Author Topic: You've come a Long Way baby!  (Read 147 times)

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
You've come a Long Way baby!
« on: September 04, 2000, 10:32:00 PM »
I was poking throught the Dogfighter.com BBS today and found this:
 http://www.dogfighter.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000023.html

Was some fun reading how things were before i got to the sim, and interesting views on what it looked like.

<S!> HTC

Now, give us 1.04  

------------------
Hamish!
(On Leave)

<===<The ASSASSINS>===>

[This message has been edited by Hamish (edited 09-04-2000).]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
You've come a Long Way baby!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2000, 10:57:00 PM »

Woo-hoo!!
I just about peed myself when I took my first sortie, I was so excited! All the hoopla just get in the air, but it was FUN!  I watched as my online persona sprinted down the stairs of the tower, over to the hangar. Then I got to see my convergence visually (wow do I ever set it close to the plane!). Finally, I was OTR. A quick scan of the controls... bah! I'll look at them later... let's try 'e'. Woo-hoo! Listen to that engine start-up!! OK-ok... calm down! <whew> rolling. I scanned left and right as I got rolling (check for cons ya know), and... what's this? I can hear the engine noise moving as my "head" moves within the cockpit! Woo-hoo!

Well... the upshot is, I got in the air, flew around a bit, strafed the twr <doo-dee-doo>, amazed to see puffs of dirt as the shells hit the ground (yes, I actually missed!  ). Then I brought it back in for a landing. Hmmm... are my wheels down? Should've studied the instruments a little more!  Too late now, I'm coming in... safe landing. Now what? How do I get out of this thing?! Oh well, let's eject. Huh? What's this? There's a man standing on the tarmac... it's me! LOL, just about lost it as I ran over to a sheep for a closer look <doo-dee-doo>. Started making for the tower, thinking that's where I needed to go (Yes, once you've bailed you can control your man on the ground!). Ok, here's the tower... here's the steps to the tower... there goes the tower... Hmmm, maybe I missed the steps... nope, ran right through.  I finally figured out that I needed to grab my handy clipboard and select tower (or anything else for that matter).

Woo-hoo! First sortie over with! Now... let's go find some instructions!  OK, keyhelp in hand I went online and proceeded to have a blast!!

I really like the looks of this so far! Yes, there are a number of obvious bugs (gear up, then gear down works ok otr, and you can see someone trying to catch a ride on the C-47 if you're looking through the external view in the rear-hemisphere), but I'm very optimistic about this sim.

I like it... I like it a lot!

(okay, I'll be quiet now... back to those instructions...)

Remember the clipboard... it's your friend, you can do just about everything from there at any time (even remapping keys / joystick while in flight).

Enjoy!

------------------
F/S danguy
Red Flight / 401 RCAF Rams
401rams.warbirds.org

What a great description by danguy of the first night of open beta!  

heehhe, I was there too. I remember all the excitement and anticipation over this game coming out. The BBS was buzzing like crazy. Then one afternoon, all of a sudden, it was released! Kinda like the gates to a soldout rock concert finally opening.  

And all the closed beta guys waiting with altitude over the canyons to kick our tulips for a few weeks. We finally learned. lol