Author Topic: Y Don't I Get It?  (Read 152 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Y Don't I Get It?
« on: August 16, 2002, 05:02:08 PM »
I've tried diligently to become competent with the new horizontal bombing system, but I just can't get the Y setting.  Must have done that a hundred times with a hundred different bombing results.

Y can't I get it?  If I can't, and many others can't, and the expected bomber population explosion has become a bomber scarcity, maybe ... Y needs to be dumbed down for us mortals?

Please no more laser hyper accuracy, but please make the Y setting so simple that even an elementary school student could understand it.   Make it fun, make it challenging, but most of all make it doable for the average Aces High customer.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Re: Y Don't I Get It?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 04:48:03 AM »
Originally posted by Halo
... make the Y setting so simple that even an elementary school student could understand it.

... make it doable for the average Aces High customer.

LOL! Channel 1 talk supports this ;)

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Y Don't I Get It?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 05:44:47 AM »
Pick a point just forward of your bomber, hold down the Y key for around 5 seconds the bombsight will passalmost directly under you, be sure to also hold the crosshair steady on the horizontal plane and you're bombs should drop where you press the release button...mine do it's not rocket science.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Y Don't I Get It?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2002, 07:40:52 AM »
Your speed needs to be perfectly stable, your altitude needs to be perfectly stable.  A change in either after calibrating will throw it way off.

Using Y to mark a point on the ground is quite simple.  However, the two seconds noted in the help is the MINIMUM mark time.  If you're 10feet off on a 100foot long path, you're going to have a large error.  If you're 10feet off on a 1000foot path, the error is much smaller.

The longer you mark a point for the smaller the error will be.

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Y Don't I Get It?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 08:00:56 AM »
also when you mark zoom in as close as possible to the ground
z to activate [ ] to zoom in and out.and, and hold Y for ages.

And you should be hitting towns from 25k in no time :)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Y Don't I Get It?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 08:59:19 AM »
The best way to practice is to go offline, turn on the divebomb sight.  This way, after you calibrate you'll see the results of your calibration instantly.

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
Y Don't I Get It?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 04:52:56 PM »
Originally posted by Innominate
The best way to practice is to go offline, turn on the divebomb sight.  

OK, that sounds like a good idea.  So how does one 'turn on' the divebombing sight?

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
Y Don't I Get It?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 05:22:22 PM »
It's default on in the TA.  My question is, how do you turn it off in the TA?