Author Topic: Icons/Resolutions  (Read 549 times)

chisel

Icons/Resolutions
« on: July 25, 1999, 04:18:00 AM »
What are your plans regarding icons?
What resolutions will it run on?

Best wishes HTC. I'll be there Day1 open beta!

------------------
Chisel
5./JG5 'Ice Bears'

Offline fats

• Copper Member
Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 1999, 11:09:00 AM »
Since they're going to have 3D cockpit, I guess the resolution is pretty much up to you. So is the FOV I hope.

~/fats

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 1999, 11:25:00 AM »
Yes, there will be icons.  Resolutions currently available are 640, 800, and 1024.  Field of view is also adjustable.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

chisel

Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 1999, 06:10:00 PM »
Thanks for responding. Glad to see 800 supported.  

Now more to the point. Will the icons be in the "WB" style or somthing new? Under the plane, not quite so brightly colored, a bar graph type deal not giving range quite so accurately?

------------------
Chisel
5./JG5 'Ice Bears'

chisel

Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 1999, 12:37:00 AM »
<punt>

chisel

Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 1999, 08:33:00 PM »
punt  

------------------
Chisel
5./JG5 'Ice Bears'

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 1999, 09:05:00 PM »
Hehe, a double punt.

I rather like the icons below the plane, but the problem is that we get a lot of sorting errors that way.  As to how much information they provide, I've actually come around to the "more is more" approach.  In flying the alpha we've been using icon ranges that have a 1 yard granularity.  The difference in being able to fly formation or tell your closure rate is immense.  You just can't get enough visual cues otherwise.  So what we plan on doing is increasing the granularity of the icon ranges at short distances.

As to colors, we haven't decided yet.  No matter what country you're in, allies will be one color and all other enemies will be another.  You'll be able to distinguish between enemies by their country symbol.    

We've debated between user selectable colors and going with more neutral colors.  While neutral colors sound great and non-invasive, the problem that you run into is that a lot of people are colorblind and can't see them at all.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

chisel

Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 1999, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks PYRO  

I'll read that as decreasing granularity at longer ranges?

Colorblind, never thought about that, guess thats why you make the big bucks.  

---------------------
Chisel

HA Dweeb
Patiently waiting

------------------
Chisel
5./JG5 'Ice Bears'

Offline lakc

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.concentric.net/~lakec
Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 1999, 10:41:00 PM »
I have tried to spread the colorblind message for quite some time, damn glad someone picked up on it.   When I see a pink plane I dont necessarily see the same hideous color that you do, but I at least can see it.

Pyro, am I correct in inferring from your post that this will be entirely two sided combat?

------------------
Lake City
-lakc-

Offline jedi

• Zinc Member
Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 1999, 12:11:00 AM »
Hmmm.  Sounded to me like he meant that your friends would be one color, and the other 2 or 3 or ? countries would all appear to be one other color.  Actual country would be denoted by some symbol (on the plane or part of the icon?)

--jedi

[This message has been edited by jedi (edited 07-27-1999).]

hamder

Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 1999, 06:34:00 AM »

Will icons identify enemy plane type ?

Will same plane types be allowed to fight eachother ?

hamder

Bugjam

Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 1999, 07:10:00 AM »
Don't make the range icon too accurate. Like in EAW icons have 1 ft granularity, i hate it. There's too much numbers to interpret the range if you're occupied with the enemy. The less numbers in icon/range counter the easier it is to read.

Maybe 100 yard granularity to 300 yards, then 10 yard granularity from 290 yards.

In WB's we get 10 yard granularity under 200 yards range but usually it is so close to collision already   that there's no time to check the actual range, all info is based on visual information when close enough. It doesn't matter if it's D1.8 or D1.75 if you got the enemy in your sights  

Also the granularity could be user defined. Both in setup for default setting and in-flight if you want to get more information for formation flying for example.

[This message has been edited by Bugjam (edited 07-27-1999).]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Icons/Resolutions
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 1999, 07:42:00 AM »
I vote for user selectable colors.  SA is so important, that everyone should be able to optimize their "vision".

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?