Author Topic: Thanks to the 56th  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Thanks to the 56th
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2002, 02:19:06 AM »
Thanks for the postive comments, APDrone...  :)  Yeah, Lancs are (were) ideal for night-time bombing and if I hadn't been involved with CMing, they would have probably been my preference for a possible guest spot....  :D  Actually, just remembered I can gun.... dam, that was a missed opportunity!   :(
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Thanks to the 56th
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2002, 02:52:19 AM »
Well said APdrone. The fact is lancs did fly night missions. I can't believe these cry babies whining over a night frame. Stop whining, fly your mission and suck it up.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline AvidMC

• Copper Member
Thanks to the 56th
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2002, 03:00:36 PM »
I must say thanks to Sixpence for pointing out my ludicrous behavior in actually having an opinion. And of course my audacity  to voice such an opinion in a public way. I promise to check myself into the closest gulag for reeducation as soon a possible.  Thank you Sixpence for pointing out such a vile error on my part. Just a little reeducation and I will be back goose stepping in no time.

Avid

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Thanks to the 56th
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2002, 05:19:57 PM »
Originally posted by icemaw
Oh I see the confusion there was 2 56th flying in the same TOD lol. I flew with the 56th firebirds.

No, there's only one 56th in the TOD, the 56th FG.  It's 56 Sqn RAF that you flew with ;)  

American's have a tendency of putting a 'th' on the end of British squadron numbers therefore confusing everyone! :)  British use just the number only, e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, not 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Regards
NEXX

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Thanks to the 56th
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2002, 05:29:18 PM »
Oh I see I stand corrected.

Well then there is just one thing to do.

Thank you 56 squad for letting me fly with them. I would also like to fly with you again this sunday if its ok with you.

Reguards your humble servant.
iceMAW =S=
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Grayarea

• Silver Member
Thanks to the 56th
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2002, 01:30:32 AM »
icemaw,

On Sunday evening your plane will be warmed up :)

See you there old chap....pip pip ;)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Thanks to the 56th
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2002, 02:09:16 PM »
Originally posted by Replicant

No, there's only one 56th in the TOD, the 56th FG.  It's 56 Sqn RAF that you flew with ;)  

American's have a tendency of putting a 'th' on the end of British squadron numbers therefore confusing everyone! :)  British use just the number only, e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, not 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Regards

Actually..:)  The way the US army and US air force  name their units is like this.  If the organizational type and kind are spelled out ie...fighter group, or fighter squadron,  then it is appropriate to use the "th" or "cd" in conjunction with the number of the unit. So it is right to say 56th Fighter Group.  If the org type and kind are abbreviated as in FG or FS then it is right to say 56 FG or 63 FS.  The USAF still organizes and names their units this way.

OK, back to the thread. (if its not already dead)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011