Author Topic: Level Bombing  (Read 274 times)

Offline NHpapa

• Zinc Member
Level Bombing
« on: August 03, 2002, 10:10:14 AM »
HiTech -

I'm sure you've received lots of comments on the new leveling bombing techniques and procedures instituted in the recent Aces High update.  You may not, however, be aware of the significant impact the changes have had on squads, like the {Nighthawks} VA-185, that attempt to specialize in level bombing aspect of the great game.

At some risk of appearing to "recreationally squeak" (not my intent), I'm writing to express some concerns and appeal to your (acknowledged) responsiveness to the AH gaming community for response.

There has been MUCH communication within our squad, and with others, regarding the changes...including techniques to adapt and train.  While we continue our communication and training, our efforts in the arena continue to be abysmal.  The impact is broad and obvious in the arena; few buffs are flying.  Those that do have little, if any impact, on the progress of the game.  It appears that level bombing has, for all practical purposes, been taken out of the game.  Frankly, many are discouraged...to the point of feeling individually and collectively disenfranchised.

The following excerpt from some recent inter-squad communication highlights our (still good-spirited) struggling to understand and adapt:

"IMHO...the single biggest challenge in any combat flight sim is the BALANCE between "realism" and "playablility"...that's not news to anyone.  Nor is it news that it is IMPOSSIBLE to make a sit-in-chair-look-at-computer-screen experience totally realistic.  HiTech has messed with the very fabric of the game and taken the role of heavy bombers out of the game...if that's their intention, so be it.  (I'll just continue to "cry in the wilderness"...hehe).  I do however strongly feel that (in a macro sense of "realism") converting the AH combat flight to a fighter-and-ground vehicle sim misrepresents the role that heavy bombers played in the events and outcome of WW2 (that's, after all, what is intended to "simulated" here, ain't it?).

Thanks, again for the opportunity to add my two cents (overcompensated as that may be...hehe)."

As relative newcomers to AH (fugitive from another not-to-be-named combat sim ), we have experienced a steep and challenging learning curve into AH.  The challenge has been, and continues to be, part of the fun and has deepen our appreciation and loyalty to the tremendous game.  We are striving to grow as a recognized participant and contributor to the AH community and appreciate the opportunity express, and your willingness to listen to, our concerns.

Respectfully,

Larry "Papa" Holm

Papa4, {Nighthawks} VA-185

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Level Bombing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 02:57:57 PM »
Agreed.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Level Bombing
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 10:56:11 PM »
Good, well thought out, and articulate post Papa. That's something of a rarity on these boards !
I agree, the role of the heavy level bomber has been marginalized.
I think that with practice ( a lot), the accuracy can improve, but there is simply no point in it. The targets and the strat mean heavy bombers are a waste of time.
I, like you, hope HT modifies the strategic system, and provides targets that give the buffs a role again.
Otherwise I'll be flying a Mossie until another Flt Sim comes along that recognizes the role of the bomber as flying artillery, and the role of the fighter is to protect it.
JABOing is fun, but we need heavy bombers too !
MOSQ

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
Level Bombing
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2002, 12:38:10 PM »
Bombing is fine,love the new bombing system,sadly though the toughness of the bombers renders missions pretty futile,untill its fixed,its a nightmare trying to defend your aircraft.
Joc