Author Topic: Yak-9u question  (Read 278 times)

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
Yak-9u question
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2002, 04:41:25 AM »
"Were the maximum settings for RPM and MAN in the case of Yak9U calibrated to keep the engine always below dangerous temperatures?"

It's the case on most airplanes!
Most of the limits mentioned in manuals are ''recommended' values and have more to do with maintanence and enginelife than with the usual silly myth of 'engine seizing and blowing up'...but alas..for some reason ALL sims seems to model that WEP = overheating.
 Another major reason that planes werent run at 100% all the time, was fuel consumption.

Daff

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Yak-9u question
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2002, 09:17:55 AM »
Mandoble, I understand that.

But in the VK107 a change was made after WWII.   I can't remember if the new designation was VK107A or VK107B

If I remember right, it was the addition of water injection, but I don't have the aircraft engine book that I read that information in.  I was considering buying the book while reading it in the US National Air & Space Musueum bookstore, but in the end, I didn't due to cost since it was about $80 US and I already have several books on aircraft engines.

I'll check my other books to see if they list that engine change. But I do know for a fact that the engine in the Yak-9U during WWII was different from the engines in the Yak-9U's made after the war.