep 98 so my X45 works.

If you get XP get the Pro Version, er the one you don't need to keep paying for after every few hardware changes...

gl

edit:
went with the ATA100 controller instead of the raid options.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2002, 02:10:48 PM »
The X45 driver CD that came with it works fine in Windows 2000 Pro...just installed it last night, works fine....no need to hunt for 3rd party stuff here

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2002, 03:14:38 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.  I am looking to spend around $500 to $600 range and the system I got my eye on right now will run me around $570.  It is a:

MSI KT3 UltraKT333 w/ a AMD Athlon XP2000+ processor
256 megs of PC333 PC2700 DDR Ram
Maxtor 40GB 7200 rpm HD
CDRW drive and DVD drive

Thats the barebones of it...of course it comes with speakers and all the other little stuff.  I think I am going to drop my ATI Radeon 64meg DDR vid card into it at first and then later I will pick up a GeForce4 and another 256 megs of ram once I find some sucker...I mean customer to take my PIII 733 HP system off my hands.  :)

Any thoughts or possible problems you guys see that I might have with the components I listed?  Is the MB and processor a good combo for the price?

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2002, 04:22:34 PM »
damn cheap there in USA  560 $ is it mostly same like 560 Euro
 my new DVD RW  Ge4 4400 + 2 HD + ventilated rack goin cost around 900 Euro = 900 $

about msi kt333 ARU , i got DE LUXE edition and definitely is it a god choice

but careful i coked already 2 HD  i owerheat them , never hapened this before only now when i use ata 133 :mad:

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2002, 05:23:01 PM »
Sling, I just "upgraded" to XP (lost old computer to virus :mad: ) and my X36 HOTAS and CH pro USB pedals work fine in Aces High. Luckily, AH supports multiple controls like that, and I was able to program all of the functions I need within the game.

Other games (if it's an issue with you... it is with me) are not so flexible, and you will have to do some experimenting to get them to work, if at all. The old saitek utility does not work under XP, so be warned.

[edit: under 98 and ME I had used Bob Church's X36 patch for the pedals, and it was fanstastic... it worked in every single game I had. I don't know if anyone is writing a patch for XP. I'm considering going to an all-CH setup so I can play EECH again.]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2002, 05:30:31 PM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2002, 06:23:28 PM »
Long time X36 USB / TM elite pedals user here.  I still use Windows 98 for one sole reason,  SGE.  This is the software that opens up the real versatility of the stick/throttle and allows easy use of all the hats, rotaries and shift modes.  As far as I know the
win 2k/xp drivers DO NOT SUPPORT the shif mode and rotaries, which makes it useless for me.  It is my understanding that Rob Hunts "hazard script" uses all the functions available.   The problem with it is that you have to write the script wheas SGE is windows based and easy to use.

I have to say though I am getting tired of Saiteks constant delays!
http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/supp/sd02.htm

I am no expert but the delay tells me that perhaps they cannot get the program to work with XP.  This will be a major downfall for them.

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2002, 06:31:05 PM »
Follow up,  I just got off the phone with Saitek and they tell me the full blown XP compatable version of SST will be out in August.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2002, 10:03:24 PM »
Originally posted by sling322
Thanks for all your replies.  I am looking to spend around $500 to $600 range and the system I got my eye on right now will run me around $570.  It is a:

MSI KT3 UltraKT333 w/ a AMD Athlon XP2000+ processor
256 megs of PC333 PC2700 DDR Ram
Maxtor 40GB 7200 rpm HD
CDRW drive and DVD drive

Thats the barebones of it...of course it comes with speakers and all the other little stuff.  I think I am going to drop my ATI Radeon 64meg DDR vid card into it at first and then later I will pick up a GeForce4 and another 256 megs of ram once I find some sucker...I mean customer to take my PIII 733 HP system off my hands.  :)

Any thoughts or possible problems you guys see that I might have with the components I listed?  Is the MB and processor a good combo for the price?

You pretty much have what I just assembled the other night.  I went with...

MSI Kt3 Ultra ($109)
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ ($135)
512mb Crucial DDR 2100 ECC RAM ($147)
Maxtor 80gb ATA 133 HDD ($125)
VisionTek GeForce 4 4600 ($315..eBay!)
Windows 2000 Pro OEM CD ($135)

Im seeing solid 75 FPS in 4x FSAA in Aces High.  Refer to my 3D Mark 2001 thread for further results.