Author Topic: Not AH related.. Outlook Express Files  (Read 276 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Not AH related.. Outlook Express Files
« on: September 23, 2002, 10:54:19 PM »
I'm about ready to format my C: drive on the old computer. Just too much junk.

I'd like to save some stuff though and I can't find where Outlook Express saves all my various E-Mails, both sent and received.

I know one of you experts knows... so please clue me in.

Thanks!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 12:53:46 AM »
For Outlook Express you can find the location of it's stores by going tools->options->maintenance->store folder.

It's been a while since I've done this but I believe that if you copy the files found there you'll be able to copy them back later and not lose anything.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 01:12:16 AM »
Depends on the OS

Win9x:

Address book
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

OE Stuff
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\gibberish hex number in {} brackets\Microsoft\Outlook Express

win2k/xp:

Address book
C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

OE Stuff
C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\gibberish hex number in {} brackets\Microsoft\Outlook Express

But you can export the address book & the messages from inside OE - which may be safer...
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 10:10:35 PM »
Just do a find files on *.dbx and save them off.  When you reinstall, do an import of the files.

OE recently changed the locations of these files so you may find duplicates.  In that case, the import function *should* allow you to delete duplicate messages, or you can check the dates and only save off the recently modified files.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline sshh

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 11:18:27 PM »
An advice from a true experten :) Goto to File -> Export

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2002, 05:11:27 AM »
Just do a find files on *.dbx and save them off. When you reinstall, do an import of the files

Also don't forget,*.wab (address book)

You could try download.com,search for mail backup,there are a number of tool that can help u :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber