Author Topic: cpu cooling  (Read 881 times)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
cpu cooling
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2002, 12:34:18 PM »
I just ran a vent hose from my air-conditioner to my case.  dropped the cpu temp 20+ deg's F.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
cpu cooling
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2002, 01:22:38 PM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
I just ran a vent hose from my air-conditioner to my case.  dropped the cpu temp 20+ deg's F.

If you are not kidding and this is true, I suggest you REMOVE IT NOW BEFORE YOU GET CONDENSATION AND KILL YOUR PC

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
cpu cooling
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2002, 02:00:37 PM »
staga, my CPU temp (xp1600) was running at 52C at idle, and 58-60C under load. I have three case fans (the rear two are pushing, the front is pulling). I switched from a volcano 5 sink and fan to the above mentioned product and I am now sitting at 41C at idle, and I got as high as 48C last night after 2 hours of AH.  It is noisier, but not terribly. The ANTEC setup cost me 30$ at a local COMPUSA vs the $10 for the volcano 5.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
cpu cooling
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2002, 05:55:17 PM »
actually as long as you are not cooling the air inside your case (as oposed to cooling it in the a/c unit, then venting it to your case) you will have no condensation.

when you cool air it can carry less moisture so it drops some as condensation, (on mine this happens in the a/c unit) this cold air goes to the case and is pushed tward the cpu by a fan, where it warms up and can carry much more moisture, thus lowering the relitive humidity in the air.

basicly air is being warmed in my case, not cooled so the case humidity is actually much lower than the rest of the room.  

I've been running it this way since May and the amount of dust build up is much less also(since I have the a/c filtering the air before it pushes it into the case at a higher rate than the power fan removes air.  so any openings in my case vent outward and dust cant get in as easy.)

the only place I get any condensation is on the outside of the first 6" of the vent hose after it leaves the a/c.  and that has nothing to do with the inside of my case.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
cpu cooling
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2002, 07:27:35 PM »
I have an Athlon XP 2200, and I was boggling at the temps.  It was running at 75-80C, and I couldn't figure out why.

I had good RPMs, good circulation, everything.  I replaced the thermal conductor w/ silver paste, and finally started pricing out water cooling components before noticing something....

Side view of CPU mounting area

.---____________
|______________|

My heatsink was mounted so:

Whoops....

Once I turned the block around, temp dropped to idle of 47C.  Still warm, but quite a bit better.

Thermaltake Volcano 6 Cu
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
cpu cooling
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2002, 07:24:15 AM »
Guys,

I'm haveing a problem that is like Ammo's.   I run a XP 2100+ and it's been running between 49 and 55 at idel depending on outside temps.    Yesterday for some reason the CPU temps went up at idel to between 61 and 63!!!    I thought maybe the CPU fan stoped spinning.  Asus Probe shows the fan spinning at 6000 rpm  and a visual inspection shows it spinning.  I reseated the heatsink and tried it again.  The Temps still climbed right up to the low 60's.    Tried Reseating the Sink again and it still has no effect.  I wanted to see how hot it was going to run under load so I loaded up AH for a run , alt-tabing out every 3 minutes of so to make sure the heat wasn't going to high.    To my surprise the temps only climbed a few degrees.  The temps climbed to 65 and leveled there.  On a normal day I would be in panic over these temps but for some reason I don't think the readings were right.  First off,  it wasn't abnormaly warm in the house yesterday,  2nd, normaly there is a about a 8 to 10 degree climb in temp on the cpu when under load.  I was not seeing that climb.   It climbed no more then 3 degree's underload.   My thoughts at this point is my temp sensor is reading wrong.     To further complicate matters, my temp right now while i'm writing this is holding at 55 degs, this is a touch higher then normal but not as abnormal as yesterday.   I am useing the stock AMD heatinsk and fan for now but I took the liberty of ordering a Volcano 9 lastnight from Coolerguys.    I don't think the heatsink was the issue but it won't hurt to replace it anyway.    Any Ideas why I saw this temp spike yesterday?    Is it possible the temp sensor was giving me faulty info?     IF that the case, why does it seem to be " normal" this morning ?  

Vati
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
cpu cooling
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2002, 07:42:53 AM »
Not sure but IIRC some motherboards are giving too high temperature values.

Back to work; just bought BlackIce watercooler with 120mm fan, Only4Pro copper cpu-block and Hydor Seltz water-pump...  :D

Edit:
watercooling rules; some air still in system and very hot room but temps went down from 59c to 48c when running 20 Pifast tests :)
Oh and it's quiet, video-card's fan is the noisiest thing now...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2002, 10:36:39 AM by Staga »

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
cpu cooling
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2002, 05:22:33 AM »
My old A7M266 found a new home from my second computer and I bought a Soltek SL-75DRV5 motherboard (really good mobo btw).
Looks like A7M266 heat sensors are quite pessimistic, now with this mobo and watercooling my temps are 37c idle and 39c with pifasts running...

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
cpu cooling
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2002, 07:18:48 PM »
Just for curiosity: I left MBMonitor to write the tempratures to the log when I begun to play.
Soltek mobo has a extra heat-sensor and I did put it under the GPU of Gf4