Author Topic: Once again (stick stir sucks)  (Read 202 times)

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Once again (stick stir sucks)
« on: June 04, 2000, 07:44:00 PM »
Get rid of this lame code....  (improve it by making control imputs half or 1/3 normal control,,, not locked controls)

Once again I die not to enemy fire or engagement.... but to plane malfunction (stick stir)while landing..

I understand the purpose of this code(warbirds sucks becuase of instant turn all over the place) but tone it down abit...

some sticks (Microsoft Force feedback dont like this code at all..)

with rudder imput and stick imput at the same time, the sequence triggers your software stick stir.... with complet lock up (usually when my nose is pointed below the horizon, of course)....

Now before you ask have you set you stick up...  Yes my deadbands show little to no spikes as of current.. only when rudder and stick imput are used at same time...do i experience a spike, but it happens at random intervals...  If i set my deadbands any higher i lose complete stick functionality...Flying a brick!! any less deadband and more stick stirring occurs...

Stick stir is a good thing to deter the BS in warbirds but it needs to be toned down...

Again not complete loss of controls but say 2/3's loss that way if someone trys to exploit this they still dont turn very well kind of like a busted elavator ... but at least managable if there is no enemy present landing etc...

Please change this it's completely and totaly unrealistic (Im So strong i rip stick from the plane...  Give me a break)

Improve your game...

2 Camps ago i started 17-0; now this camp i go 8-0 before my plane dies to maintnence failure...what are using intangables like my pilot narcing out when he lands....  I know i push my plane hard in combat but give me a break these planes are that flimsy the stick rips off at landing....)

Really wouldn't mind if i was KIA by someone but HTC your maintnence crew is on trial for manslaughter......  and treason....Put the current crew(virtual crew chief) under the firing squad... and fix this for version 1.03.....

Thanks for you time.....

DcotorYO

HaHa

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2000, 08:34:00 PM »
Huh stick stir lockup code? I've NEVER had my stick lock up ??? Are you saying that you
can't even control the plane a little bit after your stick stir (i.e. all controls
are gone?). That sounds like a driver problem to me.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2000, 09:42:00 PM »
 I have a SW FF. No problems. You have to use the dampers with this stick though

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2000, 01:13:00 AM »
Hunh. Never heard of it.. never happened to me.

I'm usin a wretched old CH Combat Stick; Pro Throttle & Pedals; thru the gameport of my awe64 el cheapo deluxlo soundcardo. Usual driver set; DX7a/Win98.

Dampers up 30%; haven't seen a twitch since beta; never had a control lockup.  

Hmmmm.. it occurs to me that I am not flying to potential with with regard to evasive manuvering capabilities. I'll have to investigate further just as soon as I'm done installing my warp button.  

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2000, 02:00:00 AM »
DocYo,

using a MS SW FF Pro - had severe lock ups when the stick stirr code first came out. HT fixed it after 2 weeks or so - no more problems eversince. I can wiggle around my stick quite hard - only locked up once in Tour4 while pushing hard jinks in a 190. Try to dampen the stick more and disable FF - helped me before the code was fixed...

------------------
~Kirin~

JG2 "Richthofen"

"Ich bin immer nur die Messerschmitt 109 geflogen, aller Varianten angefangen von der G-6 bis hin zur K-14. Die Gustav war weitaus kraftvoller als die Friedrich, und hinzu kam die weitaus schwerere Bewaffnung. Die G-10 zum Beispiel hatte eine 30 mm Kanone mit absolut zerstörerirscher Wirkung. Sie war auch die schnellste aller G-Serien, mit einer exzellenten Steigrate, und war in sämtlichen Flugbereichen ausgezeichnet zu fliegen. Ich fühlte mich in meiner 'Beule' immer zuhause und Herr über ale Situationen."
Hauptmann Erich Hartmann, Gruppenkommandeur, I./JG 52, Russische Front, 1945

[This message has been edited by Kirin (edited 06-05-2000).]
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2000, 06:58:00 AM »
Using MS 3D Pro and MS 3D Precision Pro and having absolutely no problems whatsoever.  After reading your message, I swapped joysticks (have 2 MS Sidewinder spares) and both of those also worked just fine.  I have 3 different systems I use with AH at various times and they all have never experienced what you describe.

Suggest you look elsewhere, other than AH code for problem.  I assume "poll with interrupts is OFF".

I have included my main system config below as it may help you troubleshoot.  By the way, I use NO overclocking on any system at all.

600MHz Intel Pentium III processor (512K L2 cache)
Intel SE440-BX2 Motherboard with Rev 14 BIOS
Motherboard Version: AA719944-206
Motherboard Serial Number: IMS284402197
256MB 100MHz SDRAM (3 DIMMS)
300 Watt Tiger ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 98SE with DirectX 7.0a
21" Hitachi display (20" viewable, 22dpi)

Motherboard based Ultra ATA-33 HD Controller
2 x 14.4GB IBM ATA-33 hard drives (7200rpm)
(Primary IDE as Master and Slave)

Hitachi Model 2000 DVD-ROM drive
100 Meg ZIP drive
(Seconday IDE as Master and Slave)

Promise Ultra66 HD Controller (PCI Slot)
v1.43 WIN Drivers & v1.14 Promise BIOS
IBM 37.5GB ATA-66 hard drive (5400rpm)
(Primary IDE as Master)

1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive
HP Cd-Writer Model 7510e External
Haupage TV/Radio Tuner on USB Port
CL GeForce 256 Annihilator Pro (32 megs)
CL WIN Video Driver v5.22
Creative Labs AWE 64 ISA sound card
56K 3Com Gaming Modem (V.90)
3COM Hurricane 10/100 network interface card

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2000, 08:17:00 AM »
 I thought they did turn it off. When this feature was first intorduced "forget when exactly" I  had this happen once or twice and both times I was purposfully testing the feature out. I could yank the stick around to  the point of breaking it now, doesnt kick in for me. I would end up bleeding E and going into a stall before anything would happen. Using a MS P Pro.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2000, 09:23:00 AM »

Originally posted by HaHa:
Huh stick stir lockup code? I've NEVER had my stick lock up ??? Are you saying that you
can't even control the plane a little bit after your stick stir (i.e. all controls
are gone?). That sounds like a driver problem to me.

Yup...I've never had this happen to me either and there have been times when Im just flying along at 350 in a Mustang and get surprised by some gunfire while I been chatting on the radio.  Talk about some fast maneuvers as I nose down then yank the stick to the left and then pull back hard.  My bet would be stick spiking, since you rarely hear of this problem anymore by any of the vets.

-Ding

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2000, 09:33:00 AM »
Doc;

I have had this problem, but only very rarely.  I isolated the it to the way I was flying.  I adopted a certain style because there is no prop drap (yet) and flaps were very in-effective (was) at slowing down the plane for landing.

These conditions forced me to use alot of max rudder with cross aileron controls.  If my approach got a little out of tolerance I would get very quick on both.  Sometimes triggering the stir code.

I don't think this is your problem, but it is something to consider.

Good Luck!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew