Author Topic: How about a Rolling Plane Set?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
How about a Rolling Plane Set?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2002, 09:07:02 AM »
WB made it even more crappy by making it axis vs allied... they took the limited planeset of an RPs and made it even more boring..  if you simply want axis vs allied with a "rolling plane set" then you should go to the CT.   Numbers in the CT and WB should prove what a great idea that is.

no.. I don't think HTC are ready to lose customers in order to placate a few old timers who may or may not use an RPS..  I mean... they don't use the CT right now.

But.. I feel that we do need a place in the MA for early war planes to be fun and viable.  At the con some ideas were tossed around but I still don't like any of em vbut mine.

Lets just carve a 2- 4 sector no mans land swath out of the bottom of the pizza map and make a bunch of fields a little closer to each other (say about 3 each) and make those the "early war area"  Early war only can take off...  Seperate resets for early war area and the rest of the arena.   No axis vs allied BS for the arena... simple really.
lazs

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2002, 10:05:53 AM »
Verm is right, RPS in the MA is a bad idea .

However for phreaks like myself the ideal setup would be an MA, a PAC CT with RPS and a ETO CT with RPS . Maybe someday AH will have a player population large enough to make this feasible .

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2002, 10:29:36 AM »
Originally posted by Revvin
Who said anything about not having fun? you assume too much. I'm having fun but there is always room for improvement and suggestion, to not improve and stay where we are would mean AH would forever be the arcade furball sim. As for wanting to make you play my way...to hell with you I sit here and read thread after thread about people moaning about this and that and what should be done about it to make the sim what THEY want it and force me to play along.

Touch a nerve, eh?  

I dont usually equate something having the life sucked out of it as fun....well there is one thing, but this is a family message board.  :eek:   When someone makes a statement such as you made, it certainly seems like they arent having fun.  

And exactly where did I say anything about you making me play your way?  Or me making you play my way, for that matter?

If you want to make RPSs and all kinds of other "improvements"...do it somewhere else, but not in the MA.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2002, 11:01:10 AM »
There you go making assumptions again :rolleyes: hit a nerve? not even close :rolleyes: this is a game and I don't take it as serious as some do. Like I said you can have fun but still seek improvement, as for the other comments they were aimed at the other whiners in the thread moaning about me wanting them to play my way :rolleyes:

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2002, 03:12:13 PM »
Big NO to an Axis vs Allies RPS.  I'd like to see a regular RPS though.

Basically, the MA isn't that much fun for the F4F-4, P-40B and other early war aircraft fans.  Akak's P-38 and others flying LA7s and P-51s force the early war fans to find enjoyment in not having much of a chance to win a fight and/or to adapt and move to a later war aircraft that provides more of a chance.  Though those later war rides may not be other people's favorite.  (Just like those who would not enjoy the 1st week of an RPS, some might not enjoy the last week.)

Some people whine they don't want their choices limited, but it already is in a sense.  200 perks for an ME262, sixty for an F4U-4 (and a few other late-war monsters) does keep most people out of those rides whether by not enough perks or not having the intestinal fortitude to risk those perks (especially with the icon blazing "kill me, I'm a perkie!")  

For all you people who do not want to be limited from flying your own personal favorite, you people are actually looking out for your own self-interest and not really for the "freedom of choice" you try to portray yourself as being for.  So let's get rid of the perks altogether and make the MA a TRUE freedom of choice.  I guarantee you, you two-face hypocrites would be whining about the "uber" rides other people are flying which is making it no fun to fly your N1K, P38 or whatever.  And gimme an F8F Bearcat while you are at it!  I don't care if it didn't see actual combat in WW2, it's my favorite and I don't want any hinderance to my fun!   ;)

Oh well.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2002, 03:18:20 PM »
For all you people who do not want to be limited from flying your own personal favorite, you people are actually looking out for your own self-interest and not really for the "freedom of choice" you try to portray yourself as being for. So let's get rid of the perks altogether and make the MA a TRUE freedom of choice. I guarantee you, you two-face hypocrites would be whining about the "uber" rides other people are flying which is making it no fun to fly your N1K, P38 or whatever.

ROFL too true :D

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2002, 03:56:59 PM »
I like the RPS in WB I also like the WW2A setup. An RPS would be a great way to get all the planes in AH get some use but I agree with Popeye there are those who only fly one plane because they like to have an advantage and are unwilling to learn to fly anything else because their macho pride would be too badly dented if they were to be shot down.

Going to have to call you on this one Revvin.  I looked at your stats.  You say one thing but you do another.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2002, 04:08:12 PM »
Go on then post away :rolleyes: be sure to pull up enough stats to substantiate this claim and not just one month

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2002, 05:36:18 PM »
Yeah....RPS and WW2 arenas tend to limit options to an unreasonable amount for the majority of people the majority of time.

The CT arena comes closest to both WW2 and RPS combined in one convenient arena.  Bonus that the CT changes weekly so thats even better.

If you want RPS and you want WW2 check out the CT and help it do better than 15 to 30 players primetime.

Leave the MA alone. Thats where the free for all fantasy comes alive.  Leave it be.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2002, 06:11:06 PM »
Beetle,

Every couple of years someone makes a post as you have done, (well intentioned as it may have been).  The inevitable flood of replies eventually turns vitrolic and personal.  Someone uses the word Luftweenies or Nazi, (oops looks like it was me ;) ) and the thread goes rapidly into a slinging match about what is realistic and when planes were intruduced to combat vs when they were actually rolling off the production line in usable numbers.  
The thread further devolves when someone brings out a timetable for introducing aircraft and the inevitable "Jet Sunday" prevents people in other timezones from flying the 262, (ie "Jet Monday evening after the kids have finished with the PC and wife has checked her email and the trash has been taken out and you've had a crappy day at work").

You don't know me from any other person you meet in everyday life but I hope you will trust me enough to make the following statements as "true"

1)  This subject has been covered before, ad nauseum.
2)  There is more to the argument than "it's historical and gets use out of the early war planes".  
3)  The consensus on every other occasion, (other than the first time it is tried), is that an RPS is a bad thing.
4)  Dale, Doug and the team at HTC are well aware of #1, have their own opinions about #2 and AH doesn't have an RPS because of #3.

You said it yourself...

Let me pre-empt your suggestion to go to the CT, as it is always empty or nearly empty when I log on.

There is a reason it is empty.

Spotcha in the MA :D

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2002, 11:14:24 PM »
Go on then post away :rolleyes: be sure to pull up enough stats to substantiate this claim and not just one month

I stand by my original post.  Anyone who wishes can look at any time period they wish and conclude what they wish.  Facts can be so inconvenient.

In truth Revvin, I was very dissapointed in what I concluded.  You need to put this particular soapbox away.  It does not suit you.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2002, 11:18:37 PM by Turbot »

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2002, 11:43:05 PM »
No No No No!  RPS didn't work in WB.  Folks who liked late war planes would just not show up till there favorite ride was available.

AH is fine the way it is.  Go to the CT for that kinda stuff!

Hwkeye

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2002, 12:59:54 AM »
CT isn't really for this type of stuff either.  CT has a limited plane selection that rotates every week and it's really Axis vs Allies and there is little chance of F4U's tackling 190's.  

If we are to have freedom of choice, let's go for it and open up the ME262 and F4U4's.  But then that freedom of choice will hinder your gameplay and you'll be against that one.  A 109G10 to a P40B is like an ME262 is to a P38.

To be honest, I don't really care all that much either way.  I just find some of the arguments on the anti-RPS side to be a bit hypocritical.  Add Sabres and MiG15s to the plane set and you'll be crying for an RPS because *your* favorite is now utterly outclassed in an arena where everyone flies the most capable.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2002, 01:25:21 AM »
I know!

Put the RPS............. IN THE CT!

Perfect!

Worst case you're going to tick off (on any given nite) is 40 folks (or far less even).. much better than ticking off 400 in the MA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2002, 01:39:40 AM »
I used to think I'd like to have a rolling plane set in the MA.  I really don't think I would want it now.  

In fact, I think Lazs' idea is the best that I've heard, of course it has been around for quite a while.  I'd love to have a little area (in the MA) where nothing but early war airplanes can fly.  Of course, you then run into similar situations with the late war planes (like, some early war planes ARE better than other ones), but in general the early war planes are a little more balanced in regards to one another than the late war ones are.  Well, later war, since one of the most popular planes doesn't really fit into the 'late war' category (Spit IX).

I wouldn't want to see a RPS for one reason, and one reason only.  It limits people's choices in what plane they want to fly.  It is their money they are spending, and they should have the right to spend it however they want.  I think the perk system we have in place is a good way to limit the number of planes that HTC thinks would be 'unbalancing', although I would like to see the perk tags get changed to normal ones (at least on the planes that aren't really different from the non-perked ones like the Spit and F4U).