Author Topic: How about a Rolling Plane Set?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
How about a Rolling Plane Set?
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2002, 02:10:43 PM »
I think the trick to making an RPS work would be NOT to combine it with an Axis/Allied setup.  

As long as all sides have access to any plane in the current RPS you can avoid the advantage swings but still allow the utilization of the entire plane set.

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2002, 02:22:10 PM »
JAB... If Im wrong about seperate arenas then you cerrtainly couldn't tell byu looking at AW right now..  As for past AW .. I don't know about it except for Dos days.   Currently... no sim I know does well with seperate arenas and... no matter what... seperate arenas don't work for squads (divisive)and for sims that don't have a lot orf players on 24/7.    Seperate arenas divide the community...  

Seperate arenas just allways have one with no one in it and the one with no one in it allways has an excuse .   Mostly, this is players saying that it would be full if it were modified the way THEY want..

RPS is better if it is not allied vs axis (as is any arena) but... it still doesn't cater to the people who won't fly when they can't fly their favorite ride.   Like it or not.... there are a lot of folks like that so let's just deal with that reality.

What I am getting from a lot of the axis vs allied guys and the "realism" guys and the RPS guys is....  "sure, we realize that it may cut HTC's income in half or worse if he caters to us but that is a sacrafice we are willing to make".
lazs
lazs
« Last Edit: August 19, 2002, 02:24:25 PM by lazs2 »

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2002, 02:23:19 PM »
I have never been able to associate reducing selection with increasing diversity.

AKDejaVu

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2002, 02:40:39 PM »
AW operated with quite a few arenas.  Most were RR but thats where the player base wanted to be.

There was ETO1, ETO2 and BIG PAC all RR as well as korea and fightertown

The one arena most tried to get into was eto1, but there were quite a few who were dedicated to eto2.  Was strange wandering into eto2 (when eto1 was full) to see lots of names i didn't recognize.
Big pac had its own following as well of course (for the bloo planes as much as anything)

If HTC went with 2 250 player arenas we would have the 1st with 250ppl in it and a second with 150+ in it during primetime and offhours likely just #1 with players in it at slow times.  As the player base grows dedication to the 2nd would come at least with the north american players.

Myself, i like the idea of multiple arenas but i can understand that the costs associated may be hard fer htc to take.

In AW when eto1 was full it rarely took more than 20 minutes to get in.  With 250 players there is always someone loggin out.

Perhaps reducing the # of clients to the MA and running somethin like lazs idea would work in MA#2...

SKurj

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2002, 02:43:44 PM »
"Currently... no sim I know does well with seperate arenas "

A slightly different issue than the idea of separate arenas not working at all       Just because AW is no longer around (thanks to corporate mis-management) doesn't invalidate the lessons learned there.  

I'm just saying that done properly, separate arenas can work well.   Set up poorly (like currently in AH), they fail.   You mention that for separate arenas to work a game needs fairly consistent 24/7 numbers, which AH does not currently have--that does pose a problem, although possibly no more of a problem than we already have (Mindanao is fun with 250 on but sort of crowded with 500 on and rather empty when there's 80 online).

Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread so I think i'll stop discussing this here  :)

J_A_B

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2002, 03:04:48 PM »
I have never been able to associate reducing selection with increasing diversity.

Sorry DJ but that just doesn't make much sense to me.

Does AH allow me to fly an F-86?  Does AH allow me to fly an F-16?  Does AH allow me to fly an F-22?  Well, no.  Is AH then limiting my selection and reducing diversity?  Well....yes.  

By its very nature AH is already limiting your selection and diversity by limiting your selections to a particular historical window that is CURRENTLY framed across the entire span of WWII.  

Its perfectly valid for AH to limit you selection and diversity to the aircraft available within the context of the historical window they are trying to present.  What ever the boundries of that frame are.

A RPS would simply be divinding a single large window into a series of smaller sequiential windows.  At each frame, its still valid to limit your selection and diversity to the aircraft available within the context of the historical window they are trying to present.  

They'd just be presenting a series of smaller windows instead of one big one.  Its only a difference of degree, not of kind.

Btw,  I don't think the planeset is filled out enough yet for a RPS. ;)

Regards,
Wab
« Last Edit: August 19, 2002, 03:14:11 PM by AKWabbit »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2002, 03:06:20 PM »
no JAB.... didn't mean your points weren't valid but I don't really want relaxed realism in AH.   I would point out tho that we have currently 2 very different arenas in AH and that one is deserted.
lazs

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2002, 03:10:25 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
"Currently... no sim I know does well with seperate arenas "

A slightly different issue than the idea of separate arenas not working at all       Just because AW is no longer around (thanks to corporate mis-management) doesn't invalidate the lessons learned there.  

I'm just saying that done properly, separate arenas can work well.   Set up poorly (like currently in AH), they fail.   You mention that for separate arenas to work a game needs fairly consistent 24/7 numbers, which AH does not currently have--that does pose a problem, although possibly no more of a problem than we already have (Mindanao is fun with 250 on but sort of crowded with 500 on and rather empty when there's 80 online).

Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread so I think i'll stop discussing this here  :)

J_A_B

J_A_B is correct.  AW demise had nothing to do with its multiple arenas and AW showed that multiple arenas do work and is a viable alternative.  I remember back when AW4W came out and we had 5 RR Euro arenas, everyone of them full to capacity on most nights.  But that was when the average numbers of players a weekend routinely went over 1000+.  

Ack-Ack

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2002, 07:35:48 PM »
AKDejaVu:  I have never been able to associate reducing selection with increasing diversity.

It's actually a simple principal in and of itself.  Say for example everyone can duke it out in a boxing ring and the choices are a gun, a club, a slingshot and some ropes.  You know everyone is going to take the gun with possibly some occasional nutball selecting a club.  The one selection (gun) makes all other selections outclassed and really invalid.  Take away the gun and those other options become more viable and you'll see a greater selection.  I'm not sure that's a very good example though and I'm sure you can come up with a better one but I hope you get the gist.  As for applying this to AH?....

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2002, 10:36:25 PM »
NO NO and NO!  No RPS.  Go the WB if that's your gig.

Hawkeye
The Original Flying Tigers

RRROOOAAARRR!!

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2002, 11:50:12 PM »
I'd love a Rolling plane set!!
And then there would be no more "That plane wouldnt survive in ma" excuse when someone wants a plane earlier then 1943 :D ;)