Author Topic: New model, 'Emily' flying boat, still early days.  (Read 1636 times)

Offline sutpid

• Copper Member
New model, 'Emily' flying boat, still early days.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2002, 01:08:29 AM »
and i still dont get the wing it jsut max a box i have thing and al lti says is mold the box (basicly) but all it does is grow and shrink  think u could coach me a little  ANYone

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2002, 10:24:08 AM »
Blank

It looks really good, do you set up your viewport background with images or do you make planes to scale and attach images to them?

Any pointers on doing scale aicraft?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2002, 11:30:45 AM »
Ok nefarious

I like to use editable mesh as its what I have always used not editable polys but either will work.

Pointers:

1, Research info is very important, plan drawings, reference photos, colour plates etc

I found the guys in the aircraft and vehicles forum can point you in the direction of everything you need. I got all the Emily stuff as Mitsu posted up a whole heap of info , Thx again Mitsu :D

2, I use planes (a flat sqaure not an airplane) with scale textures on them (I find it easier to do this than use background images), I make the images in photoshop , make sure they are all the same scale and import them into Max.

Its then easy to scale the plane with the texture to the required size then freeze the three planes - top,left, front so that they cant be selected.

3, think about textures before you start, as I am going to use the alpha channel for windows and such I dont need to model them.

4, I have only made on engine with one prop blade then once I have textured it I can duplicate them, which will save me time later on.

5, I made sure I had no smoothing on the model when i started (see first pict posted) i then added the different smothing selections after so that I hada complete control, this can take a while as some edges may need turning to make it look right.

6, when modelling the wings I made the whole thing as one to start off, with no flaps or airlerons,

I then cut  out the flaps etc and detached to make them seperate objects,  then patched up the holes with create face/poly.

I'm hopeing that your fairly accomplished with Max, if you dont understand anything just ask and I'll post more indepth instructions.

Hope this helps :)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2002, 11:53:41 AM »
Yes I go to school for this stuff...I'm always learning 3DSMAX.  

Thanks for tips.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2002, 11:56:03 AM »
hmmm nice models

heres my first ever model that i did today and it took me only half a hour to make it look this good :rolleyes:

its a  hot air balloon i made it with anim8or (not exactly the best thing but it works for my practicly noonexistent needs)

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2002, 12:42:04 PM »
Ok Sutpid just for you, heres a quick get you started with GMAX thing :)

When you start up GMAX is really dark so do this:

Views/viewport background   ,    and then change the colour of the background to something lighter.

If you go into the configure menu you can change most things to do with the look of the program.

Now hit number 2 on your key pad and a new bunch of stuff will appear under the menu bar.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok now basics,

1, make a square

2, right click on it and at the bottom of the menu that appears am
click on  'Convert To' then select 'convert to editable mesh'

3, You see the menu bar down the right hand side of the screen, it has 5 tabs,  an arrow, a bent thing, I what looks a bit like a lunar lander, a wheel, a TV and a hammer.
click on the second one that looks like a bent pipe (modify)

you should now have something that looks like the first picture below.

Now in the selection menu you will see 5 buttons:
1: three dots, this is to select vertex's,
2: a triangle, this is to select an edge
3: a filled triangle, this is to select a face
4: a square this is to select a polygon, (co=planar faces such as the side of a box.
5: a box, this is to select an element such as the lid of the teapot.
the be

turn each on in turn, and click on the box and try to move bits, see what happens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also pust keys F3 and F4 to see what happens to the view.

to build the demo plane see last picture, I creates a square, converted it to editable mesh, then used the polygon selection and extrude to grow pull bits out of th square, then used the vertex selection to fine tune th shape.

Hope this helps get you started, everything you need to make a model like mine is there you just need to practice.:)I

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2002, 12:43:14 PM »
to the same box after using extrude and moveing vertex's around a bit

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2002, 12:45:06 PM »
After you change the box

Right click on it/convert/convert to editable mesh

the modify menu will look like this, you now have control over the box.

Offline sutpid

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2002, 01:57:58 PM »
Thanks alot. I just gunan keep messin aroudn with the stuff til li make soemthign that actully looks liek something

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2002, 02:17:57 PM »
yep stupid thats what i did to get my balloon

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2002, 02:21:18 PM »
BLANK.. let's add that bad-boy to the planeset !!!!

Offline sutpid

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2002, 02:22:37 PM »
how do u take the pics?

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2002, 06:43:21 PM »
Originally posted by Blank
Ok nefarious

I like to use editable mesh as its what I have always used not editable polys but either will work.

Pointers:

1, Research info is very important, plan drawings, reference photos, colour plates etc

I found the guys in the aircraft and vehicles forum can point you in the direction of everything you need. I got all the Emily stuff as Mitsu posted up a whole heap of info , Thx again Mitsu :D

2, I use planes (a flat sqaure not an airplane) with scale textures on them (I find it easier to do this than use background images), I make the images in photoshop , make sure they are all the same scale and import them into Max.

Its then easy to scale the plane with the texture to the required size then freeze the three planes - top,left, front so that they cant be selected.

3, think about textures before you start, as I am going to use the alpha channel for windows and such I dont need to model them.

4, I have only made on engine with one prop blade then once I have textured it I can duplicate them, which will save me time later on.

5, I made sure I had no smoothing on the model when i started (see first pict posted) i then added the different smothing selections after so that I hada complete control, this can take a while as some edges may need turning to make it look right.

6, when modelling the wings I made the whole thing as one to start off, with no flaps or airlerons,

I then cut  out the flaps etc and detached to make them seperate objects,  then patched up the holes with create face/poly.

I'm hopeing that your fairly accomplished with Max, if you dont understand anything just ask and I'll post more indepth instructions.

Hope this helps :)

Blank, would you mind posting a version of this picture I could use as a wall paper? I think it looks nice :D
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2002, 08:17:51 PM »
he doesn't want an illegal copy, he just wants to 'borrow' it to 'check it out for a bit'.  if he likes it, i'm sure he'll run out and spend several Gs on a legit version....

¦¬þ

seriously, if the price of software was somehow related to the development & production cost, there might be less theft.  There is a good reason why software is just about the most profitable business to be in...but i'm sure m$ft, adobe, oracle et al have accountants to calculate the most profitable price point to set

Offline Epsilon 5

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2002, 10:12:20 PM »
Originally posted by whgates3
seriously, if the price of software was somehow related to the development & production cost, there might be less theft.  There is a good reason why software is just about the most profitable business to be in...but i'm sure m$ft, adobe, oracle et al have accountants to calculate the most profitable price point to set

1 - If there was no piracy, game and apps prices would probably be half.
2 - Do you think it took 2 hours to make a program such as 3DS max? many people took months to get to some result, and then to test and proof anything they made to near-perfection. Do you have any idea of the SKILL required to make such kind of program? Or the patience and perseverance? Not only you need EXCELLENT programming knowledge, you need MOST EXCELLENT advanced mathematics knowledge. Those people spent countless years at university to ever be allowed to THINK about doing such program. It's not your everyday Visual basic app that crashes for no apparent reason.

Don't complain when you know NOTHING about how the industry works.