Author Topic: Pearl Harbor  (Read 849 times)

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2002, 09:48:11 AM »
Well, I suppose there could be a Pearl scenario somehow. I think that idea with the US planes dispersed and with engines off unil a jap plane can be seen from the tower is a brilliant idea. But to have 4 islands or something like that is just silly. How about this, you make an early Pac-war scenario.

Frame 1 -Pearl
(The americans will have an extremely boring time there, but anyway, it will be fun for all involved...scenarios always are)

Frame 2-4 Coral Sea
(So now things are starting to get interesting for both sides. If the Japs failed to destroy enough stuff at Pearl, the US side is reinforced with a battleship or two)

Frame 5-8 Midway
Depending on how Coral Sea and Pearl went, the Japs come with 2-4 carriers +BBs to invade Midway. Depending on how the US did at Pearl and Coral Sea, the US comes with 1-2 Carriers + land based fighters.

In a setup like that I think Pearl has a place, and it could be really fun. But to just do Pearl doesnt make sence to me.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Pearl Harbor
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2002, 11:46:09 AM »
Good ideas all around guys.

NO ONE Person has the perfect Design.

I like the Idea below - we may steal it !

Personally I think a PEARL Scenario ( or whatever you want to call it ) is doable - given the right design.

Originally posted by Hortlund
Well, I suppose there could be a Pearl scenario somehow. I think that idea with the US planes dispersed and with engines off unil a jap plane can be seen from the tower is a brilliant idea. But to have 4 islands or something like that is just silly. How about this, you make an early Pac-war scenario.

Frame 1 -Pearl
(The americans will have an extremely boring time there, but anyway, it will be fun for all involved...scenarios always are)

Frame 2-4 Coral Sea
(So now things are starting to get interesting for both sides. If the Japs failed to destroy enough stuff at Pearl, the US side is reinforced with a battleship or two)

Frame 5-8 Midway
Depending on how Coral Sea and Pearl went, the Japs come with 2-4 carriers +BBs to invade Midway. Depending on how the US did at Pearl and Coral Sea, the US comes with 1-2 Carriers + land based fighters.

In a setup like that I think Pearl has a place, and it could be really fun. But to just do Pearl doesnt make sence to me.
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
Pearl Harbor
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2002, 12:05:21 PM »
Originally posted by jordi

Trust me - when it is set up CORRECTLY it is not an unbalanced Scenario.

Yes the US forces are outnumbered ( Heck those LW guys are used to that ! ) - BUT the IJN has to TIME THIER ATTACKS Perfectly to achieve Complete suprise.

Granted - the US Side KNOWS they are being attacked - but they do not know WHEN or WHERE.

What if that ZERO Attack on some airfields are LATE getting there - the US could already be airborne and waiting.

What If the US gets its bombers launched and goes out and tries to FIND the IJN CARRIERS ?

What if the US can recall its own carriers to join in the battle.

It is not as one sided as you may think.

There is a lot of strategy involved beyond the - Attack and sink all the battleships. There is timing of the attakcs - who goes in firs the Level Bombers, Dive Bombers, Torp planes ?

Yes there are Many other battles - but a lot of them are basicially the same - PEARL is different enough to make it challenging.

In Pearl 2000 I won as the IJN but just by a few bombs - the US Side almost pulled off a VICTORY !

Your Milage May Vary

Absolutely the most immersive scenario I ever participated in...  PEARL HARBOR  !!!

My palms literally were sweating while  waiting on the tarmac for the IJN to be spotted so we could lift off...  The Second Pearl, I was IJN and my heart pounded as I rounded Diamond Head and saw the heavy flak and all those ships...  It was just awsome.

I have literally dreamed of flying a Pearl Harbor Scenario in Aces High.   PEARL, with the graphics of AH would just make it the Ultimate Scenario.

For those of you that have not had the opportunity to fly a Pearl Scenario...  Just trust the ones of us that have... It can be the experience of a lifetime...