Author Topic: Gaming the game; ...but oh! The game has changed :)  (Read 671 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Gaming the game; ...but oh! The game has changed :)
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2002, 05:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by poopster

It can also be said that a "yes" man rarely adds anything of revelence to a debated subject.

nopoop

Would agree concerning the subject 'debate', however, the same could be said for naysayers and furthermore how many of them ever accomplished anything of significance?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2002, 05:06:27 PM »
It can also be said that a "yes" man rarely adds anything of revelence to a debated subject.

Do you think spamming this topic with all you little pictures adds to the debate?  Or are you trying desparately to be cutsie?

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2002, 05:33:40 PM »
how many of them ever accomplished anything of significance?

I do quite well thank you :)

Oh we're talking about the game ;)

The unfortunate fact that has come to pass is the map is too big for the current population.

I don't think you can really "debate" it to the contrary.

Yes the fights are out there, yes you have to look for them. The thing is with the huge map the quality that made this sim shine is lost in this GREAT BIG WORLD you have created. Many pilots have lost that *special* envirement that was present in the old maps. Note: I said maps. It seems the size is what they all share.

I can get over the silly "look" of it on the clipboard. When your "in" it makes no difference. I can get over the colors because I know that was restricted.

The size is not your fault, and I don't believe anyone is assigning blame to the map designers for the problem.

So the problem isn't with the layout of the map.

There IS a problem with size. And the continual ankle biting everytime someone makes mention of it just kills me. There is a WHOLE lot of people where size IS the concern.

I just got here, had a couple of months in nirvana and then this all happens....

AH is the best thing since sliced bread, the problem is the loaf won't fit through my front door anymore..

No Wab it wasn't a spam. It was humor, you know giggles ? I just "do" it when the mood strikes. Something lacking in your squad as of late.

And I haven't been cute in 45 or 50 years. But even then it was a stretch  ;)

Your probably confusing it with kissy..

nopoop
« Last Edit: July 14, 2002, 06:10:18 PM by poopster »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2002, 06:04:14 PM »
I beg to differ, I can debate that the map isn't too large for the current population. Convincing you may be impossible depending upon your objectivity.

One benefit of the large map is also the cause for complaint by many; it spreads people out. As many have already said, when people are bunched up there is more network traffic. This can result in warping and is dependent on at least three factors I can think of:

1) Network bandwidth to the server
2) Server's ability to handle the increased traffic
3) Client PC's ability to handle increased traffic.

I'm attaching a diagram to help illustrate this effect. While I'm not privy to the source code for Aces High it seems to me that this should be the case. Planes closer should cause data to be transmitted to each other while planes further apart should not.

There are other reasons why I prefer the large map, not the least of which is greater freedom to choose what I want to do.

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2002, 06:25:07 PM »
Iron I agree that bandwidth or "whatever" ( not a network guy ) can be a BIG problem. The TOD on Friday night was a perfect example. It was crazy :(

I do disagree on the larger map for the following reasons:
  • With a small map there were lots of medium fights ( under bandwidth )
  • Usually one bandwidth breaker
  • With a large map there are lots of tiny fights ( under bandwith )
  • One huge bandwidth breaker
So the options are many for medium fights on a smaller map.

The options for a medium fight are none on a large map because everyone that wants to mix it up ends up in the same place.

So in my view the options are really less in the bigger map.

That make sense ?

But this is from a "mix it up" guy, not a bomber or base capture dude.

The added benifit ( I would think ) of the smaller map is all the different types of flyers interact. Where with the larger map it isn't a requirement. Hence the tiny fights. You have to "work" to find something happening unless you rely on the bandwidth breaker.

It narrows the choices while being bigger.

Whodathunkit...

nopoop
« Last Edit: July 14, 2002, 06:39:17 PM by poopster »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2002, 06:29:58 PM »
Originally posted by Dennis

"It is well war is so frightful. Otherwise, we should become too fond of it."
R.E. Lee.  Fredericksburg, 1862.
Wasn't much fun for the federal II Corps.

Splash1

Yeah... that's the one. Thanx Dennis.
sand

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2002, 06:33:41 PM »
What you're saying sounds reasonable nopoop, however, what I've observed in the large map is that there are mostly small fights with a few medium fights.

On average, I saw more large fights on the small maps.

You did get my point about there being a lot more net traffic involved if you put 50 people in one fight than say 5 fights with 10 people each, right?

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2002, 06:59:18 PM »
Iron there has got to be something similar to WB with a plane limit. WB is 32. Anything above that and planes start disappearing and winking in and out.  When they went to 64 it was not stable. That "could" be because of Mac issues I don't know ( not a network guy :D )

You've been around a long time, I remember in my short tenure here there being a whole lot of fights not challenging bandwidth with the smaller maps.

With the large map, there are a whole lot of tiny fights, and one BIG one.

Anyone having a half hour to set their hair on fire ends up there.

Small maps I'd take 10 minutes just checking out what fight I wanted to dive into :)

With the large map, leaving everything off but the Dar bar for a look-see and there is only one...

So fewer choices and farther to fly.

Qualified with a fur mentality or a short amount of time to fly.

nopoop

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2002, 07:12:17 PM »
Nopoop, I can only speculate. However, based on the latest release notes we do know that Aces High can prioritze "data streams" between planes giving enemy planes a higher priority than friendlies.

I could infer from that Aces High has no hard coded limit as to the number of planes tracked but that as the number increases, the frequency of data per plane decreases. The limits then become imposed by hardware rather than software. No idea if this is true or if the data xmitted is throttled or where by the software.

I can't argue there aren't larger furballs now than before, but it isn't my observation. The vast majority of those expressing their dislike for the size of this terrain seem to feel otherwise.

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2002, 07:38:24 PM »
Iron AH may be able to prioritze "data streams" and of course I don't know that. Noted less problems in a group here, then elsewhere though.

What there is to consider is the boards have changed from "The bish are a bunch of morons" or "The rooks are a bunch of gangbangers" each statement having quite a bit of merit I might add ;) to...

The "game" itself.

Lot of people out of their comfort zone now.

Haven't seen that here as a rule since I've been around.

Way of life elsewhere.

Comfort zone pays the bills.

Everyone wants to be comfortable. Apple carts....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2002, 07:44:03 PM by poopster »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2002, 08:12:14 PM »
No arguing that many are out of their comfort zones.

Change is sometimes painful but often leads to something better.

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2002, 09:20:48 PM »