Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Ww2 Rts
« on: August 06, 2002, 06:36:57 PM »

Offline Saw at Work

• Zinc Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 08:30:09 AM »
Live Raytrace heh... Will I need a CRAY to be able to play that ?

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 08:34:32 AM »
When that game hits the shelves, I'm gonna quit work, live on welfare and spend 16-20 hours/day infront of my computer.

(oh, and Im gonna kill some kittens every day too)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 09:44:43 AM »
Wow....better pic

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 09:50:28 AM »
Something that just occured to me- why do almost no flight sims/games have rivers sunken into the terrain?

To get that nice water effect, I'm pretty sure you need a GF3 or GF4.
-SW

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 12:03:35 PM »
I do have a GF3, but what scares me is the ray-trace (reflection of objects in water). That is one of the most heavy things one can render. I remember fiddling with CAD stuff and as soon as you hit that Raytrace effect, image rendering would got from 1f/minute to 1f/hour or so...

then again, that was a few years ago, but still... I need to see it before I believe it :)

And Steve, like you would wait for THAT opportunity to kill kittens...:rolleyes: :p
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2002, 12:19:27 PM »
A $100 radeon 8500 card will get you those screen shots, it ran those effects in morrowind, etc, without any added strain (vs turning them off).

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2002, 12:57:28 PM »
I prefer the water in the first shot. The water in the second shot looks like it was taken at 20,000 feet out over the Gulf of Mexico.

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2002, 01:54:16 PM »
Strange... the contour of the reflected bridge and terrain is IDENTICAL on both pics :confused:

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2002, 01:55:57 PM »
I doubt that that is ray-tracing. No consumer product uses it and will not for quite a while. It's probably some trickery with dynamic texture mapping.
 Very impressive. When do we see it in AH?

miko

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2002, 02:11:24 PM »
Yea, the effects are nice.

I dunno...Aces High graphics have such an SVGA look and feel to them, but then again, the playability and immersion really cant be matched.  I'd love to see a mix o Falcon 4 graphics/instruments + IL2 graphics + Aces High flight model/gameplay....  ;)   Hey, we can wish !

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2002, 02:26:31 PM »
There are plans for an update of AH graphics but not in the near future i think. Seems I heard discussion that GF4 quality cards will have to become near standard in most of our machines before it would really be worth the effort. In other words, it could be improved now with lesser cards being the baseline but when GF4's are the baseline, it really makes a difference and makes the effort worthwhile with more longevity.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2002, 02:44:30 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
There are plans for an update of AH graphics but not in the near future i think. Seems I heard discussion that GF4 quality cards will have to become near standard in most of our machines before it would really be worth the effort. In other words, it could be improved now with lesser cards being the baseline but when GF4's are the baseline, it really makes a difference and makes the effort worthwhile with more longevity.

Well said Toad, I'd just hoped some of the "eye candy" (improved graphics/detail) could be optioned in.  Like most games, such as Jedi Knight and others, users can dial in or out as much detail or effects as their system can run.

Looking forward to what they have up their sleeves ;)

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Ww2 Rts
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2002, 04:43:37 PM »
Senna say good. Senna go back in cave draw big dinosaur now. Next Senna draw big wolly mammoth that scare senna.

:D