Author Topic: Friendly Israel  (Read 980 times)

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2002, 12:43:47 PM »
Liberty crewmen launched three rubber rafts and tied them astern. The torpedomen machine-gunned the empty rafts, plucked one out of the water, and set a course for their base at
Ashdod.

So the boat crews were in on the plot to make the ship and crew dissapear ?

I don't think the Isrealis were so stupid that they thought they could get away with sinking a big ship and making it's crew dissappear and then pin it on someone else. Even if they were trying to keep their designs on the golan heights a secret from the US (umm didn't we support their assault on golan heights) . I do not think they would take such drastic Dr. Evil measures .

What happened was a tragic mistake, and if there was a coverup it was to protect the carreers of a lot of people in the IDF and US DOD .

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2002, 12:45:58 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I'll simply put it this way to the Israel apologists.

A simple YES/NO will suffice. Ok? Ready, remember YES or NO.

Do you belive Isreal really thought they were attacking an Egyptian horse freighter and not a US Navy ship?

Remember just YES or NO.  

Here again for your benefit one last time.

YES

NO

Well I haven't been sworn in but as you can see from what I've allready posted . Even though this question is posed to Isreal apologists and not me, I will venture my opinion .
No.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2002, 12:55:12 PM by Samm »

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2002, 12:52:14 PM »
Originally posted by Samm

5: They were at the time being shelled by an egyptian ship, do you think that they thought they were being shelled by a horse transport ?

7: Would a horse transport be able to return fire like the US Liberty did ?

6: If they did ID it as a horse transport would they attack it ? No. So 5, 6 and 7 invalidate the story of Isreal allegedly claiming that it was a horse transport.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2002, 02:00:32 PM »
Some of those in a leadership position in 1967 already had shown a willingness to act "outside the box" to achieve political and military desires:

Six-Day-War Defense Minister Moshe Dayan (former Haganah)
In the mid-1950s, Moshe Dayan was anxious to initiate a "preventive" war against Egypt to neutralize the modernization of its army, according to Moshe Sharett's diary:
"Moshe Dayan unfolded one plan after another for direct action. The first---what should be done to force open blockade of the Golf of Eilat. A ship flying the Israeli flag should be sent, and if the Egyptians bomb it, we should bomb the Egyptian base from the air, or conquer Ras al-Naqb, or open our way south of Gaza Strip to the coast. There was a general uproar. I asked Moshe: Do you realize that this would mean war with Egypt?, he said: Of course." (Iron Wall  p. 105)

Admittedly, if the attack was deliberate it was a horrible miscalcualtion. But what's unusual about that? Pearl Harbor and Operation Barbarossa spring to mind. I think as much as anything, the old hawks in command were pissed that the US was in a position to interfere with their plans. It could easily have been a way to send a message while at the same time accomplish military/political goals with no real "proof" as to exactly what happened.  Perhaps even a calculated effort to claim the ship was sunk accidently in one 5-minue attack, which is a lot easier to believe than a 2.5 hour "accidental" attack.

What gets me is that the US version and Israeli versions are completely at odds, and that there is photographic, first person and logged material supporting the US version. Even if you go by the Israeli version, the application of force -- including specific jamming patterns and the behavior of the PT boats -- in no way equates to the requirements of an attack on the "intended" target. I believe the crew's version.

Something as basic as the duration of the attack and PT boats getting close enough to pull in a life raft [the repeated recon overflights that didn't happen but that are caught on film] make it hard to buy that the Israeli forces didn't know who they were attacking. Perhaps the Generals who made the naval decision didn't quite know what would be involved with sinking a USN auxillary and learned the hard way.

Charon
« Last Edit: July 15, 2002, 02:10:18 PM by Charon »

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2002, 02:01:30 PM »
(umm didn't we support their assault on golan heights)

nope, didn't much support the "pre-emptive" six-day-war either. [edit: and we didn't much like the Suez campaign either, and reversed the action. We have supported Israel strongly over the years, but not necessiarily their territorial ambitions. And no, they do not consult us on these actions any more than they consult us about selling AWACS or LAVI technology (developed with our help) to the PRC.]

Charon
« Last Edit: July 15, 2002, 02:11:40 PM by Charon »

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2002, 02:28:25 PM »
Where can I see the photographs and film of the attack ?

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2002, 03:00:34 PM »
You've read the rest of the thread right? And actually went to the liberty.org Web site, right? The photography shows pre-attack (the low, slow recon plane) and post attack (how the ship would have appeared to a pilot or pt boat captain) evidence, as well as some duing the attack shots, like this one of a PT boat close in. Read the official Israeli verson the the counter arguments. Click on some of the links in my earlier posts also.

If you spend some time at the site, you can read survivor accounts, various other analysis, a variety of speculation, and official Israeli accounts, and see what makes sense to you.
Photo link

The motive isn't overwhelmingly strong, but it is not weak to the point of being unbelieveable either -- for me a definate possibility. If it weren't for the differences in the two accounts of the incident(and the Crew's version making more sense to me),  I would find friendly fire to be entirely acceptable. Especially since I'm not particularly a big conspiracy fan.

Charon

Here is a PT boat close-in during the attack. At this range, if you look at the photos of the Liberty before the attack and the "intended" target, it becomes hard to believe the misidentification could have went on a long as it did (of course, that is not the case if the attack was as short as the  Israeli's claim, again, given the huge disparity I believe the crews version. They have nothing to gain really, by turning this into an intentional attack vs an accidental attack.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2002, 03:06:35 PM by Charon »

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2002, 03:52:53 PM »
Yes I went to the site, this time and the last time this topic came up on this forum . Lots of photos of a very damaged ship, damaged gun tubes, damaged antenna masts, big bellybutton torpedo hole, and a lot of wounded guys in hospital beds a photo taken from a ship of a very low c47 flying past . I also read many of the articles . It is an intriguing subject and there have been many US investigations into it. We're up to ten now I believe ? The stories differ greatly, for instance according to that site the Liberty was in international waters . I did learn that the USS Liberty was actually just a wwII freighter stuffed full of sigint equipment . If it is true that the gunboat crews did take one of the lifeboats with them, that is odd indeed .

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2002, 04:01:27 PM »
I don't think it was an issue of visual recognition. I think the problem occured when the commanders didn't trust the pilots and boat personnel reports that it was american . There weren't supposed to be any american vessels that close and ordered to press the attack regardless of any flag it was flying .

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Friendly Israel
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2002, 08:19:04 PM »
Originally posted by Samm
I don't think it was an issue of visual recognition. I think the problem occured when the commanders didn't trust the pilots and boat personnel reports that it was american . There weren't supposed to be any american vessels that close and ordered to press the attack regardless of any flag it was flying .

Even so, what was the egiptian horse carrer do ? Fire a salvo of 21 horses onto TelAviv ?

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Friendly Israel
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2002, 08:24:50 PM »
Suicide horse bombs!

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2002, 08:27:42 PM »
I don't beleive they ever said they thought it was a horse carrier . Would a horse transport shoot at their torpedo boats ? If they thought it was a horse transport would they attack it ? See my earlier replies .

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2002, 11:01:41 AM »
Yes I went to the site, this time and the last time this topic came up on this forum . Lots of photos of a very damaged ship, damaged gun tubes, damaged antenna masts, big bellybutton torpedo hole, and a lot of wounded guys in hospital beds a photo taken from a ship of a very low c47 flying past . I also read many of the articles . It is an intriguing subject and there have been many US investigations into it. We're up to ten now I believe ? The stories differ greatly, for instance according to that site the Liberty was in international waters . I did learn that the USS Liberty was actually just a wwII freighter stuffed full of sigint equipment . If it is true that the gunboat crews did take one of the lifeboats with them, that is odd indeed .

Samm

Hey, I obviously don't know personally what happened. But there are a lot of "odd" things at work that just don't jibe with a conventional friendly fire incident, IMO. The Israeli version works to paint it as such, but the attack seems too coordinated, excessive, and sophisticated (jamming ops, etc.) and most of all too long to be a conventional friendly fire incident.

Usually, friendly fire incidents seem to be generated by poor individual judgment combined with poor intel or somehow managing to overlook or misuse good intel. The mistake is typically recognized quickly and corrected.

Now, I can buy fighter pilots not knowing one ship from another, though eventually they might recognize it as an American vessle with the sat antenna (rare for the time) hull numbers, and clean gray "USN" appearence. It was a WW2 vessle but it was a larger, much more distinctive vessle in its Intel role. With one quick attack this is viable, IMO.

There are claims that two pilots recognized the ship as American, refused to attack and served prison time under threat for theri actions, but to my mind these are "rumor" level quality until evidence comes forward.

The jamming is harder to explain.  You could assume that jamming is a standard practice against any naval target, sophisticated or not, to prevent the ship from calling for help, or even to practice jamming techniques for future engagments against higher threat targets. However, the crew notes it was targeted jamming, and that such targeting requires a sophisticated knowledge of the comm system being attacked.

Various versions of who knew the ship was there when, also come into play. The crew noted numerous close overflights up until an hour before the attack. Israelis claim to havel lost track of the ship shortly before the attack, allowing it to fall through the cracks. It's also been claimed that there was Israeli hostility towards the ship's presence and the the US had been warned to get it out of there in some way. I guess my problem with this "lost track" version is that with a a multi-force mission of this nature, involving air and naval forces with jamming, against a single point target, much more attention is focused on the mission at hand, making mistakes less likely though still possible. There is an Israeli version where the PT boats sighted the ship and called in the air attack, but critics say that the attack was far too coordinated, and led by the air element (and throw in the jamming), for that version to be true.

As a final note, the actions of the PT boats, the time spent on station and their actions on station are disturbing to me as well. This and the type of targeted frequency jamming.

While I don't buy the "official line" I could see some of the following scenarios. Of course, there may be others, with other motivations, that no one has considered to date:

1. Samm, as you point out, it could be a mistake that is detected by the pilots/sailors but that someone higher up refuses to believe. It would explain the crew's established duration of the attack while still allowing it to be an accidental incident. My only problem with this, really, is the jamming and the amount of force focused on the "initial" target of the raid. The PT boat actions, as you note, are also odd.

2. A rogue commander, who decides it's in Israel's best interests to make sure the Golan operation is successful. Israel didn't need much time to achieve this goal, and could have done it regardless of American interference, but if we detect the move in its inital stages US pressure could have been significant, particularly since we were trying to keep the USSR out of the war. Higher-ups become aware too late.

3. A decision made higher up for the same reasons noted above, and perhaps to send a message that "it pays to take our advice about where you put your ships." A bad call? Hard to say really, if this was what happend and the worst case scenario transpired Israel didn't really pay for it in any significant way. The US political situation in 1967 was chaotic and this was one thing the Johnson Admin really didn't need. Perhaps, through back channels, the Israeli's even made some more pointed suggestions/warnings before the attack (move it or...). Remember, the Six-Day-War was an amazing Blitzkrieg. It was a heady time for Isralei battlefield and political leaders, who had shown plenty of agressiveness in  the past, and who, like Dian, were willing to take unconventional actions to achieve their goals. It is a potential environment for overconfidence, ego and poor decisionmaking (made with sevear time constraints) where the ends justified the means to a handful of people making the decisions.

[edit: 4. Another possibility, an accidental attack where a "coverup" was attempted (by field commanders or higher ups)by making the ship disappear after the initial mistake. Have to look at the timing of the jamming. IMO, this may be the most likely even.

The PT boats did identify the ship as an Egyptian horse carrier, traveling at 28-30 kts (15 kts max speed for the liberty) and somehow missed the very large sat dish. From the official Israeli findings:

The The Division Commander was ordered to approach the ship
in order to establish visual contact and to identify it. The order
was carried out, and the Commander reported that the ship appeared  to be a merchant or supply vessel. The Division Commander also signalled  the ship and requested its identification, but the latter replied  with a signal meaning "identify yourself first". Meanwhile  the Division Commander was consulting and perusing a book on the identification  of Arab Navies and making comparison with the target seen by him,  he came to the conclusion that he was confronting an Egyptian Supply  ship by the name of "El-Kasir". At the same time the commander  of another torpedo boat of the division informed him that he also  had identified the ship as the Egyptian "El-Kasir", and then  at 14.36 hours the Division Commander authorized the division to attack  with torpedoes. And in fact a torpedo was fired at the ship and hit
it. Only at a later stage, when one of the torpedo boats approached  the ship from the other side were the markings "CTR-5" noticed on the hull, and then the final order was given to break off the attack. (The crew contends the attack went on for another 40 minutes after this point, with the machine gunning, etc.)]

Unfortunately, we may never know for sure. There have been a number of Investigations over the years, but there was never a exhaustive one (comprable to the Stark, etc.) from the us govt. There was almost an anti investigation, with odd behavior by the US admin during and after the attack, and no small amount of Congressional fear about dealing with the incident, both then and now.

Charon
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 11:46:05 AM by Charon »

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Friendly Israel
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2002, 11:01:57 AM »
Speaking of odd, dbl post.