Author Topic: A simple interface suggestion  (Read 114 times)

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
A simple interface suggestion
« on: August 19, 2002, 05:38:01 PM »
I would just like to suggest that you somehow indicate and/or disable clicks on planes/vehicles that cannot be flown from a certain field while in the Hangar.  It's just somewhat of a waste of time to click on, say, an Ostwind in a rush to defend your field, to pick the right loadout, then to find out that it isn't available.  Essentially I'm asking for the same thing that occurs when you are in the Hangar on a CV:  just greyed out text is fine with me.

Also, the same is true for ordinance and fuel.  I know it sounds silly, but finding out a base cannot support a certain fuel load wastes two clicks (the first on the fuel and the second on the "Can't Do That" window).  These two clicks can be invaluable to someone who is in a scramble to defend a base.  Again, some sort of simple graphic representation would be fine (either the verboten item being grey or red or what have you).

And one more unrelated suggestion:  Could we please have loadout indicated on the bomb site screen.  I know a real bomber would know what's in his bay, but in AH we have many roles to play in buffs so it would be nice to have one less thing on our minds.

Overall I have to say that Aces High is an excellent game.  By day 2 of my 2 week trial I knew I would subscribe.  And it simply gets better and better for me.  I also have to say that the develpoment team has added so many pleasurable and convenient details that I often smile while doing simple things like saving my head position or squelching channel 1 :p

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 06:03:50 PM »
Fancy, what you have requested is already available.

1) On the hangar screen there is a check box on the upper left of the vehicle list that says "Show Enabled Vehicles Only".  Click this and then it will only display vehicles that are currently available.

2) Check the chalkboard that is in the tower at each field.  It tells you how much fuel is available, whether the ordinance is available etc.

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 10:11:04 PM »
Well, my response to both of those points (albeit valid) is that information should be consolidated.  Why should I even be able to select a craft that isn't available?  Why should there be a switch to the job that the interface should do for me?  Even allowing me to select the plane/vehicle, but giving me a graphical tip that it's unavailable would be cleaner.  Also, why should there be information most pertinent to one area in another area entirely?

I guess if you want to make the "realism" cry then it would "realistically" be like a hangar full of planes which the CO tells you are unavailable....after you climb into the cockpit.

Basically, I just think this minor logistical cleanup would help me move from the field, to the tower, to the hangar, and back to the field in a quicker and more convenient manner.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 10:59:07 PM »
click the show enabled only i think is persistent.  Click it today and it will always be that way until you unclick it...  Still not sure if that removes the objects based on hangars tho... It may be just base vehicle listing listing, and show which are enabled in general.  Not base current status specific .. guess I have to try it

This is one thing I've never used..

SKurj

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 09:34:28 AM »
2) Check the chalkboard that is in the tower at each field. It tells you how much fuel is available, whether the ordinance is available etc.

Simple scenario, one that I've had happen to me: I land my IL-2 at a field, and I'm missing my left aileron and have an oil leak, so I want to get a fresh plane rather than just rearm. I exit, then click to take off. Pop-up: Ordnance is disabled. I click to close the pop-up, click to close the second disabled-ordnance pop-up, and then go to the hangar. Pop-up: Ordnance is disabled. I click to close the pop-up, click to close the second disabled-ordnance pop-up, and select no bomb load. Pop-up: Ordnance is disabled. I click to close the pop-up, press ESC to hide the clipboard, and select no rockets. I press ESC to bring the clipboard back up and select a launch direction. Pop-up: Fuel load is limited to 50%. I click to close the pop-up, select 50% fuel, and then I can take off. Except that, only after I go through all this process do I get the pop-up "You are unable to fly that plane from this field" because someone's popped the last FH at the field while I was fighting the FE to get it to not load what I couldn't take.

So why, when the FE pops up the 'Ordnance is disabled' window -- and it does it twice, once for bombs and once for rockets -- does it not set my ordnance loadout to 'none' automatically, rather than making me go back and unselect them, and the same for fuel -- after telling me that my maximum fuel load is 50%, why do I have to manually select 50% fuel load, instead of setting my fuel load to 50% for me? And if I'd had drop tanks, it would have been worse -- I'd have gotten three ordnance pop-ups -- two for when I had both bombs and rockets and one for when I selected no bomb load but still had rockets -- a pop-up for no drop tanks available, and a pop-up for only 50% fuel available. If the available fuel is under 125%, drop tanks are unavailable, so 50% fuel limit implies the unavailability of drop tanks; a separate check is redundant.

I can just imagine the conversation the pilot is having with his ground crew: "Same loadout as last sortie." "We don't have any bombs for you." "Okay." "And we don't have any rockets." "Okay. Then I won't take any bombs." "We don't have any rockets." "You said that already. So I won't take any rockets." "We don't have any drop tanks." "Okay, so don't mount any drop tanks." "We can only give you a 50% fuel load." "Okay, give me what you can." "And we don't have a plane for you to fly." It sounds like the ground crew are all morons.

Done intelligently, you would go to the hangar and immediately get a 'You can't fly that plane' pop-up if the hangar(s) are down so you don't have to go any further, and when you get an 'Ordnance is disabled' pop-up, you click on it, and your ordnance loadouts are set to nothing. If the fuel loadout is below what you had, you get the 'Max fuel is X%' pop-up, you click on it, and your fuel load is set to the maximum available, eliminating drop tanks if necessary. Or not even have to go to the hangar. You try to take off, and get the same pop-ups, and your ordnance and fuel loads are reset for you.

The same conversation with a much more intelligent ground crew: "Give me what I had last sortie." "Sorry, sir, we don't have a plane for you." "Okay, I'll run over to [insert field here] and try there." Or, if planes are available, "We don't have any bombs or rockets." "Okay, skip the ordnance." "And we can only give you 50% fuel, so no drop tanks." "Okay, give me what you can."

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 01:16:12 PM »
The problem with the field automatically changing your loadout is this...  You click a field not realizing its porked.  It changes your loadout.. You decide ohh its porked I go elsewhere.  You change fields and click fly, not realizing that u now have no ord and 25% fuel...

SKurj

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 04:16:41 PM »
Because of the point SKurj just made I don't promote auto-changing of ord/fuel.  I just want a graphical indication on the Hangar screen.  So, let's say you land having take off w/ 100% Fuel.  The base can only support 50%.  You go into Hangar and the selector is still on 100%, but the 4 barrels icon is greyed out or red or what have you.  So you change it.  Or maybe your dense and you don't see it, THEN, when you try to hit the field you get the popup and maybe the auto-change.

So, you see the base has been porked down to 25% by looking at the Hangar screen, so you decide to go elsewhere and the selector is still on 100% or what have you.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 07:01:46 PM »
The problem with the field automatically changing your loadout is this... You click a field not realizing its porked. It changes your loadout.. You decide ohh its porked I go elsewhere. You change fields and click fly, not realizing that u now have no ord and 25% fuel...

One minor interface change: The 'invalid loadout' popups have two buttons: OK and Cancel. You click on the OK button, and your loadout is changed to match the field restrictions; click on Cancel, and your loadout doesn't change. So you land at the porked field, and try to relaunch; you get a pop-up: "Ordnance is disabled at this field. OK/Cancel", and can decide whether to continue at this field with its porkage or go elsewhere and get full gear.