Author Topic: What do you do if one bomber has damage to undercarriage?  (Read 86 times)

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
What do you do if one bomber has damage to undercarriage?
« on: August 13, 2002, 09:56:39 PM »
Ok this happened to me the other day, I had a really good bombing run, was in the air for over 1 hour had a few kills and had managed to flatten most of the town I was bombing from 25k perfect spread right through centre :D.

So as I come in to land I realise that I have damaged Left gear, what to do?

1, If I belly land the drones will try as well and probably crash as they will still be in formation, = 2 deaths.

2, If I try to land with half gear down I will probably spin off runway and get ditch or worse still crash into something, die jump into other plane find that damage carry's over and die in that to etc.  = possible 3 deaths

3, Gear down and come into land as normal allow drones to land but then circle round again, but would drones explode on runway once I got beyound the magic 1k limit or would they attempt to follow auger and crash ?  = possible 2 deaths.

As you can see I had a few choices and what I did was to lower undercarriage and slow up, drones went ahead of me and once they had landed I quickly raised my remaining gear and belly landed, result no deaths, safe landing :D

But I would like to be able to raise lower the gear independantly on each bomber as it would make it easier to land all planes if one has damaged gear.

Is this possible already?

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
What do you do if one bomber has damage to undercarriage?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 10:31:06 PM »
Every time I've managed to bring a whole formation back to land, if I've done the lineup on the runway properly, as soon as I get all the garbage dropped (gear and flaps), the drones will go into autoland mode and sail out ahead of me so that I have to worry about them getting far enough ahead of me to run out of range and pop -- kind of anticlimactic to have happen during landing. In one case, the drones dropped gear (and, presumably, flaps, although I didn't see anything that looked like flaps down on them), and sailed out ahead of me while I was getting the creaking-metal "you're going too fast for your gear" warning.

What I would do in your case is to make your approach as you would normally, trying to stay as close to stall speed as possible on final. The drones should go ahead of you on final and land; at that point, you can raise your one working gear and pancake your plane in; since the drones will already be on the ground, all you can do is die once if you hit too hard.