Author Topic: Why does everyone whine about the N1K?  (Read 959 times)

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
Why does everyone whine about the N1K?
« on: August 22, 2002, 10:35:15 PM »
I've only been playing AH for a month and a half now and I prefer to fly the N1K (although I've been practicing a lot on the FM2 as a fighter).  Now as some of you have pointed out, the N1K is sometimes easy to kill as it is often poorly flown as many new players flock to the N1K because of all the whining you guys do.  So, yes, I do suck as a pilot, but the N1K takes a lot of skill to fly right!!! In fact, being as slow as it is, it really penalizes bad flying.  AND I SHOULD KNOW!!   I mean at least a dozen planes can outrun it.  Planes that have fled my N1Ky:

P-51
LA-7
F-4s
FM2
Typhoon
p-38
190 (although slowly)
etc

And there are a few planes that can outturn it (Most Spits seem to turn with it for the most part, although maybe slightly better).  It does have a robust engine and it seems to keep speed well in turns, but come on it is no uberplane.  I think you guys just all got miffed because some real talented pilots flew Georges so you started to whine about it and now all us new players use it so you just have further reason to whine.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 10:41:06 PM »
silence niki dweeb

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 11:23:00 PM »
They whine because it is common.  If the C.202 were, for some inexplicable reason, as common they'd whine about that too.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 12:10:37 AM »
nik pilot's are like sheep that go with the flock
when i was newbie i flew the p38

just fly the plane u love
and develop real skills

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 12:30:13 AM »
N1K2s hurt people's mental pride.

1) No doubt, some planes are easier to fly than others. Planes like the Spitfire MkIX were known to be excellent and pleasant to fly in real life, and it is the same with AH. Pleasant and excellent.

Now, what I've noticed, on-line games playing against fellow human beings, are inevitably highly competitive. We thrill in the victories, and are angered in defeats. When this comes to something like AH, when you are beaten by a plane that is easy to fly than yours, you sometimes need a process of self-gratification to ease your anger(which is in truth, most cases, being angry to oneself) - "I didn't lose because I was less skilled. I lost because the guy had a better plane than me. If we were flying the same thing, I'd have won."

It's a pride thingy.

2) The N1K2 is an excellent plane. While it is not fast enough to dictate the fight, it makes up for awesome firepower and maneuverability. Planes like these are very difficult to catch without careful concentration which requires time - time which one often does not have enough in MA environment.

So, the story goes like this: There are my buddies and enemies fighting. We almost win, except this one guy in a N1K2 moves around, attempts HO, gets a lucky hit and drops our guys like flies. It's an angering sight, and we are determined to make the "dweeb" pay.. except the damned thing turns and dodges so good that it takes time. The fight drags on low, and by the time we are one second away from killing that N1K2, the enemy reinforcements arrive and shoots down all of us. We get mad, and we naturally blame the "fediddlein' " N1K2 for our mistake in SA and over-ragedness.

3) The N1K2 did some weird things in previous versions, and still does some weird things. Sometimes its performance is so good that it defies our conventional calculations and estimates. You do this, think there's no way a N1K2 can follow you, and then *pow* You turn out to be wrong, and you are shot down. To think that you, a guy who took months in mastering elaborate tricks and E-calculations, have been shot down by a super-easy-to-fly plane piloted by a guy who knows nothing but up-your-6 stick pulling.. hurts your pride.

4) Some people, or some squads specialize in the N1K2.. and often they are recognized for doing "dweeby"  things. Most of them are excellent pilots, too.

Now, if there was a good pilot, who used a "hard" plane, reaching the level of excellency despite all the handicaps, people will look up to him and respect him. But when you see a pilot who would still be successful even if using other planes, stick to the N1K2 or Spit9 and rack up huge kills, naturally you begin to detest him. Most of us expect "character" that coincides with "skill" in a persona - the more skilled you are, the more character you have, and more modest you behave.

Somehow we think those people will limit their own greatness, or try and achieve great things with a handicap given, rise up to the challenge... but when we see a person with great skill sticking to easy stuff, we assume that "he's a schmuck". It's like the US Olympic Basketball team - 'dream team'. All the other world's playes are under-paid, under skilled amatuers, and this 'Dream Team' formed of multi-million dollar players with NBA skill-level rips apart all competition. People from other countries resent that.

Seeing an excellent pilot run at every disadvantage, come back with huge reinforcements, plow through the battle in that N1K2 and score two-digit kills, and then become the first one to run away at an impending crisis leaving all his team mates behind.. that disappoints a lot of pilots.

So, all-in-all, it's mostly a mental thingy. :D

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 12:31:34 AM »
Originally posted by BUG_EAF322
nik pilot's are like sheep that go with the flock
when i was newbie i flew the p38

just fly the plane u love
and develop real skills

And what if the plane you love is the N1K?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2002, 12:39:00 AM »
Would that be the same flock that leaps to the immediately offered excuse for dying, or is that a different flock?

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2002, 12:50:53 AM »
It's quite simple... they whine for the sake of whining. If they don't have the Niki to whine about, they will whine about something else. The rest of us just whine about whining. And so it goes, always was, and always will be.   =o/

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2002, 01:51:00 AM »
The n1k does everything decently.

It's speed is okay but not top of the line.
It can dive with just about anything.
It can hold its own in a turning fight against most planes.
It's firepower is second only to the 4x hispano fighters.

My biggest complaint though is the hidden counter-rotating propeller, causing the small plane with the big damn radial engine to have prop torque comperable to the p38.  Somehow I can believe everything about it's performance except for that.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2002, 03:31:01 AM »
*Writes up the cordinates to Bug_Eaf's sheep on the back of his hand*

- You shall be liberated my friends
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2002, 03:51:27 AM »
Innominate is right on, even with the n1k's uber 'flaps'  the thing has no torque spin;none zero zilch .. I think HTC forgot to model it on n1k ...

I've learned to extend from n1k's ; zooming , it's just stupid unless you have great e advantage:: i've had MORE e than a n1k zoomed to have them spray from d800 below and kill me; n1k will flop around at d800 like a damn Heli (i've never seen a n1k lose control/stall/torque even when airspeed is below 100mph)

; no loss of control from torque .. comeon such bs!  with that much horsepower/rpm should spin like a top.

That's why AH'ers squeak about the n1k not because it can manuver with 4x20mm; hurri IC can do that better (but it still has torque)but because the UFO has less torque than a p-38 LMAO

Real pilots reported n1k doing impossible manuver's proably due to it's flap system.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2002, 05:38:15 AM »
Shut up, Niki dweeb, you make me wanna vomit !

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2002, 05:51:59 AM »
vomit? :)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2002, 06:18:20 AM »
Originally posted by Hristo
Shut up, Niki dweeb, you make me wanna vomit !

LOL

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2002, 07:01:20 AM »
Originally posted by Manedew
Innominate is right on, even with the n1k's uber 'flaps'  the thing has no torque spin;none zero zilch .. I think HTC forgot to model it on n1k ...

n1k will flop around at d800 like a damn Heli (i've never seen a n1k lose control/stall/torque even when airspeed is below 100mph)

; no loss of control from torque .. comeon such bs!  with that much horsepower/rpm should spin like a top.

Mandoble is that you ?

Really the n1k2 handles worse than a spitIX, it's just hard for people to accept .