Author Topic: Burma '44 in the CT  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« on: August 24, 2002, 03:09:11 AM »
Burma:  Early '44

The Japanese and British are
getting ready for their
slugfest at Imphal and Kohima.

Japanese:

A6M2
A6M5
Ki61
Ki67
Val
C-47

British

Hurri IIC
Hurri IID
Spitfire V
P-40E
FM-2
P-47D11
A-20
Boston
SBD
C-47

Ground units are light types.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 03:05:23 PM by Buzzbait »

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2002, 05:15:01 AM »
Kick But!
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2002, 07:09:17 AM »
A6 is showing to be allied, yet it shot me down and wouldn't fire on a axis plane flying over it. Thought you might like to know.

Ok, just upped that field and when I got on runway ack started firing at con and I was able to land back there no problem. Guess it need to be jump started :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 07:27:29 AM by Mark Luper »
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2002, 02:07:28 PM »
The FM-2 is available at allied bases, is this a bug? or part of the setup that wasn't listed above.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 03:04:51 PM »
S!

Sorry forgot to mention the FM-2.   I included it as an interesting addition to allow pilots to try it out versus some '44 Japanese aircraft.

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2002, 04:03:43 PM »
Originally posted by Buzzbait
S!

Sorry forgot to mention the FM-2.   I included it as an interesting addition to allow pilots to try it out versus some '44 Japanese aircraft.

Well gee then lets give the Axis the FW-190 to try out as an interesting addition  against the 1944 Allied birds.:D
The Allies got the P-47D, and the SpitV, if thats not enough to dodge now the FM2?  Which didnt fly in Burma,  hey give us a little bit of a break huh. If you keep overstacking these damn Allied vs IJ setups, there is never going to be enough Japanese.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2002, 05:11:56 PM »
Have to agree with Lowe Buzz, was a very bad decission to add the P-47 & FM-2 to the plane set for this CT scenario - interesting or not.

I have no problem with the rest of the plane set and it would have made a very interesting battle as the sides being pretty close to even. I will have to look at my history books again but I don't seem to remember the P-47 & FM-2 much in Burma.

It does seem every time we get a PTO CT set up the Allies manage to have an "Ubberbird" in the mix. I point out one of the last PTO scenarios where the F4U-4 Corsair got put in - "just to make it interesting."

As Lowe said you don't have very many willing to fly Japanese as it is. No scense trying to run them off.  

Jester
« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 08:59:41 PM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2002, 06:23:53 PM »
Jester and Lowe are right on the money.   I would much prefer matchups to be kept historical as well.

If the deck must be stacked for interesting matchups, then please give the Japanese the N1K2.   It after all is a 1944 plane too, and the Japanese have such a timy planeset to begin with.

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2002, 07:23:41 PM »
S!

There are lots of '44 planes here.  In fact, the A6M5 is a '44 plane.  The particular model of Ki-61 Tony may be a '44 model too.  The P-47D11 is a mid '43 plane, and although it was not used in Burma, neither was the Tony.  Neither as far as I know was the A6M5 used there or even the A6M2.   Burma was IJA front,  and therefore got the Army planes, namely the Oscar and before it, the Nate.  The Tony was reserved for the 'important' fronts, like the southern Pacific.

You can look at this setup as combining a '43 Rabaul/New Georgia and 'early '44 Burman setup.  The P-47D Razorback was used in the Rabaul area.  The British did use P-47D's in Burma, but they were later, and they were the bubble top model AFAIK.

And the N1k2 is a '45 plane.  The N1k1 was the '44 model, and it was not used in Burma at all since it was a Navy plane.

As far as balance goes, I think this one is pretty close.  Certainly the Axis have had the advantage in the previous Burma setup, so this is a nice illustration of how the tide of war began to change.

I have removed the FM-2.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 07:27:58 PM by Buzzbait »

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2002, 07:26:15 PM »
Hey now Andi:), that F4U-4 was not unbalencing, the George handeled it well, in retrospect I would not add it again, I think more to the point is the tiny plane set the Japanese have to work with, and what exaserbates that fact is the comparatevly huge plane set the allies have.( Also the US NAvy had no place in that set up I mearly added them for the CV orenated squads)

Also I do beleave the P 47 was in Burma, I seam to recall RAAF makings on one, I may be tryping but I recall a pic of one....

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2002, 08:28:41 PM »
Hmm.
Buzzbait, I have to disagree that the Axis had the advantage in the last Burma.
The A6m2 is no advantage, and  I may piss a few off here, but this is just my opinion. Here is why I have this opinion, so show me where I am wrong.

Speed:  Advantage Hurri, P40B, F4F.
A6M2 slower than all. In here anyway

Firepower: Advantage F4F, and P-40B. Yes I know the A6M2 has the 20MM but one good fart and their gone, add to the fact that you have to get in less than 200 to ensure a killing, and it's prob my dweebness, but i can't ensure a kill until less than 150 with a A6m2. Add the short ammo load of the 20mm and the kill range of the 50 cals. I don't see an advantage for the A6m2. But then again I spent too much time getting shot down to see anything.

Manuverability: Advantage A6m2, but barely. The F4F, and Hurri I both can turn with the zeke for a short time, which is just usually enough for the zeke pilot to be just out of cannon range but well within range of his targets wingman, so he can get his purty little zeke turned into a roman candle.

Durability: I've seen tougher butterflies than the A6m2, a dirty look will kill it. Advantage Allies.

Take all that and throw in the fact that the IJ had one fighter to choose from and 3 fighters to react too, the Allies always knew they were gonna fight a Zeke, and never had to change their tactics because of a different threat.

So show me the advantage, all you have to look at is any hour during Burma or the Solomons, and watch who is landing kills, 4 out of 5 times it was Allied not the Zeke pilots.

I agree with you that the A6M5 was not a Burma plane, and we don't have Ki-43s, and KI-44s, KI-45s, so theres not a lot you can do. I understand, but don't give me the Axis had the advantage in Burma or the Solomons, in these set-ups. It's also not your fault I am a disgruntled IJ pilot thats my fault.:D
But flying PTO's was getting boring with nobody to fight, so a few of us switched to help even things out.
The real point we're trying to make is please limit the experiments by adding another plane to a side thats already got P-40E 3 diff Hurris, Spitfires, and P-47s. Did we really need to see how much more we could give the Allied side when the IJ's got the Ki-61, and the 2 Zekes?
Look I know it's absurd to expect you to make us all happy. It's also absurd for a guy not into Japanese planes to be in a Sentai, but damnit somebody has to be the bad guy. For me the best part of being in a CT Sentai is an ETO set-up so I can fly Luftwaffe planes.:rolleyes:
Hell even the Imperial navy had enough sense to replace the A6m2 with the A6m3, by the Battle of Midway.
The M2 was not the legendary fighter it's made out to be. The pilots were very experianced, the Allies were not. Once the Allied pilots got experiance they never looked back. Sheesh ramble mode off.
 :D
The biggest problem we have is numbers, if you give one side 6 differnt planes to choose from, and the other 3, why add another to the side that already has 6?
Where do you think most the people are going to go? Right where they can get most choices..............
Sooner or later your gonna run out of Japanese pilots if this keeps going.
We don't need the N1k2 in Burma, the Ki-61 and A6m5 are fine, but we don't need the FM2 ethier.
Just my 2 cents, plus a dollar tip for your paitence.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2002, 09:00:51 PM »
What he said....  :D

Jester
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2002, 10:40:51 PM »
sentai, you guys need to try flying that a6m2.  Everywhere but on the deck the speed is better than the p40, Fastest I have gotten the e in level flight is 300mph.    The a6ms climb better too.

The damn thing dives at 570 with little problem.  That plane alone could win the map for you.

P40 is useless as long as the new zero behaves like it does.  That leaves us the spit.  yeck.  Fun to fly, but makes me feel all icky inside.

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2002, 10:52:24 PM »
Well if it's so great you fly it!:D
Sorry Erg you guys can't sell me on the M2. 1V1 it's great,  one more allied aircraft in the area it's a sitting duck.
Guess it's just my boom and zoomer mentality, I never was a hard turning dogfight guy. If it has one good quality it's manuverable other than that it's just so much metal looking for a place to crash.
If it gives you fits, you must be commiting to a turning fight. The A6M5 is a much more dangerous plane to fight IMO.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 10:58:42 PM by Löwe »

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Burma '44 in the CT
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2002, 02:26:19 AM »
Ohhh I was jsut starting to enjoy that little F2M :)

Biggest reason i flew allies last night was that the numbers when I entered, was in the Japanese favour, then it evened out and stayed like it all night untill we all left (about the same time).
I always try and even up the sides when I am in the CT.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.