Author Topic: The Aces High Army...  (Read 330 times)

Hans

The Aces High Army...
« on: June 05, 2000, 03:16:00 AM »
I hope that the army portion of the game is increased....alot  I noted from the first day the new version came out that record numbers of people were playing.  I like the tanks alot.

Still, the lack of ground objects and vunerability to air attack makes them somewhat of a trick pony.

HT said in the arnea once that icons for enemy tanks will go away, and there will be more ground details to play in.  God, I hope so.

The terrain needs to be a little flater in some areas with a large number of small hills instead of the few, but massive hills in the terrain now.  Chugging up hills in second gear or screaming downhill doing 90mph isn't what I had in mind.

Mobile artillery will aid in attacking base defenses.  I hope that their destructive payload is on par with a bomber.  I know the M7 preist is on the drawing board.  It might be a good call (105mm howtitzer isn't small), but I always thought the German Hummel looked pretty good.  Still, the Hummel has no .50 cal air machine gun cupola like a Priest, and only had a limited 16 rounds of ammo aboard unlike the Priest's 64 rounds.

The gun on the tank should recoil, including an animated barrel retracting into the turret for a second.  Its eye candy, but it is something I would like to see.

The Sherman M4A3 armed with a 76mm gun would be nice, as would a T-34.

The big thing is still the terrain though.

Hans.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
The Aces High Army...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2000, 04:47:00 AM »
I find that the terrain ussually hinders fighting more than helps it.

the 25,000 foot cliffs are just not all that great for gameplay for tanks or planes.

in fact a realistically sloped and elevated terrain over the majority of the territory would be quite good.

I miss the gently rolling hills from the beta terrain the most. :(

it looked very good and was a lot of fun to play in
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Hans

The Aces High Army...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2000, 04:55:00 AM »
I don't mind mountains.  I didn't mean to imply that.

Its just that the plains should be mostly flat.  I do wish to see large numbers of small hills (about 100 feet tall) that are not inclined very much.

Trees would be nice, or alot of "villages".  The hamlets wouldn't have to be large, but I do wish to see some signs that there might be little virtual civilians living on the land.  The buildings shouldn't have anything to do with the strat system.  They are simply there to give army guys something to play in.

The terrain editor might be just what I need.  I could do the terrain my way and see how it works.

Hans.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
The Aces High Army...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2000, 06:20:00 AM »
Hamlets are a good idea for two reasons:

A. those of us with bad SA and fast computers can dive to the village and hope the guy on our six has a 133-mhz machine.

B. You want a role for tanks? jabo?  Remember: every village has a church.

[This message has been edited by Dinger (edited 06-06-2000).]

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
The Aces High Army...
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2000, 06:36:00 AM »
We need tunnels trough the mountains!  

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

http://www.rsaf.org/osf/
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
The Aces High Army...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2000, 12:35:00 AM »
I really like the idea of APCs.  Though they'll be vulnerable the new version will make it more difficult for aircraft to see ground vehicles, so it may even out.  And having APCs means that capture finally has a ground dimension, which is where it should be  

------------------

leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 06-07-2000).]
ingame: Raz

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
The Aces High Army...
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2000, 06:42:00 AM »
Here's a real evil thought popped into my head, we all know that "zones of control" extend around enemy structures, fields,factories,etc, How about we put in small bunkers scattered around the landscape,whose ownership is determined by ZOC? that is, they can be bombed,but not captured, we give these bunkers 1 light ack (MG) that would make low level fights,and NOE goon runs really interesting, as well as serving as a viable "enemy territory" function. Whaddya think?  

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"