Author Topic: Have You Killed A Plane With Rockets?  (Read 286 times)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: Have You Killed A Plane With Rockets?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2002, 01:44:02 PM »
Originally posted by Turbot
Have you killed a plane with the air to air rockets?

Not with the German a2a rockets but I have taken down flights of B-17's and Lancasters with the HVAR 5" rockets in the P-38L and a couple of fighters.

Ack-Ack

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Have You Killed A Plane With Rockets?
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2002, 03:32:21 PM »
The "air to air" rockets arent much different from the HVAR's or any other rocket.  You need a direct hit to do any damage, the flak-like explosions don't seem to do any damage.

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2002, 07:59:13 PM »
Mergin with an f4u, I fired off my rockets to prepare for a fight and he caught one in the face. If I'd been aiming I'm sure they woulda missed ;)
Hornet

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2002, 09:30:35 PM »
I've done it once. And it was a deflection shot to boot. Was a dead 90 right angle intercept started from a good distance. The other guy did not see me. Just before we would have collided I let go with the rocket and could hardly believe it when he just exploded right in front of me!

Offline DRILL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.457thbgh.com
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2002, 11:08:54 PM »
iv done it on 4 ocasions all luck however
'i did get a 10 kill message in a 110 when i found 12 B17s in a close formation i came in just a tad low 4oc fired all rockets
then went asasp to canon fired and flew right threw it i saw all thoes kill messages put me in shuch a shock someone got behind me and shot me dn :( but i forgot who it was .
Drill /384th FA/CH 364th

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2002, 04:07:59 AM »
Shortly after the 110 came out I loaded it up with a2a rockets and decided to go buff hunting, unfortunatly the only buffs around were a couple of 32k orbiting the field and plinking acks. So I climbed up to him got in position and fired at him the rockets flew over him and one went off above his wing, knocking it off and sending him tumbling to earth.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2002, 04:51:07 AM »
Ive managed it twice ... once a pure luck buff kill . and the second was  during a vulchfest I caught two planes at the center of the runway both had just got airborn from opposite  ends of the runway and were about 50- 100 feet off the ground ,I caught them just as they came together from a 40 deg angle at 1100 away , it was a beautiful explosion !. ya just gotta love a Corsair with rockets .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline ATC

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2002, 07:33:35 AM »
yes indeed.  Have only been able to hit buffs.  Been doing this from time to time since I started playing in March 2001.

ATC

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2002, 08:53:16 AM »
Twice.

First time was in a Mustang D chasing down a bomber (I think it was a Lancaster) in version 1.09.  I was still figuring out how to toggle weapons and had inadvertently left my secondary weapon to be rockets instead of all guns.   I got so close that I popped the Lancaster in the tail with a rocket.

Second time was more intentional.  I had taken a heavy Mustang to hit an enemy airfield and had just bombed the vehicle hangar.  I was crossing over the airfield to rocket the town when a Bf109 spawned on the runway along my flight path.  As he was lifting up, he brought his nose to bear on me so I turned head-on towards him and fired three rockets (rate of closure was so quick I knew I couldn't get him with just two .50 cals).  He took a rocket to the nose. as the rockets took out the 109, my guns pinged up the N1K2 spawning behind him.  Unfortunately, the N1K2 happened to be sitting on the runway at just the right pitch angle and took me out as I passed by.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2002, 08:06:10 PM »
Rockets are excellent vultch tools, but I've never played with the German AtoA variety.