Author Topic: Is it time to revise some aspects of scoring?  (Read 649 times)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: Is it time to revise some aspects of scoring?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2002, 11:43:48 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Since no major air force in WWII counted kills of aircraft on the ground in the "official" total, why does HTC do so?

My regards,

Widewing

Gabreski's vulches were included into his official kill tally.

Grabreski

Ack-Ack

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Is it time to revise some aspects of scoring?
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2002, 11:53:49 PM »
I generally never up in fighters with an ENY higher than 25 and enjoy flying both of the magnificent <60>s. If I get any kills in our LA7, Spit IX, P51D, F4U, NIKI, maxxed out arena, I consider it a minor miracle. But I recognize that this also means I will never make it into the top 500, much less the top 100.

The only place where this really becomes a pain for me is when it comes to the CVs. Nothing is more irritating than trying to shepherd a CV to a sensible and important objective, and suddenly having control ripped away by a 15 year old F4U dweeb who wants to send it on a suicide run so he can have the shortest possible flight time.

But hey, I can't even think of a solution for that, other than spending the first part of the month "gaming the game" per Fork's recent suggestions, which I'm loathe to do.

Yup, this is just a meaningless whine, a gripe, a "life's unfair" protest message. No further action is necessary.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2002, 12:02:30 AM »
Originally posted by CAV
On side note....

I think if you look,,,, The U.S. did late in war.

CAV

Not in the "official" totals. The 8th AF did allow claims for ground kills to encourage strafing, but these were disallowed later.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2002, 10:33:29 AM »
Widewing, looking at the stats, how do you see field capture only?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2002, 10:36:23 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

it was probably that "tween" updates glitch, where occasionally someone will find themselves ranked #1 in something until the next update and they get put back in their proper place.

altho' if you look at the top 5 buffers, you'll see most have relatively few sorties with a high % being captures.

1. cuckoo - 42 sorties, 21 captures.
2. gale - 22 sorties, 8 captures.
3. brady5 - 58 sorties, 10 captures.
4. turbot - 146 sorties, 4 captures - reasonable amt, imho.
5. xs - 78 sorties, 7 captures.

as you can see, none of these, except maybe turbot, would be considered a "buff dweeb." yet, the rankings for buffers at least, seems to be skewed toward "captures" and hit% and dmg per sortie - the last two which i think are ok since it generally implies  they're hitting high density (read, strat/towns) targets and not trying to work over a field.

i think the point is, the ranks are biased towards captures and using lanc 4kers to increase hit% and dmg per sortie on high density targets. (how else can you explain a 506% hit rate?)

the dedicated "buffers" are basically excluded from being ranked very high, because they're often a) bombing under pressure b) getting killed often before drop and c) might not be "gooners."

maybe add a new category "captures" and do the juggling to factor it into over all rankings... i do see the incentive for encouraging people to goon/m3 capture, sort of, lol.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2002, 10:49:14 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2002, 10:43:53 AM »
Why aren't base captures included in vehicle scoring?  Or are they, but they're just not shown on the in-game score list?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2002, 10:57:02 AM »
Originally posted by Innominate
Why aren't base captures included in vehicle scoring?  Or are they, but they're just not shown on the in-game score list?

they are and they are. and again, they weigh heavily in the ranking.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2002, 11:07:39 AM by Shane »
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2002, 11:21:22 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

Hitech, I have looked at the stats. Furthermore, I’ve made a point of watching the player in question since we usually fly during the same time period.

He has flown a total of 42 “bomber” sorties.
He has 21 field captures
He landed 36 sorties
He has 1 ditch
He has 4 deaths
He has lost 3 C-47s
He took up an IL-2 once and scored it as a bomber sortie. He died and gained no kills.
He has no bomber kills
He has no bomber deaths (other than the IL-2)

So, we know that he flew at least 24 C-47 sorties and 1 with IL-2 for a total of 25. That leaves 17 sorties. I have personally witnessed him fly several C-47 sorties where he did not capture the field. I’ll wager large that all of the remaining sorties where exactly like that, especially when most players get about one capture per 2 sorties flown (if they are lucky). Beyond this, I have seen discussions in the message buffer where others stated that they had never seen this player in a bomber, yet he was #1. That’s what aroused my interest. Indeed, there is no evidence that he has flown a bomber even once this tour.

However, let’s assume the impossible and say that he did fly 17 bomber sorties. Should someone with that tiny number of sorties be ranked #1?

Now, look at the #2 ranked bomber pilot. I’ll bet he hasn’t flown more than 1 or 2 bomber sorties this tour either. Lumping in field captures with bomber sorties allows for this “gamey” scoring that takes away from the guys who labor long hours in slow climbing bombers. Give the Goon runners all the credit they truly deserve. However, it should not be at the expense of those who REALLY fly bombers. Creating a separate category for field captures will accomplish this.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2002, 11:45:20 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
However, let’s assume the impossible and say that he did fly 17 bomber sorties. Should someone with that tiny number of sorties be ranked #1?
Widewing

my bet is the remaining 17 were lancs w/4k-ers, explaining the hit%.  one 1k-er *can* take out about 2 acks, and 2-3 bldgs if placed properly in a town, i'm a fairly good town whacker and my hit % in the attack category reflects this.

perhaps one can get 4-6 bldgs destroyed msgs if place properly at some high-density strat strat target....

in any case, you can bet the hit% and dmg are attributable to milking enemy starts that are safely ensconced behind his own front lines - hence, very little risk.

yeah, it's all too easy to "game the stats" for rankings, which is why people say... ranks are meaningless, except to one's self.

case in point, i just raised my veh hit %  (which will have an impact on my rank, altho' small at this point) by 20% from .037 to about .054 simply by upping an m16 at a VH and emptying my ammo load on my *own* vh - done just to prove this point.

as for that great 106% dmg vs obj in veh, the only way to get #'s in that category is by using a pt boat... all i can think of is he or someone de-acked a base/strat close to shore, then ran a PT boat up close enough to do some damage.  i got 8% by trying to take out a strat (city) with a pt-boat but could never get close enuff before acks popped me (but i did launch some rckts and got lucky - resulting in that %.)

Offline ET

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2002, 03:13:19 PM »
Turbot, I know there are plenty of stats out there but Im interested in how I'm measuring up with the new bombsight. The only way I can tell is to see how others working with the new sight are doing. I can't tell right now because the bomber stats include C47s and I believe the small bombers too. I'd like a category that only has the bombers that have to use the new bombsight. Mainly the medium and heavy bombers. I and probably many others have worked hard trying to learn the set up and when the C47s and dive bombers (bombers you can select attack or bomb with) are mixed in with them it skews the figures. Any time I want to up my bomber stats right now I can run a couple of goons on base capture and do it. Most folk know this. Thats why I'd like to see a category for bombsight users only.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2002, 07:53:40 PM »
Amen, Brother Raub!!

Hey Raub,  we should buy stock in Puffs Plus tissue?

:)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2002, 07:56:45 PM by Swager »
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2002, 10:14:34 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon

Yup, this is just a meaningless whine, a gripe, a "life's unfair" protest message. No further action is necessary.

- SEAGOON

I've started using Widewing's posts as a reminder to pay my rent and bills since they always seem to come at the end of every month.

Ack-Ack
« Last Edit: September 05, 2002, 02:35:04 AM by akak »

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2002, 12:16:23 AM »
Shit, rent IS due, isn't it.

Offline RoyofCA

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2002, 01:34:25 AM »
How about we fix the bomber bugs before ANYTHING else gets done...kthnxdrivethru......

Offline CUCKOO

• Zinc Member
I flied in Lancaster and C47 as bomber
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2002, 08:07:14 AM »
Bad guess! Widewing :mad:
I flied in Lancaster and C47 as bomber, not iL2.
I fly in iL2 as attacker.
You need to understand the AH soring system more, I think.:D
Even if you fly in goon with only one sortie, you can capture many enemy bases.:p
Even if you drop eggs on enmy fields, your hit percentage can be over 400%.
If you drop egg on high densed target ( factories or town), your hit percentage can be 1,200% at maximum.:D
In my opinion, bomers jobs are to destroy enmy object, not to kill enmy fighters.:cool:
Field captures are very important job for your country.
We can not win without field captures.
If you enjoy in AH for only your self-satisfaction, its OK, its not my business.
However, you should not complain of the scoring system without understanding this system.
If you are interest with scoring, do your best for score and show your best result.
Do your best before criticizing the scoring sytem or the other players' score, even if hte scoring system is not perfect.
If you are not interested with scoring, don't complain to other gents about their scores.
In tour 31, I did my best to get good score and to work for rookland.
The score don't show that I do good flight. (almost players know it)
Many many friends always help me and many many friends cheered me.
I could not get rank #1 without many friends help and support.
Thank you very much all gents.
Almost players know that real aces are Fester, Hermit, Lazer, Blade, Fariz, Dmdcoach, SirLoin Trikky SUPONGO, Concho, Hitech ....... and many many great fighters are in AH, not me.;)
Just only I like the number 1, the 1 1 1 1 is Jackpot.
If the score is slot machine, I will get much dollars. :D

CUCKOO