Author Topic: Do all fuel leaks leak at the same rate?  (Read 90 times)

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Do all fuel leaks leak at the same rate?
« on: August 13, 2002, 10:04:07 PM »
Was flying a spit I earlier and got bounced by a con.  I was shot up bad (wingtip, an elevator and a fuel leak).  When i got hit i had about 75% of my top tank left (the other was dry) and something very odd happened.  The needle very dropped from 75 to 0 in under 30 secs- it was very shocking seeing the needle drop so fast.   Normally when my fuel get hit i don't see it as a major issue, i normally thought i had plenty of time to RTB.

Does the spit 1 not have self sealing tanks? or is there some randomness with fuel leaks/depend on what size of round etc.  Or is this a fuel leak bug with the spit I.:confused:
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 10:19:51 PM »
If it's a leak in a single tank, you can salvage the situation somewhat by switching to manual fuel selection and feeding out of that tank until it's dry, then switching to the other tanks (assuming they're not leaking, too). This works better with bombers, which have larger tanks, but it should be appropriate to fighters, too.

But if you've got multiple leaks, you're SOL.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2002, 10:39:36 PM »
no , not all fuel leaks  leak at the same rate, also oil leaks vary,also coolent leaks, i think HTC has modeled different rates of leakage depending on how much damage you have received.
when you start leaking it's best to keep a eye on the proper guages to see how fast you losing whatever fluid, also individual fuel tanks can be hit and the rest will be ok.

i have found if you shut down the engine it will stop leaking oil until it's started again, so if you have alt you can nurse it back to a base sometimes, not sure if fuel or coolent leaks will stop.

44MAG

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 11:08:44 PM »
Shutting off the engine and gliding will help extend your engines life when your radiator is holed. If you can leave the engine off long enough, the guage will fall off to the left. However with each successive restart, the engine overheats quicker.:eek: