Author Topic: I wont start a flamewar.  (Read 815 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2000, 12:52:00 AM »
ruh roh!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2000, 01:35:00 AM »
Check your joystick RAM, might be problem there too.
If your stick has small spikes (barely could think those are any harm), your plane might rip apart after code calculates too much up/down stirring caused by some trash in the stick..

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2000, 06:28:00 AM »
Creamo...thanks for the offer. I'll send you a mail explaining wich are the problems,tho...I dont know if I can get it. But thanks for the offer.

Hblair...well I told you not to post the film because the "explosion" on #| channel, not for anything else. I still think that the F4U had enough damage to have something else gone, not just the rudder.

But now I can assure you 6 times I ripped the wing in 2 days. I wasnt looking carefully the first time, so I guess is possible that I was a bit faster...but the Gload was 4G (As I always watch it while recovering). In the next 5 times I checked IAS and Gload carefully. All times I dived, when recovering at 3-4G, 350IAS-450IAS...all where ripping wings. And I was looking carefully.

Dont know if the stick has something to do with it. It seems quite stable and I dont have any problems in that matter...at least I dont see any when calibrating.

Offline Soup Nazi

• Zinc Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2000, 07:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by Creamo:
Send me your address, Ill ship you a USB Digital Wingman Extreme free of charge, Federal Express even.

Creamo, you are being nice....that is very uncharacteristic for you, so I have no other choice than to say...
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

------------------
Soup Nazi
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Click here NOW!

[This message has been edited by Soup Nazi (edited 06-05-2000).]

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2000, 08:00:00 AM »
RAM, had you taken any pings earlier in those flights? I don't know if AH models any "accumulative damage", though...

Would be sad to see you go.  

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2000, 08:19:00 AM »
RAM
I dont normaly find any difference between the FWs wing strength and others. (maybe the la5 is better like Cit said, I dont know..) But I had one day 2 weeks ago where I tore of my wings 3 times.. In all cases it was strange to me. I was in a full speed dive, and started to gently pull up, and befor I got black or anything the wings were both gone. No creaking no warning nothing.
The guys in my squad were probebly blushing from my language after the third one....
Could it be that what was missing was the indicators of trouble? I dont watch the g meter while I fly so I dont know what I was at but I usually rely on game ques to know I am pushing it.
It could also be because I had been flying the 1c a little It seems to have a better pull out and maybe that gave me just a little bit of a bad habit.
You definatly have to try it after a reboot anyway to see if your hardware caught some stray photons or something.
Good luck

------------------
"Stupids are like flies. they are everywere, but are easy to kill"
RAM

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2000, 08:49:00 AM »
Uh, I too have yanked the FW's wings off, and it's caught me by surprise.  And yes, it happened in powerdives.  I thought I might add to the thread by provided films of wings snapping at 350 ias, but, alas, I have been unable to do so (sustaining 5 gs pulling the nose down at an initial 400 ias doesn't seem to cut it).  Perhaps it might help the cause if, instead of claiming the existence of an alleged problem and asking them to fix it, we could provide hard evidence (.ahf) of the bug.

What I'm asking RAM is that, for the benefit of science, you stay on a few more days, and run that recorder so that this issue will be fixed.

Dinger

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2000, 09:05:00 AM »

Originally posted by RAM:

Because I have died 6 times in a row because the same thing. And If I can stand dying once in a while because a weird ripping wing, I cant stand dying 6 in a row. There is another reason, but that is private, only said in JG2 forum. (for the record: nothing to do with F4Us).

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 06-04-2000).]

Whats going on with all these high profile departures?  Many of them seem to be coming from JG2.  Something going on there in Borgland?  Did the Bishop virus we implanted in your collective finally start taking hold?  You been hearing voices saying "BIG SQUADS...BAAAAAAAAAD" .  Halaleula!  

Just kidding RAM....theres been alot of good suggestions made here, take some time off and pretty soon, yer gonna be aching to see us all again....yes even Saw.  

-Ding

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2000, 09:11:00 AM »
Not sure if this has anything too do with it or not...

But way back when, this same issue came up, and somebody figured out that if you use a straight pullup under heavy G load, you are unlikely to lose the wings.

However, if you are using any rolling component to the pullout, you are much more likely to lose the wings.

*shrugs*

Don't remember the specifics since my mind is getting fuzzy with old age. But thats pretty close.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
Actuall RAM,, it sounds as if your stick may have developed a "Positional Spike"

If you are not doing anything differently than prior to your wingloss,, then something in the hardware is screwy.

Just recently I began losing B-17 wings when I shouldn't have.  Doing some investigation, I found that at a certain point in my stck travel, I'd get a massive spike. (I use a PPro USB)..  Pot cleaning fixed the prob.

Give it a try,, it may take ya a day or two to find it,, but it's there from the sounds of it..

GL..

------------------
GreyBeard, Squadron Leader
Commander, "E" Flight, Aces High
Senior Staff Council
"The Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]
"Keepin' the Faith"

funked

I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2000, 11:26:00 AM »
I wonder if it's related to the "rough runway bug".

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
 Udie walks over to RAM's boat and opens up the livewell.  WOW good catch my friend!  I'd throw that Nash out though, they're too boney and not good eating (fun to catch though kinda like carp).  Ooooh but give me that hangtime and creamo, and i'll make us up some good Cream-o-hangtime  in my nice marinara sauce. Then we'll finish up with some purried pongo.

Oh yeah btw,  I've never ripped the wings off the 190 even at 600mph. I didn't think it was possible.

Udie

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2000, 12:14:00 PM »
Actually Marinade you pongo steakes in Pipers Pale Ale for 45 miniutes...then onto the BBQ with them...

------------------
"Stupids are like flies. they are everywere, but are easy to kill"
RAM

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2000, 12:30:00 PM »
Wing ripping is the one area that has never felt right to me in WB or AH.  The accounts I've read from WWII pilots would indicate that this was difficult or impossible to do in a fighter.  The accounts I'm familar with pertain to the Spitfire and Zero.  In WB as AH it seems to be very easy to rip the wings off of these fighters (only Spitfire in AH for some reason  ).

Sisu
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
I wont start a flamewar.
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2000, 12:54:00 PM »
Here's a funny wing ripping story for you...

Last year in WB when 2.6 came out the new plane was the Ki-61 Tony.  Well my squad flew them in the New Guinea Senario.  I'll never forget the first frame.  I'm leading my squad and about 5 other pilots, about 20 in all.  All through the flight I'm saying don't pull more than 4 G's at speed or your dead.  

We fly for over an hour before we finaly find the enemy.  A flight of about 10-15 p38's 2k below us, with the sun at our backs   The dream set up.  I call the attack and we dive on the unsuspecting prey.

I line up on the leader and give him a burst from d3 in to d1 and pull up to gain alt.  I look back to see his flaming p38 spiraling in, but to my horror I also see more than 1/2 my squad rip off their wings when they pulled out of the dive.  Picture 3 or 4 p38's and 10-12 ki-61's all flaming towards the earth. The fight lasted 10 seconds and 20 people died. The rest of the 38's dove and got away, and I took the remnents of my flight back home.

I'll never forget that flight  

Udie