Author Topic: Ostwind  (Read 844 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Ostwind
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2000, 12:35:00 AM »
Well the way I see it there is only one answer left that I really would like to know about the "Ostwind"

WHEN!  

Offline Brazos

• Zinc Member
Ostwind
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2000, 01:26:00 AM »
Whoo Hooo!

This cannon will take it's toll with the new icon settings. I have a 37mm aa shell and it's evil looking. A 1 shot stopper. Go Pyro go.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Ostwind
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2000, 01:50:00 PM »
Was defending A19 alone this morning in an M-16, as it was attacked by two B-17's and a B-26.  After they bombed everything in sight they dropped down to strafe me, as their C-47 circled out of range.  Took them a few passes to kill me, and was able do some damage before I died.

I imagine it would have been a different story with the Ostwind.  

Bring it on!

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Ostwind
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2000, 04:08:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
I only have one thing to say:
We need a tank that is not german for historical tank vs tank, yeah, I know , this is a flight sim, but hey!  Tanks are a nice diversion, to drive, and to kill!

T34 !

Hmm yes a T-34/76 and a M4A3E2-76 ta go please  

Jig

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Ostwind
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2000, 01:03:00 AM »

Originally posted by Jigster:
Hmm yes a T-34/76 and a M4A3E2-76 ta go please  

Yes.  I agree.  Those two tanks would go very nicely with the current Panzer IV.  Later the Panther V, T-34/85 and Firefly could be added, but the two tanks Jigster mentioned should be next.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Ostwind
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2000, 08:57:00 AM »

Originally posted by Luckyone:
This is a nice direction for AH to go. These models will be used later on for the train and bridge defence/assult.   I hope.  

GOD, we could only hope for  more strat!  Hope they do this....

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
Ostwind
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2000, 10:19:00 PM »
So I assume that 1 shot kills can be expected?  

------------------
Rendar

dosequis

Ostwind
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2000, 03:44:00 PM »
I wonder if HTC is considering Arty now that we have 37mm?

Right now, shells vanish after they reach max range, I wonder what it would take to make them fall, at least for shell sizes at 75mm and above.

I dream of using the AH world to pull up in a Priest and start the 105mm Howitzer humming, using some actual spotters to get on target.

XX

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Ostwind
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by dosequis:

Right now, shells vanish after they reach max range, I wonder what it would take to make them fall, at least for shell sizes at 75mm and above.

75mm shells doesn't vanish, those are the only ones that does not..
I have shot at times pretty high angle shots with 75mm just to find out more accurate distance, by watching its tracer and location of explosion.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Ostwind
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2000, 07:18:00 AM »
I wonder if it'll fire in 6-shell bursts. I remember seeing war-time footage of a 40mm AA gun - Oerlikon (SP?)? - and it was fed manually with 5-6 shell clips...

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Ostwind
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2000, 12:04:00 PM »
Saintaw... u forgot my copywrights on the 'Pingpingpingcrack'...A G A I N!

Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Ostwind
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2000, 12:24:00 PM »
I'm with lynx on the 5/6 round burst thing.  They fed em in in clips. (Gravity fed) so it should go.

Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, pause for two or three seconds and then Bang...

------------------

"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
    lkbrown1@tir.com    
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Ostwind
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2000, 02:32:00 PM »
Shells can continue on for as long as we want.  The 75mm on the Panzer can be fired to it's maximum range.  We set these lifetimes according to the weapon type.  There's no point in tracking a .30 cal round for over a mile as that would be inefficient, especially considering the large amount of rounds you could put in the air and the fact that they really wouldn't do anything if you did manage to hit.  For larger caliber weapons, that's a different story.

The Ostwind didn't use box magazines like on the 20mm Flak 38.  They used strip clips that could be linked into one another and fed serially into the weapon.  For example, the Ju 87G mounted Flak 18's which used 6 round clips but two of these clips were held in the magazine to give each weapon an ammunition capacity of 12.  On the Flak 43, 8 round clips were used with an open feedtray(not gravity fed btw) that held two of these clips.  The ammo loader just had to keep piling these clips onto the feedtray as the weapon was fired.  He didn't have to wait for all the ammunition to exhaust before more could be loaded.  Because of the space limitations in the turret of the Ostwind, I suspect that the feedtray could only handle 1 clip at a time for the Flak 43 instead of two but I haven't been able to verify this suspicion.

As to whether we'll ever model reloads on weapons that make use of multiple magazines or belts, I don't know.  It's kind of a tedious thing to model and filled with special cases of every type so I don't know that it will ever be worth putting the effort into it considering the minimal gain.  It might be something we revisit later when all the major stuff is finished.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations