Author Topic: wwII bomb dug up  (Read 227 times)

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
wwII bomb dug up
« on: August 14, 2002, 09:18:55 AM »
French Move Villagers to Blow Up World War 2 Bomb
this seems to happen every so often..it must be a pain for the locals. Any of our French players have experience with this sort of thing?

Aug 14, 8:58 am ET

LILLE, France (Reuters) - French authorities ordered the evacuation of about 4,000 people Wednesday after a World War II bomb was discovered in northern France, local officials said.
Bomb disposal experts said they planned to blow up the 250-kg (550-pound) British bomb because it was too dangerous to move.

Workmen digging trenches for water pipes found the bomb on Monday near the villages of Outreau and Portel in the Pas-de-Calais region, officials in nearby Arras said. Both villages suffered heavy bombing during the war.

Bomb disposal experts cordoned off the area and ordered residents to leave their homes by noon.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: wwII bomb dug up
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2002, 09:34:26 AM »
Originally posted by hawk220
French Move Villagers to Blow Up World War 2 Bomb
Workmen digging trenches for water pipes found the bomb on Monday ...

Dig, dig, dig, CLANG.  "Hey, what's this? I think I hit something..."

"Feel along the sides with your shovel, let's see how big this thing is."

Clang, Clang, Clang, Clang

"Move some of that dirt from around it so we can get a better look..."

Dig, dig, dig, dig

"Ok, turn it over, I think its a weight of some sort."

Roll, roll, roll

"Hey, what the....SACRE BLEU!"

Offline Epsilon 5

• Copper Member
wwII bomb dug up
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 09:49:28 AM »
Whoohoo! Now I can have GOVERNMENT COMPENSATION! Vive la république! :D

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
wwII bomb dug up
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 10:22:31 AM »
250Kg bomb? What's so unusual about it? Few years ago one search team have dug the T-34 from a pond inside Moscow, and that's surprising, but 250kg bomb is a way you can always expect to be found in your backyard. Here we have special troops that disarm and avacuate old bombs and shells.

Offline rickod

• Copper Member
wwII bomb dug up
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 02:32:18 PM »
Boroda you ole communist who let you out of yer cage

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
wwII bomb dug up
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2002, 02:38:56 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
250Kg bomb? What's so unusual about it? Few years ago one search team have dug the T-34 from a pond inside Moscow, and that's surprising, but 250kg bomb is a way you can always expect to be found in your backyard. Here we have special troops that disarm and avacuate old bombs and shells.

I hear they are still digging up lots of ordinance and skeletons in Stalin...er...I mean Volgagrad.  Apparently everytime some new construction begins "something" pops up.  Hardly surprising given the sheer numbers of shells fired (or dropped) and the number of people killed.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
wwII bomb dug up
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2002, 02:55:03 PM »
Ever visited the WW1 battlefields in France and Belgium? I went with school when I was a kid and you can literally walk into any field and find something lying around - especially when the earth gets ploughed. I came back with rifle bullets (some had clearly hit something hard and were deformed). One lad found a hand grenade (obviously we didn't touch it and called the autorities).

Every year French and Belgian farmers are killed or injured because of the shells etc. But then again there were millions and millions of the things fired in that region.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2002, 02:58:32 PM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
wwII bomb dug up
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2002, 04:35:56 PM »
2 years ago they found a german 1000kg bomb 2 miles from where I was living at the time, (Hertfordshire in the UK)  Think they were digging foundations for something. They blew it up of course. Just before they did it they told everyone to open their windows but it still managed to break them up to 2 miles away. My neighbours shed fell down too :D

Gatso

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
wwII bomb dug up
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2002, 04:56:25 PM »
Very common thing in Russia. Around summer house (60k from St Petersburg) I found many things like grenade, bullets, mortar shell, rifles, ammo boxes, bones etc. Many trenches and shells impact places can be easily seen. Reminds what war was like. :(