Author Topic: I know this isn't the right place for this but.....  (Read 637 times)

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
I know this isn't the right place for this but.....
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2002, 11:43:31 AM »
good idea Wotan.

Same symptoms hit me 5 years ago. Turned out to be a Type 2 cause. Under control now, but I had to give up flying :(

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2002, 12:22:08 PM »
I have the same tendencies.  Here is what I've found for me personally (note I am not a MD):

Sleep is an important variable.  A lot of people don't realize how much.  When you're under stress you need more sleep than normal which paradoxically is more difficult to get when you're under stress.  I need 8 hour Minimum.  I function better on 9 hrs.  Different people have different requirements.  Not getting enough uninterrupted sleep can have subtle effects on your mood swings even if you don't feel groggy and tired.  Also, your sleep schedule should be kept regular.  Allow your body to balance out into a predictable rhythm.  Staying up all night on the weekends partying just throws you out of balance the rest of the week.  Booze will harm your sleep cycle.  A lot of people think they go to sleep easier after a few drinks.  They may start sleeping easier but they won't go into deep rem as easily.   Without the rem you're wasting your time.  On night you are really having trouble sleeping you could try Melatonin  (natural supplement) or an over the counter sleep aid.  Only use sleep aids on occasions, but it’s better than not sleeping.  Most of them use the ingredient in allergy medicine that makes you so sleepy.  They’re safe and non-habit forming and don’t leave you whacked out in the morning.

Exercise.  It doesn’t have to be strenuous.  A good brisk 30 min walk each evening can do wonders.  It relieves stress and produces endorphins.

Make sure you’re getting all your vitamins.  Especially B12.  A supplement can’t hurt.  

Also what Wotan said.  Blood sugar swings can have a big effect.  The biggest culprit is processed sugar.  That toejam should be labeled a poison.  Try cutting out all candy, cakes, ice-cream, donuts, etc for a couple of weeks.  Try fruit, grapes etc instead.  I like those Bluebell sugar free bullitpops. ;) Hmmm.   You would be shocked at how much sugar is in a can of regular coke. :eek:

Also you my try “St. Johns Wort”  a common natural supplement.  It’s a natural anti-depressant.  It takes a couple of weeks of regular use before it starts kicking in but it really does help.  

Hope you start feeling better.  

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2002, 01:23:07 PM »
if you eat a lot of carbs as well they convert to insulin and boost your blood sugar levels. They produce a high. When you come down from this "high" it effects your mood.

Artificial sugars as well do this. Cokes and even some fruit drinks will boost your insulin levels.

Go to doctor have him check you out.

Diet and excersize can do alot but until you go to a doctor theres no telling.

If its a mental health thing (not to be judgmental in anyway, it happens) but the worse thing to do we be to "tough it out" and hope it goes away.

Depression is a real illness and it takes a real doctor to help figure it out.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2002, 01:27:29 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Wotan.

Charon

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Re: I know this isn't the right place for this but.....
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2002, 02:52:26 PM »
Originally posted by Udie
If anybody here has ever had problems with depression or manic depression, and has been put on medication for it,  please email me spmcnulty@austin.rr.com

Been having way too many ups and downs for no reasons lately and I think maybe I got that toejam.  Could use some advice.....

thanks....

Udie I don't know your full background, but it is common for people who used things like LSD and X at a young age to have mood disturbances for the rest of their life.
And be very careful if you decide to quit weed.  It is almost 100% that people who smoke everyday for years will get seriously depressed if they quit.  You will need to see a shrink.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2002, 03:20:38 PM »
Udie,

Best advice on this bbs is to go see your Doctor. Tell him your past history including your MJ usage and let him check ya out. Depression is not a mark on your "worth as a human being" it is an ilness and ANYONE can get it. :eek:

I had it almost 17 years ago (real NASTY divorce) and the wife is fighting it as an adjunct to cancer treatments. Get checked out and use the stuff to get over it. Exercise is great but may not be the entire cure. Keep in touch bud, we're pulling for ya. The e-mail is on my profile if ya just want to talk. Having been there, I know what it's like.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2002, 04:16:20 PM »
Ya probably ain't gonna want to hear it but:

drop the bong & the beer

eat right - fruit & vegs cut out the fast food/greazy crap

exercise regularly and hard - break a sweat, if you ain't sore the next day, you didn't lift enough - run

give it three months min (6 months better as good part of first 3 months will be like a de-tox )and see if you don't stable out

read more/watch tv less - especially news

what do you have to lose? you've done the other crap up to this point and see where it has gotten ya
:)

gl

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2002, 06:20:44 PM »
Have to agree with Eagler and the rest of the good suggestions throughout this thread Udie. I'm not afraid to admit that I've been on anti-depressants.

Years ago I went through the ups and downs, the weepies and the giggles. I ignored it for a long time until the downs started getting harsher. I too asked for help, but unfortunately I was a little slow in doing so and thankfully I was unsuccessful in attempting to end my life.

The call out for help is a big step that you have taken. You have recognized that there is a potential problem ahead, and at the very least your life is not behaving normally right now.

I'm no longer on anti-depressants, but I still get the sadness once in a while....know what I do? I exercise. Seriously, try a healthy dose of exercise and see if after a week of grueling painful muscle fatigue doesn't help balance out your mind.

Chemical imbalances in the brain are a tricky thing. You don't necessarily want to jump straight into anti-depressants to cure the misfiring your brain is doing right now. Just try to workout, cut out the alcohol and drugs, eat and sleep right. It's natural and it works. If you just had an operation, they should have done some sort of bloodwork even if it was minor, if not, go back to the doctor and get a physical.

Worse thing you could do is ignore what's happening. Don't let it go too long and keep us updated.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2002, 06:35:47 PM »
Udie, my Friend!

Sorry for calling you a Friend, but it's what I feel about you.

I'll be 30 in 2 weeks. I fight the MD syndrome for years. Since college days.

The only cure for it that I had found is simple: WORK. Or I'd better call it "Duty".

Now I feel good only when I have urgent work, and have to work my bellybutton off to get what I want, and to satisfy my clients. Suddenly I discovered that I feel much better after spending a night at work then after drinking beer beside my old Soviet-times TV (hehe 24")  at home.

Everyone needs something to distract his thoughts from his sour life. For me it was mountain-hiking. After we saved our group of 12-years old kids from freezing and drowning in the Caucasus wild mountain river - I find many problems only entertaining.

I want to invite you to Russia, to go fishing to some places you'll never get a chance to see ;) but it's August, ant winter begins there in two weeks... :( Only thing I can offer you is to take a vacation in most dangerous places of Moscow, Leningrad and Samara ;) I hope it will help.

How about selling cheap Izhevsk motorbikes and airguns in the US? :) Entertaining and bringing some money?!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2002, 10:36:14 PM »
Udie, if you turn inta Ripsnort, I'll shoot yah myself. :D

Dunno what ails yah, hell I have no clue as to what ails me. What seems to keep me goin is 'changing' things.. my diet, my routine, my intrests.

It don't seem to help ME all that much, but between the farting, bein late and then early and returning all my fathers day presents every year sure keeps everybody ELSE around me guessin.. and THAT; my friend, always improves my morale.

Avoid long introspective contemplations of your navel. Dig too deep, and you'll run outta lint.

Now, cheer the hell up!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2002, 01:21:46 AM »
Udie
  No expert here but thought I'd share a bit of my experience.  My wife is a diagnosed MD (rather severe at times).  Finding the right medication/dosage/balance took about 3yrs of trial and error and even now she needs subtle changes now and then.  Definately get yourself checked out and do NOT let it go and hope for the best... thats a very bad mistake IF you actually suffer from this problem.  In our case, the MD thing took years to develop into something very very nasty, IMO it only get worse untreated.  Get your exercise too... I've seen a simple walk around the block do wonders (especially when she's on a real downer).
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2002, 01:32:29 AM »
I don't think I'm going to get very old because I had my midlife at 25 .

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2002, 01:11:53 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
Ya probably ain't gonna want to hear it but:

drop the bong & the beer

eat right - fruit & vegs cut out the fast food/greazy crap

exercise regularly and hard - break a sweat, if you ain't sore the next day, you didn't lift enough - run

give it three months min (6 months better as good part of first 3 months will be like a de-tox )and see if you don't stable out

read more/watch tv less - especially news

what do you have to lose? you've done the other crap up to this point and see where it has gotten ya
:)

gl

You gonna turn our poor Udie into a darn Liberal !!!

Get better Udie. And get more then 1 doctor's opinion. In this country diagnosis of mental illness seem to set world records. Next think you know, you're stoned out of your wits, legally.

GL

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2002, 02:08:45 PM »
Hmmm....Udie goes in for a "minor" procedure on his Winkie and then starts having mood swings, depression and extreme anxiety??? Udie, it's obvious what's wrong- Somebody switched charts with you and you are now officially a post- operative transexual. I know it was a dirty trick probably committed by a PETA activist to get even with you over killing fish, but look to the bright side, Udie- 1) You can now enter the women's division at Bass Master events and 2) You are a virgin again. And don't worry about the mood swings, bud. You're just PMS-ing- you'll feel better in a couple of days.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2002, 03:19:59 PM »
Elfenwolf I thought you were in PETA's side you friggin traitor :mad:

And Udie did you recieve my email you turd fondler? Its pretty much the best of all the advice given here but longer and with more details.