Author Topic: <S!> Lance Armstong  (Read 644 times)

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2002, 10:38:03 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort

I've done both too my friend, and mountain biking kicked my collective ass, street riding comes nowhere close to the "hurt".

;) )

Sorry, got to disagree buddy;)

And the build of the bikers, you need to look at a sprinter such as a Zabel, or some of the great aussie sprinters, Mckewen or O'Grady.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2002, 10:41:05 AM »
Anyone that hasn't maintained 25mph+ for over an hour, let alone 1600 miles over mountains, hasn't a clue about how hard it is to race road bikes.

Endurance sports hurt. They tax the mind and the will to continue. An endurance athlete has to continously hold the line between blowing up and falling back, red line so to speak, all the while in extreme discomfort. And, unlike your burst activities, that focus has to be maintained sometimes for hours. I've marathoned, ridden 60 mile timed rides, swam miles, etc., and no burst activity comes close.

Of course I didn't even mention the hundreds of miles a week you have to train to be really good, how much of it needs to be high tempo, how critical diet is, etc.

Cried when they hit the ground? Yes, if you're sliding down a mountain at 60mph and you hit the asphalt, I'd bet you'd hurt, too. Compared to NASCAR? Too funny. In NASCAR you have all that equipment between you and everything else. Besides, any "sport" that can be conducted with a beer in one hand isn't really a sport, is it? ;)

You have to be both mentally and physically tough to be an endurance athlete.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2002, 10:54:30 AM »
Originally posted by Kieran
Anyone that hasn't maintained 25mph+ for over an hour, let alone 1600 miles over mountains, hasn't a clue about how hard it is to race road bikes.

Endurance sports hurt. They tax the mind and the will to continue. An endurance athlete has to continously hold the line between blowing up and falling back, red line so to speak, all the while in extreme discomfort. And, unlike your burst activities, that focus has to be maintained sometimes for hours. I've marathoned, ridden 60 mile timed rides, swam miles, etc., and no burst activity comes close.

Of course I didn't even mention the hundreds of miles a week you have to train to be really good, how much of it needs to be high tempo, how critical diet is, etc.

Cried when they hit the ground? Yes, if you're sliding down a mountain at 60mph and you hit the asphalt, I'd bet you'd hurt, too. Compared to NASCAR? Too funny. In NASCAR you have all that equipment between you and everything else. Besides, any "sport" that can be conducted with a beer in one hand isn't really a sport, is it? ;)

You have to be both mentally and physically tough to be an endurance athlete.

Oh no doubt you have to be both mentally and physically tough, but WHY do they all look like they could model womens underwear? :p

Mountain bike sports just don't have the sponsors or exposure, once they do, you'll see the light ;)

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2002, 11:15:50 AM »
These guys don't need to be modeling womens underwear.
;)

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2002, 11:21:09 AM »
"Daff, your logic is flawed. Think of the two sports as "long distance running" and "Sprinting""

Well, doh!

What about this quote of yours

"and 3 times the endurance."

Add to that, that roadriding is endurance with 1 or more sprints on top.

Daff

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2002, 11:32:25 AM »
How about a response to the 10 ten most physical sports Daff?  You're picking and choosing what you respond to ;)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2002, 11:33:54 AM »
you are sooo right Rip!!!

I'll post pics in a few (when I get my computer back) but I can tell you that the NORBA guys would agree.
Here in snowmass, the 'circuit' starts at 8500k and each lap makes the guys climb ove 3000' vertical.  
this is single track, rough-ass terrain that no flat-lander has a clue about.  
speeds.. lol gimme a break.  the downhillers clock over 100 mph on dirt/rocks.

asphalt may be tough.. but try boulders, shale and sharp rocks.. all mixed with sticker bushes, thorns, dirt etc.

the road bikers around here know better than to stray onto single track...   they don't wanna' mess up their little rims now do they.

however...  big to lance..
overcomming huge hurdles, he proves once again that he is the best.

but he won't touch a single-track   :)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2002, 11:34:37 AM »
Road rash is a part of bicycling.  "Suck it up, get your spandex bellybutton back on that bike!"   "But, but, it hurts!"

(In reference to crashes)

Masher
« Last Edit: July 30, 2002, 11:51:50 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2002, 11:47:07 AM »
lol

2 things we don't do in Snowmass:
(at least not the locals)

wear ski 'outfits' (especially bright/neon colors)
wear spandex

it's the easiest way to detect tourists :)

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2002, 11:54:35 AM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng

however...  big to lance..
overcomming huge hurdles, he proves once again that he is the best.

but he won't touch a single-track   :)

I do believe Armstrong tore some butthole in a MB race back a couple years ago. I think he got bored and said it was nice and Ill cya.;)

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2002, 12:07:41 PM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng

the road bikers around here know better than to stray onto single track...  

Good point ......."around there", but living here in Europe I've learned to respect the "Roadies".

.......hmmm, Tomac tried Road, didn't cut it
.......Martinez, ah well we saw him tryin hard in the Tour
.......and Cadel Evans, :rolleyes:

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2002, 12:33:01 PM »
haha ...this sounds like the SNL skit about "who is most mucho" they did it in spanish.

who is most mucho? road bikes or dirt bikes?

rider A  "my sport hurts more than your sport"
rider B  " nah uh, my sport hurts more than yourn"

if you guys like to hurt , why don't you take up elfenwolfs sport , jumping off high things with rubber bands tied around your legs.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
<S!> Lance Armstong
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2002, 12:37:40 PM »
true.  We have a few here also.
It's simply two different sports with different skills and strengths.

for my money, I'll take the thrill of single track.

maybe when I'm older.. like 70ish I'll do road