Author Topic: no night vision here  (Read 205 times)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
no night vision here
« on: August 08, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
i sign on 2 times a day usually - once around midday and then late at night. unfortunately it seems these are the times (non-u.s. primetime) the sun is going down. i can't see once dusk comes on and then not again til well after it comes up.

it seems that darkness/twilight cycle builds a several hour slash where playing is impossible.

i was in favor of night originally but the moon puts out no light, we have no searchlights or flares and the fields aren't lit. it makes it more of a burden than anything strategic.

i have to turn out every light in my house even at night and during the day i don't have enough blankets to throw over the windows to make it dark enough to even take off staying on the runway.

suggestion: speed up the twighlight series a bit or maybe make it only get dark once per day. night wouldn't be so bad and i know some people like it - it's just that combined with twlighlight it seems like it's always dark or getting dark in ah. it's getting frustrating.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
no night vision here
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
But Fish, wouldn't that disappoint all the guys that like to fly day VFR fighters in an ahistoric, non-realistic night fighter role?

;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline DingHao2

• Copper Member
no night vision here
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
Let's have searchlights for ground reference.  And (if possible) allowing internal dar for nightfighters.  Light up the instruments.  And mrfish, if u have trouble flying @ night, always remember that there's always the instrument panel to fly by--thats what I always do.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
no night vision here
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »
I used to enjoy the night when my vid card was the Voodoo 5500. I could see well enough to fight and not auger into the ground. But since my "upgrade" to the visiontek geforce2 ultra, night time is a real pain. Everything is much darker, adjusting monitor/card doesn't get it either. Dusk and Dawn are ok but the middle of the night is not enjoyable as it was with the other card..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
no night vision here
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ding_Hao:
And mrfish, if u have trouble flying @ night, always remember that there's always the instrument panel to fly by--thats what I always do.

wow never thought of using the instrument panel!

:rolleyes:

Offline DingHao2

• Copper Member
no night vision here
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2001, 03:50:00 PM »
well, try it and dont be so sarcastic.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
no night vision here
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2001, 03:57:00 PM »
What good is being able to see the instrument panel when ya can't see the guy that is blowing you out of the sky? Same goes for flares or runway lights or searchlights... doesn't make a lot of difference unless your only goal is to putter around.

Nah... night is extremely frustrating to me as well. And not just for the fact that I can't see anything, but also because when the sun finally does come up the arena is down to about 1/2 the population that it was.

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Nash ]

Offline AN

• Copper Member
no night vision here
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2001, 04:00:00 PM »
I, too, find dawn/dusk very hard to see in.  The night doesn't bother me too much, because I'm used to not being able to see the plane well when it's over 300 yards away (unless I'm below it).  But dusk/dawn messes with the icon colors in a way that make them very difficult, not only to read, but to tell apart.

anRky

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
no night vision here
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
The worse part of night time for me (on this computer) is the propellor blur is awful.  I can tell you from my night flying, you simply do not see the prop, or that blur, in night/twilight.

And if we're going to have night, lets have it all out...red instrument panels, runway lights, cv lights, etc.  And, why is the map darkened?

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
no night vision here
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »
I don't have that much trouble, I just close the curtains, switch the lights off and make the room as dark as possible...

The only thing that annoys me is the clipboard brightness which causes a horrible bright/dark contrast...

Regards

Nexx
NEXX