Author Topic: F4u1a  (Read 282 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
F4u1a
« on: June 04, 2000, 05:15:00 PM »
would give the corsair purests a ride with performance equal to or better than the f4u1c which from what I understand was based on the f4u1a.

should the 1c have the same limited ordnance of a single centerline bomb/dt instead of 2 bombs/dt and 4 rockets?

seriously.

it would give purpose to the D model if the 1c could only carry a single bomb/dt but i dinae if any 1c's were equiped w 1a racks or not.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

RDRedwing

F4u1a
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2000, 07:05:00 AM »
Amen!

Being a F4U purist i'm all for getting another hog to try out  

Plus I'd highly appreciate to get different icons for the F4Us... I'm being called a cannonhawg dweeb a LOT because people just don't notice that I'm flying the 1D exclusively...  

------------------
Redwing
Commanding Officer
Red Dragons Aces High Division

www.reddragons.de

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
F4u1a
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2000, 07:18:00 AM »
hear hear Redwing

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
F4u1a
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2000, 07:34:00 AM »
Agreed, check the different 109's as well on that matter, as the 4 of them fly totaly differently...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
F4u1a
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2000, 07:51:00 AM »
And I suppose you could distinguish between a 109 F-4 and G-10 from 200 yds?  

I thought so.  

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
F4u1a
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2000, 07:55:00 AM »
Camo, to be honnest, I would not be able to do that if I had my nose glued to the paint....I wear Beer-Bottle-Bottoms as glasses  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
F4u1a
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2000, 08:09:00 AM »
Opening a Can-O-Worms here; we know that the 109 models fly quite unlike each other. Now, besides from the cannons/.50's, what are the differences and how big are they between the C and D?

And why does the D have a relatively low kill/death ration compared to the C?

heh, the last one is a hypothetical question of sorts, but if there's more to it than snapshot ability, lemme know.

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
F4u1a
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2000, 08:23:00 AM »
Cit. I read it was based on a 1a as well. And you suggestion makes scence to me.
Camo. Yes I could
Just as easy as a machi 202 and 205 anyway.(which have seperate Icons.)

Santa..your being bad. I think it has some thing to do with the guns.......

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
F4u1a
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2000, 08:31:00 AM »
I dont care if it only turns 1 degree better, goes 1mph faster, is 30 lbs lighter.

I want 6 50's in the definitive pacific war corsair cuz thats the guns they used and the plane they used to get down and dirty in the tough fights before the allies gained air superiority and held a numerical advantage.

I just want an f4u1a with THAT AWSOME TRICOLOR EARLY WAR PAINT JOB!

that paint scheme just kicks bellybutton    
perhaps an f6f3 with tri color then also ?    

it flies like the 1c and has the 6 50's instead of death ray blasters and it looks cool, it has to look cool or I wont fly it  

can you imagine how awsome a tri color f4u1a would look with the level of detai in the texturemap that the typhoon has? (drool   )

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 06-05-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
F4u1a
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2000, 09:25:00 AM »
It would look like the third corsair back #3  
red outline around the insignia will ensure that it can Be ID'd as NOT being cannondweeb  

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 06-05-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
F4u1a
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2000, 09:44:00 AM »
Actually the reason that the -1C and the -1D fly almost the same is that.... they are almost the same.  

The 109 Series in AH fly's quite a bit differently from one another, because it underwent massive changes in weight & engines (power).

While the Corsair stayed relatively the same up until the -4 Series. This is from memory, so any of you Hog fanatics with a book in front of you, set me straight  

F4U-1 : Original Corsair (43 era) with the birdcage canopy, No WEP, armed with x6 .50's and it had a single centerline pylon for droptanks and bombs, and had both fuselage and internal wing tanks for fuel.

F4U-1A: Same as the -1 bird, except the engine now had water injection emergency power (ie WEP). Non-WEP power remained the same. Not sure, but I believe this model still retained the "bird cage" canopy.

F4U-1D (modeled in AH): Same engine as the -1A aircraft, but the new "improved" blown canopy has been added. The internal wing tanks (fuel) were removed and the centerline pylon/hardpoint was removed. Two wing pylons/harpoints  were added, along with rails for 5.25" rockets. Basically the fighterbomber version of the original 1943 fighter.

F4U-1C (modeled in AH): Now there is a little controversy as to whether this series of planes, were converted from -1A's or -1D's. Most sources say that they were converted -1Ds. The change in these were that the x6 .50's were replaced with x4 20mm cannons. Its important to note (if I remember correctly) that the wieght of the 4 cannons and ammunition, are very close to the weight of the x6 MG's, so performance of the -1C and -1D should be almost indistinguishable.

F4U-4: This variant is the one where the major changes took place. A new much more powerful engine replaced the one in the -1 series, along with changes to the propellor, greatly increasing performance. The -4 Corsair could do around 450 mph. This is the plane that is the contemporary of the P-51D, P-38L, 109G10.

So actually the Hog pilots are getting shorted in AH right now   They're flying essentially a "bomberized" version of a 1943 fighter.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
F4u1a
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2000, 10:16:00 AM »
If you dont have a big yellow paint strip around the engine cowling and are flying the hog in the MA, you are a dweeb....

Nuff said....

DoctorYO

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
F4u1a
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2000, 10:46:00 AM »
I disagree.

I think the c hog is not so good a fighter if you know how to fight it. Its actually a poor fighter IMHO and i think its wasy wulfe-meat.

Someone flying the 1d in the ma is a brave soul. In what way is a 1d a match for a p51? Please, enlighten me. And really guys, I am going to tell you why those cannon are just so lethal: its the visibility in thr hog! Not the guns.

Thr forward vis. in the f4u is phenomenal. You can make snapshots SO easy after flying a 205 and a 190 just because your forward view is SO GOOD. Same is true in the nik, the forward view is really good, and snapshots are easy.

The one place where the hog cannons are NOT fair is versus tanks. I think strafing tanks in a c hog is pretty lame, as no skill is involved and youre just being a dweeb. Why not learn to dive bomb and kill tanks like a man? this way you can only kill 1 or 2 tanks per sortie and it makes it more fun for those foolhady sould that enjoy driving around at 25 mph  

If you wanna strafe tanks with hispanos, please have the courtecy to grab a typhoon.

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
F4u1a
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2000, 11:29:00 AM »
I would love to see the -4 come with the addition of the p47.  Give me something that can really compete with the late war birds.  I can't wait to hear em scream when I blow a merge then just pour the power on to go and reset up again   The -1A would be nice for early-mid war scenerios and the -1D for fighter-bomber role and the -4 for the late war naval scenerios.
And I can tell ya from past experience that if you meet 2 -1D's flying together well that the best tactics to use against them is RUN LIKE HELL!

I doubt we see any new F4U variants soon but I really hope we get to see the -4 at some point  

I hope that they don't change the icons to show the difference between 109s 190s and F4U's. You never really know which one you are fighting till ya get close or they use the strength of the plane.  I would like to see the 202 and 205 changed to Macchi on the icon to give those guys chance to fake out an opponent.

S!

Rocket

-lazs-

F4u1a
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2000, 02:18:00 PM »
All -1's with wep weigh just about the same.  There was really no official -1"A".  The D weighs slightly more in most cases (100-180lbs) due to the  added pilons, not enough to matter tho.   If the corsairs turned properly in AH they would be used a lot more in the game and add to the sim.   A properly done -4 would be unbalancing at this point.
lazs

[This message has been edited by -lazs- (edited 06-05-2000).]