Author Topic: Educated Computer Gurus please  (Read 589 times)

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Educated Computer Gurus please
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2002, 03:08:31 PM »
I'm getting my degree in computer networking.... seems like a good idea :D

But it's a diffrant area then what your asking about and as you may note I don't have a degree yet :rolleyes:

Really can't give you advice; as i don't know. but knowing what other folks are up to can help.  (in San Antonio the best computer jobs i know of is at SWRI  http://www.swri.org)  You may find a few job decriptions there of what a good company is looking for in a 'computer man'

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2002, 04:55:44 AM »
Heh toejame d00d, programmers do not burn out their heads.

We're simply 'readjusting neurons'.

I'd go for comp. sci. degree. The 'softer' degrees are far simpler and hence there are more people with them. If you got a degree in comp. sci., you WILL get a job.

The dot com era is over, but during that time they hired mostly people without any deep technical skills. Doesn't take much to do most web stuff, really.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2002, 01:44:21 PM »
Do the one which looks most interesting to you.

1) It's a degree, it takes a while & can be a bit of a drag might as well at least be interesting.

2) A degree is a step towards a career. Which means work. Work will take up most of your time in life (assuming a 9-5, 5/7 existence - if you wanna be CEO of a Megacorp, it takes up almost all your time), so you might as well do work that interests you.

Otherwise life sucks much more than it really has to.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 01:50:58 PM by -dead- »
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2002, 02:05:31 PM »
Ammo...

Bro, I have two that I don't use any more be more then glad to send them to you:) .. Got lay'd off two years from AT&T Wireless's big cut..and decided I didn't want to go through that again.. So I run the Family business...the only way to really go any more is to run your own biz.

Any how.. I have a A.S. in Electronics Engineering Technology, and a B.S. in Telecommunication...

Any how I can do anything from Networking to being an RF Engineer. Call it over qualified if you want..but being able to know soild state boards.. and networking is kind of a plus.  

One you can go to work for Nokia or Motorola..if their hiring..Had the chance to take job at Nokia but didn't want to move to Texas..no offence to you Texans...

Anyhow if you have any questions shoot me an e-mail.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2002, 03:36:50 PM »
Ammo it'd pay to check out some industry certs as well, theres big money in places like them thar Cisco hills :)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2002, 05:09:12 PM »
I appreciate all the reponses, really do.  I am not decided yet but I am getting more informed daily through folks like you and my own avenues of research.

Its a shame all the time and resources I have wasted through the past years, and here now at 34 years old, with 14 years of AD US Air Force behind me, Three children and a wife,  I dont have a degree. I have had alot of oppertunity and just didnt do it. I have now made up my mind but to be honest, I am a little scared of college.

Thx for the comments!
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2002, 04:04:05 AM »
Never too late to study. And your experience in the Air Force will really help ya. It'll have instilled discipline and a good 'work moral' in you that most other college students cannot equal.

I'm a lazy SOB. A really lazy SOB. If I cannot postpone anything til tomorrow, I'll try to postpone it to the day after that :). If I can get any kind of degree, anyone can, even gun toting Christian conservatives :D

Best of luck Ammo :)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2002, 05:41:23 AM »
thx santa. you're very encouraging.  I will come evangelize you after I am done:)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011