Author Topic: Weekly Furball update:  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2002, 02:13:34 PM »
have to agree there... Drex is well..   Drex.

as for skill levels it depends.

furrin' will usually instill better ACM and SA

strat might make you a better strategist or bomber or jabo-er

dunno and don't care.

I just do what is fun for me at the time.  Probably the same with most people.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2002, 02:29:23 PM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng
pong sucked but 'stroids was a blast.

Defender owned 'stroids. ;)

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2002, 02:30:10 PM »
As much as I hate dying, you'd think I would spend my time somewhere else besides getting down and dirty. Maybe load up drop tanks, get way up there and cherry pick.

There's something about wearing out your view button and the constant reevaluation of where your "at" in a rapidly changing situation that draws me in.

Boring its not :)

Hating to die has a benifit. I do my best not to.

But I suck :D

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2002, 02:33:58 PM »
Defender owned 'stroids.

now see.. here comes the age thing (sigh)
I was into 'other' games by the time Defender showed up...

I discovered girls :eek:

*edit*

but now I 'm older and re-discovering computer games lol

isnt' there a 'stages of life' joke something like this...?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2002, 02:41:40 PM by Wlfgng »

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2002, 04:26:21 PM »
furballs are for dweebs, it's easy to get kills, just drop in behind a enemy chasing a friendly and pop him.

if you want real air to air combat go 1 v 1 co-alt, that will test how much "fighter stuff" you got.

44MAG
mediocre pilot

PS: pong was a good party game

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2002, 04:47:28 PM »
Well Lazs, we're not as diametrically opposed as you might think. Tonight, I spent about half an hour in a FFF scenario. Furball, furball, furball! I was Bish, defending A22. The Knight fighters kept coming in, and the M3/M16/FLAK guys kept rolling in. We had to fight tooth and nail to save the field. Max fuel permitted was only 25%. It was tough, but I managed to land at least two 3-kill sorties - shot up a whole bunch of M3s as they attempted capture.  And the difference? I had a reason to be there! I had a sense of purpose - we MUST save the field. And that made me want to do it. I was flying one of my favourite planes - the underrated 190A5.  

Lazs, I see what you mean about kills per unit of time becoming a factor in FFF engagements. I was really racking 'em up. I should do it more often!
You will never get good
Good at what, precisely? FFF? E-fiting? B&Z? I do what I do, and you do what you do, and that's fine. At the time of writing my overall k/d is exactly 4/1, and I'm happy enough with that. It's only an indicator. You see, I don't fly with that damned scoreboard etched in my mind the whole time. Like this afternoon, when I was flying and thinking only about saving that field. Not scores/kills/points. I once finished 8th in a WB ToD, and had streaks in the 20s. But that's not why I subscribe to flight sims. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt - literally - for killing YT when he had the "KIL-ME" ID. Like the power output of a Rolls Royce car engine, my performance is "adequate". :) Not the best, but that's OK. I fly for the country to which I belong, and not for the scoreboard.

Well Lazs, I see you've been doing some LA7 dweebing this ToD. What are you playing at? You are better than that. :eek:  You will never see me in a LA7. Or a N1K.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2002, 04:53:18 PM by beet1e »

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2002, 05:13:47 PM »
What you get if you "win".  New map.

What you get if you "lose".  New map.

How can you contain your excitement?

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2002, 05:22:44 PM »
what do "you " get if your football team wins....nothing (unless you were betting)

what do "you" get if your football team loses......nothing (unless you were betting)

How can you contain your excitement?

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2002, 05:24:04 PM »
bragging rights

drunk

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2002, 05:54:37 PM »
Yes furballs are indeed great for getting kills because of the dumb (insert quaker ride here) dweebs get target fixated lose SA and then you can Pop them from behind with a little Coord from Range channel, just as how it was done during the war. Most aces  did this regularly when they lacked numbers and they couldn't afford to turn fight  , those few that did turn fight and engaged the enemy dangerously  eventually got killed before the war came to conclusion.

The whole fantasy world of 1 on 1 in the MA is just that, any engagement can quickly turn into a 2 on 1, or 3  on 1, or more,  I'm not  going to forfit my virtual life so easily for (insert dweeb ride again),while getting myself in the situation I punish  so many dweebs for getting into in the first place. That's why I guess I do better in older model LW airplanes, I am more careful, once I get into a G10, Dora or Ta152 I am reckless as hell and more than often I get into situationsby which sometimes is tough of getting out of then, sometimes I don't at all.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2002, 08:23:14 AM »
beetle ... if you have actualy furballed for a whole tour and you ended with a 4/1 K/D then you would be doing darn good in my book.  that would probly equate to about 1.5-2 K/S and a Kill per hour of about 9-10 .   What tour was that again?    didn't everyone in WB get 20 plus kill streaks?   Getting good simply means being able to judge a lot of different planes e states at one time and to be able to track multiple cons and friendlies and to be able to reverse bad e states even while so occupied.   If you can do it in a crowd then you can do it that much easier in small engagements... It also means that the more planes you kill in furs (or anywhere) the more you learn about killing planes.  pretty simple really.   You can learn all that stuff being timid but it talkes forever and it is not very fun.

as for hitting the edge of furs... sure.. but no matter how timid you are.... someone is allways just a little more timid/patient... they will wait for you to commit and then vulch your timid butt... Not a way I want to have fun but... to each his own.

44mag... 1 v 1 at alt is ok but mostly a matter of hoping the other guy is stupid.  Not real hard to judge the e of two planes or the FM's.   What kinda 44's do you have?   I am fond of chopped down ruger Redhawks.
lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2002, 10:36:55 AM »
Lazs, it's unlikely that I would spend an entire tour furballing. I'll enter a furball when it's necessary to save a field. I'll even sacrifice my own plane to do that, but prefer to bail and avoid capture. I was certainly kept on my toes during that FFF situation at A22.

What tour was that again? didn't everyone in WB get 20 plus kill streaks?
Hehe, no, not that many got more than 20. The tour in question was about January 2000. I flew the F6F almost exclusively, and primarily for jabo missions, so I was surprised to get 428 kills along the way. Less surprising was my 175 deaths!  I was fortunate to get involved with two jabo squadrons, but the first disbanded and the second did pretty much the same thing. I was heavily into fighter techniques back then, within the bounds of doing it as part of the war effort, and not gratuitous killing.

I liked the F6F so much, I even wrote my own user guide for it! Lazs only, take a look at it - attached.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2002, 10:39:25 AM by beet1e »

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2002, 12:06:05 PM »
St. Peter is giving a tour of heaven to a new arrival.  As they pass one of the rooms, he says, "shhhhh, those are the Catholics, and they think they're the only ones here".
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2002, 10:52:37 PM »
John. Your right.  Thats why I dont follow sports.

Offline nopoop1

• Zinc Member
Re: Weekly Furball update:
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2021, 01:08:49 PM »
Its been almost 20 years...
Coming out of retirement Blue Knight

nopoop