Author Topic: Does Charlie Bond Know?  (Read 126 times)

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Does Charlie Bond Know?
« on: August 23, 2002, 10:58:44 AM »
I have him listed with 8.77 Victories, you have the P-40 with 11.5?

You don't have his name.

I think the colors are a little pastel, both the brown and green should be darker?

There was some red trim in the eye.

Do you have the Osprey/Terril Clements American Volunteer Group Colours and Markings book.

Why didn't you model Gregory Boyingtons #21?
Or RT Smith or Chuck Older's planes?

Are you all kosher with the artwork with the Flying Tigers association?

Flying Tigers/AVG

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
Does Charlie Bond Know?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 11:49:26 AM »
Haven't heard from Hatch in a while, he up and dumped me and thats the last I've done with WWIIOL.

Income is kinda low, so have to find "Free" online play, or get Warcraft III.

BTW the Model is Charlie Bonds P-40 B (C) of the AVG, and I was referring to that.

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
Does Charlie Bond Know?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 10:20:25 PM »
Yes,

According to what I understand from the Flying Tigers association they own the Copywright to the Green Apple of the First Pursuit Squadron, the Hell Angel of the 3rd Pursuit, and the Panda Bear of the second, and the Disney Flying Tiger itself.

I was going to mention that HTC had modeled Charlie Bonds P-40, but I don't want to get HTC in trouble by doing so.  (Even though there is questions as to accuracy of the artwork.)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Does Charlie Bond Know?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2002, 02:55:18 AM »
Originally posted by Downtown
Yes,

According to what I understand from the Flying Tigers association they own the Copywright to the Green Apple of the First Pursuit Squadron, the Hell Angel of the 3rd Pursuit, and the Panda Bear of the second, and the Disney Flying Tiger itself.

I was going to mention that HTC had modeled Charlie Bonds P-40, but I don't want to get HTC in trouble by doing so.  (Even though there is questions as to accuracy of the artwork.)

There is little reason to be comcerned, the Flying Tigers Association will not be upset whatsoever. I've already mentioned the HTC Tomahawk to several of the AVG and they thought it was great that the AVG is represented in Aces High.

BTW, most of the AVG members did not hold Boyington in very high regard. In fact, I have never heard any of them say anything good about Boyington. Indeed, the impression I got was that he was widely disliked. His big mouth and being a mean drunk being two things that turned his fellow Flying Tigers off.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
Does Charlie Bond Know?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 08:01:32 AM »
According to Brad Smith, RT's son, Greg Boyington was more popular than the myth suggests.   Many people thought he was a very very good fighter pilot.   Several people agreed that he should have been made squadron leader after Sandell was killed.  And when he wasn't drinking he was a hell of a swell fella.

Yes he had issues, but so did several other AVG Pilots, they were board, lonely, far away from home without decent facilities, under attack, in a war zone with weapons and alcohol.

He seemed to be resented by those people who had positions of authority in the AVG because he wasn't afraid to speak up, and of course thise made him feel persecuted, which made matters worse.

Also, Charlie Bond liked him.

Whom of the AVG have you chatted with?  I've had several conversations with Erik Shilling, and was saddened to learn he passed.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Does Charlie Bond Know?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2002, 11:40:04 AM »
DownTown

Welcome back!