Author Topic: why do people fly the c202?  (Read 389 times)

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
why do people fly the c202?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »
The 202 is my primary field defense ride. I had a blast last night at A10, defending it from the hordes of chogs, niks, lancs and P51s. During the fighting I got one of my best Lanc kills - reminded me of the stories I've read about the Winter War.

I had a 190 and 2 P51s one me, making BnZ passes at me. I managed to evade them though, and used every opportunity to grab more alt to reach the bombers above.  

I managed to extend a little which gave me some time to climb south of the field. The lancs were making their bomb runs. I saw one of them coming south towards me, just having dropped some of his bombs.  I was south of him, a little above.  He flew straight under me and I split-s'd behind him, a few hundred feet lower and about 1k back.  I quickly glanced back, the two ponies were busy further north, but one 190 and F4U were closing fast.  

I dove a little to gain speed and flew under the bomber.  I was safe from his guns there. I looked back again, the enemies were about 3k away - I was clear for now.  I pulled my nose up to climb towards the Lanc, in the cover of its own tail.  Hopefully the tail gunner won't see me.

As my gunsight filled up with the tail of the bomber, I was less than 70yds away from him.  I opened up with all of my bb guns, concentrating the fire on the tail gun and elevators.  Just as the left stabilizer fell off, the rear gunner woke from his dreaming.  Only to fall asleep again - this time forever. The few shots he managed to fire flew past me harmlessly.  As the right stabilizer blew off, I glanced back and saw the enemies about 1k behind me.  I pulled hard on the stick, stomped on the rudder and dove into safety.  In the distance I saw the Lancaster crash into the sea.

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2001, 04:31:00 PM »
hmm.... C202.... maybe I'll have to give it a try I've been tryin new aircraft alot lately.  Really love the 109F4 but the C.202 should be an interesting challenge.  

never thought of it as a base defense plane, I usually use the zeke (and have the 2 and 15 record to show for it.)  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2001, 04:49:00 PM »
because there is nothing more satisfying than killing a 109g10, n1k or la7 in a 202.

I also enjoy the annoying capability it has. Pinpingpingpingpingpingpingpi ngpingpingpingpingpingpingpin gpingpingpingpingpingpingping pingpingpingpingpingpingpingp ingpingpingpingpingpingpingpi ngpingpingpingpingpingpingpin gpingp ingpingpingpingpingpingpingpi ngpingpingpingpingpingpingpin gpingpingping*CRACK* *kill*

You can't beat that for sheer entertainment!      

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2001, 04:56:00 PM »
The FDB's often fly 202's... as bait.  

"Hey fatty.. saddle up a 202 and chum fer me will yah??"

hehhehhehheee
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Tjay

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2001, 05:35:00 PM »
I thought the C202 was there so people like Citabria could fly it all the time and still be in the top 10 - no? But he seems to prefer the P38 which is - shal we say - a little bit better.
Tjay

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2001, 05:37:00 PM »
Heh, almost as fun as ramming vultchers with a C47.

I think 3/4 of my 202 kills were manuever kills.

funked

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2001, 06:25:00 PM »
Ya know if we had a Rolling Perk Set then the 202 would become competitive like it was in WW2 for a while.  

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2001, 10:03:00 PM »
Flew it again tonight.  Killed a P-51D and forced an F4U-1D to stall into the ocean, then returned to base and landed.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Spitfire F.MkXIVc to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2001, 05:10:00 AM »
Don't underestimate the dreaded C.202.  I flew two sorties with it this tour:
1st sortie got a Spitfire and a C47