Author Topic: This is NOT a request....  (Read 546 times)

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
This is NOT a request....
« on: August 28, 2002, 11:31:50 AM »
....more of a pipe dream really.  I love AH because of it's realistic ohysics and flight models and because it really gives you that feeling of in-close dogfighting.  I was thinking last night how much fun it would be to have an AH version featuring a/c of the Korean war era.  

This was the first time jets really broke into combat and it was the last time American a/c were ever really challenged (both in technology and pilot skills).  Guided missles also broke onto the scene during this conflict and suddenly pilots had so much information to deal with that many a/c designers had to take "pilot sensory overload" into account as many pilots would sort of blank out for a few seconds even a few minutes as they tried to parse the dozens of warning whistles in the cockpit.  It must have been an increadibly trying time for pilots.  Never before had a/c flown so fast at combat speeds and no longer could one simply look around to ascertain if a  threat was present.  Not to mention that the leaps and bounds in a/c technology were so great that, in the early stages of the war, it wan not uncommon for pilots to be switching planes every couple of months.

Guided missiles were still crude by today's standards so that close gun dogfighting was still quite common (rather than the over-the-horizon standoffs of today), so that the simulation would still have a lot of the fun of close-quarters fighting.

There were so many great a/c (on both sides) developed during this war that were pretty evenly matched and such a high level of skill involved for the pilots that I think such a game would be intense and fun.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 11:35:45 AM »
Funny, I was thinking the same thing the other day.

I hate modern sims because of the precision of the guided missles. It just takes all the romance out of a dogfight. Alright, maybe romance is the wrong word, but...you know what I mean.

Was'nt there an online sim a few years back that had a Korean War arena as well as a WWII arena?

As long as there is gunfighting, I'm for it, but I would prefer to see AH become an all inclusive WWII sim first. (Troops, more ships, more armor, real strat, etc.)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 11:50:23 AM »
Sit tight, this one might wean me off AH (highly doubtful though...):
http://www.targetware.net/

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 11:55:04 AM »
Airwarrior had a korean war theater
 seemed to remember about 25 players max all the time, but could be wrong about that number...Never many people in it though...  
  seemed to me at the time with the shallow attendance the research doallers could have been spent more wisely....
  T0J0

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 12:02:20 PM »
seemed to remember about 25 players max all the time, but could be wrong about that number...Never many people in it though...
seemed to me at the time with the shallow attendance the research doallers could have been spent more wisely....
T0J0

Hmmm...sounds like another arena I know.....:D ;)

Offline Catching Spies

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 12:04:33 PM »
Good request...hope your recommendation will be considered. I would like to see HTC do more to bring in new members there is no reason why there should not be 2k to 5k players online 24/7.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 12:06:47 PM »
>>Was'nt there an online sim a few years back that had a Korean War arena as well as a WWII arena? <<

Yes. It was known as Air Warrior 3 ;)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2002, 01:03:31 PM »
I say skip ahead to the 60's

i would love to see MMOG with a late 60's early 70's planeset...
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline rosco

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2002, 02:48:35 PM »
You guys have it bassackwards.

We need camels, spads, Folkers... Canvas and wood people :D

Offline Lars

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2002, 02:57:50 PM »
Originally posted by T0J0
  T0J0

The Korean arena in AW was popular in the few months before the Korea scenario. I remember nights when we had over 60 players there...it was a great diversion from the FT arena but, unfortunatley, the interest droped off after the scenario was over.

Those highspeed dogfights were intense and scored very high in  fun factor.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Re: This is NOT a request....
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2002, 03:21:33 PM »
Originally posted by Fancy
....more of a pipe dream really.  I love AH because of it's realistic ohysics and flight models and because it really gives you that feeling of in-close dogfighting.  I was thinking last night how much fun it would be to have an AH version featuring a/c of the Korean war era.  

fediddleing jets - they're about up close and personal as thunderstorm 300 miles from
your home.  If you want "up close and personal," get in a WW1 bird.

A good fight in WW1 planes is like a good sword fight - you see the guy straining and slashing --- you see a guy gradually getting the upper hand (and both guys know it.)  

There are no rescues with a quick snapshot by hispanos, there's just straining to win the fight.  Nothing beats WW1 planes for up close and personal.

Man, I sure do miss WW1 sims. :(

curly

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2002, 10:28:25 PM »
Fek that!

Up close and persona?

Loin cloths and knives babey!

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2002, 01:51:26 AM »
Originally posted by rosco
You guys have it bassackwards.

We need camels, spads, Folkers... Canvas and wood people :D

hells yeah!

Offline bloodstain

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2002, 02:00:36 AM »
looks good ripsnort any idea about a release date?

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2002, 02:34:01 AM »
Originally posted by Nefarious
I say skip ahead to the 60's

There have been some seriously cool cold war aircraft.  Any sim set at any time during the cold war could be extremly cool.