Author Topic: a ? about WWIIOL on my comp  (Read 266 times)

Offline cobra427

• Nickel Member
a ? about WWIIOL on my comp
« on: August 30, 2002, 01:44:25 PM »
well i downloaded WWIIOL a 200meg DL by the time i had downloaded everything.... well it works fine offline even with the highest detail setings ..but i use the low detail... i was gonna sign up for it but i wasnt sure if it would work good online so i did AH but i still wanna do WWIIOL but im not sure how it will work so im gonna post my comp specs and tell me how you think it will work online ....well the specs that i know of :p

1000mhz AMD Duron
224megs of Ram
32meg S3 ProSavage KM133 (TM) vid card
WinXP
and a 56k modem

if there is anything else that effects the way the game performs tell me how to find it and i will supply the info
« Last Edit: August 30, 2002, 01:48:11 PM by cobra427 »

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2002, 02:26:25 PM »
when wwII came out, there was all the talk of more RAM...massive amounts of RAM would fix the glacial frame rates.. I bit and upgraded to 648 megs of RAM.. it hardly helped.. was still in the teens.. your 32megs on the vid card will probably get you in the 20s.. its so hard to comment on WWII online and not use phrases like 'turd' and 'steaming'..

just my .02

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2002, 02:34:00 PM »
You might be better off looking for help on the WWIIOL boards... just a thought.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2002, 03:23:57 PM »
Cobra-

That isn't nearly enough RAM, and I suspect that video card isn't enough either. Some people on similar processors are ok, but you have a lot going against you for where that game is concerned.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2002, 05:27:54 PM »
I dont think you would be happy with ww2ol with the low ram and the generations behind video card.

As for Hawk. I run it completely in ram with a gig, others do it with 768megs. Upping the megs reduced the HD hits when new textures were seen. It would not raise your steady state FPS which is controlled by your cpu, video card and settings.exe in ww2ol. Not knowing your systems specs, os and settings, i suspect your machine was midlevel, your settings to high, resolution to high, etc.

I ran a 1.3 amd with 512 megs and G4C 3 with the graphics turned down. Got good FPS and flew well with this rig. It does require some horsepower to fly, but ppl play with 400mhz CPUs as infantry and enjoy it...when you just post vague FPS quotes you don't convey any info. Your distaste for ww2ol comes thru. We could have worked you to the max fps on our boards but I don't think you ever posted, did you?

hardcase

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2002, 05:53:24 PM »
I run wwiionline with 512k SDRAM and my virtual memory set at 1gig.

I have no problem and have never had any problems with wwiionline running. The odd thing is FPS when flying the easymode planes. I could be level flight no one around me and my FPS jumps from 9 to 39. Its odd, but the easy mode FM makes up for the FPS jumps.

Dog out........

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2002, 07:32:30 PM »
When I ran 512 megs, I found those little fps drops, like little microstutters. I talked to the game producer and he said it was still some little bit of texture hitting the hd so quickly that we couldnt tell other than the drop in fps. Not like those drops to .00001 because it fixes the textures faster. You are probably a few megs below it running in ram. Try Cacheman or hit it for another 512:-) 1 Gig, never sees the hd.

hardcase