Author Topic: New bombers......  (Read 333 times)

Offline Kronos

• Nickel Member
New bombers......
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2002, 03:57:31 AM »

Originally posted by Easyscor:

If there's someone out there who can demostrate consistent results by hitting the intended target, not just nearby targets, I'll shut up but I want to see screen shots of hangers going down

Check this thread, this is only one mission, but I can reproduce the results probably about 85% of the time.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59683

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
New bombers....
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2002, 09:32:12 AM »
Kronos quote:

"I dropped just before the end of the runway that runs parallel to my line of bombs, also, I did not specifically target any hanger.  Instead, I ran my crosshairs inbetween the hangers."

This is your definition of accurracy and therein is the crux of the dispute.

Your eggs landed 1/4 to 1/3 of an airfield long, and slightly east of your intended run.  This is relatively consistant for me as well but I have ignored scoring and hit percentage this tour as every run was spent dropping small numbers to observe the results and note what worked best to deliver the eggs on target.

Here's what I've found:
1. Adaquate calibration can be done in as little as three seconds if you have a steady hand, zoomed or not, makes little difference.  All this talk of rushed calibration,  speed settings and such just confuses the issue.
2. Any decent calibration results in an initial impact anywhere up to 1/3 of a small airfield short to 1/2 of an airfield long.  These are maximums.  The easterly drift is relitively constant as shown in you post.
3. 1 & 2 above define a long narrow ellipse within which the initial impact will occur.
4. Only a Lancaster with salvo 14 can be expected to hit anything vital, at least with any reliablilty.  Everything else is just roulette.
btw, all my runs are straight and level for at least 1/2 sector out with 50% fuel.  They are ment to match expected combat conditions.

My definition of acuracy:
The initial impact point should be much closer to the point of release as shown in the scope when calibrated exactly.  Probably within 3 or 4 hanger lengths, not 10 to 15 as it is now.

Other alternative have been suggested recently which have merit but until those are implemented, I think the primary targets for bombers are still the airfields.  They were secondary target in WWII but not in AH.  If you like flying or killing bombers, you shold be in favor of giving us a reason to fly them.

I think I've presented my case as best I can.

Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Kronos

• Nickel Member
New bombers......
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2002, 10:10:01 AM »
Plz note easyscor, the crosshairs in the pic are not where I had my crosshairs on target.  I had to move them via the calibration key to get a clear pic on the damage.

posted by easyscor

Your eggs landed 1/4 to 1/3 of an airfield long, and slightly east of your intended run.

Umm... the middle line of bombs is where my crosshairs were.  wind had no factor, because I was below the windlevel.  therefore, it was accurate because that is where I was dropping, specifically to get both hangers.

However, I will say this too.  I have noticed that there is an inconsistency in the B17/Lanc drop zones.

For Lanc, my speed is about 160 mph when dropping, and I drop just outside of the end of the runways at a 10K ALT above field.
That usually starts the bombs rolling just about where the outside targets are in the field.

For a B17, my speed is about 155 mph (man 30) when dropping, and I have to drop much farther out, in order to get the same starting points.  This may also be why alot of people are having trouble with the new bomb system.  (with the difference in speed, which is minimal, at the most I should be dropping just slightly closer to the field.)

One difference between my drop procedures and yours is I will start setting up a full sector out, and continue to refine as I get closer to target.  (On average, I re-calibrate about 5 times per target.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2002, 10:14:28 AM by Kronos »