Author Topic: Combat Theater  (Read 972 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Combat Theater
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
lazs1, gimme lazs back! What have you done with him? He wasn't near as ornery.  ;)

I had fun last night, but there were a couple of problems, the terrain oughta be 256X256 IMHO. The distances across the water are t great.

We need the ability to capture fields, If some of the fields in the east were allied, it would help a lot.

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
Combat Theater
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
I hope the people who screamed for a historical arena aren't the same ones complaining about having to fly 30 minutes to find a fight.  Or do you just want SOME things historical and not others?

bowser

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
Combat Theater
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
Had a lot of fun last nite in the CA, everyone should try it.

Offline DingHao2

• Copper Member
Combat Theater
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
Great job, HTC.  GREAT JOB!  Just one thing: create some new targets to kill, like an infrastructure, rail stations, towns, and fuel, ammo depots.  Then u've got a PERFECT sim!    :D   :D   :D

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Combat Theater
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2001, 09:40:00 AM »
I enjoyed flying in it, but the lack of pilots in it when I was in there detracted a little (only 25 with Axis nearly 2to1 over Allied).  I don't know what the big deal is about the fly time tho'.  Ya want more historical, there it is...I liked it.  Even kind of enjoyed the Axis vs Allied setup, which I didn't think I would.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Combat Theater
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2001, 09:46:00 AM »
Sounds like contrails might be a good addition to that arena.

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Combat Theater
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2001, 09:56:00 AM »
I like it.  Tried it last night for a couple hours.  If I recall correctly, someone posted news about the new arena and incicated the makers of Aces High will listen to the users and modify the combat arena for us as they see fit.  Sooo, after some teething problems I am hoping to see this thing mature into something very fun and different from MA.

It wouldn't bother me if they made the distances a bit smaller, but I don't mind it as it is either.  It gave me time to get up to 25K' and I'm sure gave the Lancs time to get altitude too.  As long as there is some noticeable distance between the two sides.  

In my opinion, the best way to take advantage of this arena is to form up on mass missions.  This place will take forethough on the teamwork.  We had a JU88/FW mission going last night and soon after takeoff got jumped by a squadron of Spitfires.  It ended up being a big furball but of historically opposing aircraft.  Not quite sure what exactly it is I liked about it, but it's not the quick jumps to low altitude furballs of every conceivable aircraft on all sides but mostly N1Ks, N1Ks, N1Ks and LA's, LA's and LA's.  This just felt more right.

I will support this arena though I am of the opinion numbers will be low in the beginning.  If we want this, we have to be stubborn and stick it out.  

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
Combat Theater
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
Is this new Combat Arena the equivalent of the old WB HA?

Is it a full time arena (7x24)?

What are icon ranges (if any exist)?

Is the radar view limited to ground (tower) only or limited in some way?

Is there a way to stay low under whatever radar exists?

What terrain is the current plane set composed of?

Are there any pricing options just to fly this arena only?

Thanks everyone for any feedback.

Regards,
Badger

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Combat Theater
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by bowser:
I hope the people who screamed for a historical arena aren't the same ones complaining about having to fly 30 minutes to find a fight.  Or do you just want SOME things historical and not others?

bowser

I made a post on this a few days ago.  It's really nothing more than different interpretations of "historical."  Some say historical and just want the planesets.  Some say historical and want planesets and more "realistic" settings (that's another multi-use word!!)  Personally, I wanted the planesets, different radar settings and the short icons.  That's what the new arena is providing.  I didn't really want the looooong flight times for a 24/7 arena.  Long flight times are really more suited for the events in the SEA, IMO.  If I only have a short time to play, I'm not going to be able to fight in the new arena, unless there's a huge furball close to my side's bases or there's a CV parked off the coast of the Axis side (in the ETO terrains that is).  However, it's not that big of a deal.  I'll go to the MA or TA if I only have a short time to fly.

My suggestions for the new arena are to change the name first of all.  Call it what it is...  Axis vs Allies!!!  Something along those lines so that people who don't read the BBS will have a general idea of what it's about.

Second, change the country switch time!!!  24 hours is a loooong time!  I got stuck flying Axis because I logged in and switched to talk to my squaddies.  I'm used to switching in the TA and SEA where you can switch back and forth all you want.  Might be a good idea to allow free switching right now to keep a decent numbers balance as this thing starts up.

Last suggestion is for icons, but not just for the new arena, but also for the SEA.  When icons are set to short, like they are in the new arena, you don't get enemy icons until around 3k.  Yet you get friendlies all the way out to 10k!!!  Make the friendlies short too.  That way you really won't know what you've got until 1.5 nautical miles away.  As it is now, you can usually guess enemy if the icon doesn't come up, but you just don't know what type it is.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Combat Theater
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »

Similar

Yes

Short icons, 3.0 = 3,000 yards

Just some vague bar radar, yes while inflight.

No radar at all under 500ft.

Norway Terrain

Don't think so

Regards,
Badger

Glad to see you back badger. Hope to see you soon in the arena.

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: hblair ]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Combat Theater
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2001, 10:10:00 AM »
In my opinion, this new arena would RULE if there were less bases but each base separated by 3 sectors with Vbases 1 sector from each airfield and the bases be minimum of 5k raised for frontline bases and 10k raised for the backline bases (aka, Buff bases).

Less airfield, with a tad bit more separation, raised will ensure people concentrate to fight for each asset. Furballers will love it, mission geeks will love it, as it will take either a lot of dweebs flying in swarm to cap a field OR a mission to flatten it in one swoop. Distanced airfields with nearby vbases will mean that reinforcements will arrive by either mid-hi alt and the airfields will be able to receive GV assistance from the vbases.

Wouldnt it be nice if each side just had 10 airfields ?   :)

Remove the 12 hour limit for country change on the Combat Arena. That way people can switch to fly the other planeset without being restricted to one side for a day. To prevent the "spy" syndrome, make newly switched people be MUTED for 10 minutes when they switch, and dont allow priv messages. If they wanna chat, use CH1 or a country channel or get RW.

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: Tac ]

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Combat Theater
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2001, 10:19:00 AM »
Finally!!! oh yeah.

thanks HTC !!!

problems and all.. you gotta love it.
Give them time to adjust a few things.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Combat Theater
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
Yes, very similar.

Yes as far as I know.

Short. 3.0 For enemy, 10 for friendly.

Bar only, and if you are below radar 500' you will be off dar completely. NOE.   :D

Yes. See above.   :)

Norway.

None that I know of. Good question! I would take it in a second if there were!

Your welcome!
--------------------
CM CO daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
Noses in the wind since 1997
Snapshots & TOD's

Experience is a hard teacher. First comes the test, then the lesson.

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: daddog ]
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Combat Theater
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2001, 10:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by daddog:
None that I know of. Good question! I would take it in a second if there were!

You better not!!!   ;)  That would mean no SEA flying for you!!!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
Combat Theater
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by hblair:
Glad to see you back badger. Hope to see you soon in the arena.

Thanks hblair and dadman... <S>

Sounds like a long overdue but great setup that could bring back a lot of retired AH players.  :D

It's easier to keep a current customer through smart marketing than it is to find and sign up a new one.

Good luck with it.......  :)