Author Topic: Game unplayable  (Read 271 times)

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Game unplayable
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2002, 08:09:32 AM »
Yup for the first time I logged off due to lag. Was pinging the host at 45 ms, both lines flat.
Half a dozen times I was 200 or so back from a bad guy in a g6 with 30mm and gondolas just laying into him and I might get a kill message 30 to 60 seconds later or maybee not :(

Shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Game unplayable
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2002, 09:24:54 AM »
for the first time since starting AH I logged last night due to repeated Lost UDP messages and of course this was followed by could not find Host and CTD.

hoping this server move is in the works.

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
Game unplayable
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2002, 07:07:37 PM »
Last night ran ping plotter
response times last night was in the 4000 to 9000 ms range. and AH was not the problem seems as if the sprint network routers were having a congestion problem. Durning this same period was also unable to get to the BBS.

Later the rate drop back to my normal conncetion time of between 150 and 250 ms.

Internet congestion can be a major cause of lag at any point in the hops between your ISP and the
AH server. My current connection is 15 hops between my cpu and AH.

DarkHawk  :rolleyes:
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Game unplayable
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2002, 08:30:26 PM »
For a start, CTDs most likely have little to do with your network connection. CTDs seem to be a bug possibly related to buff formations. Last week I managed to film a situation where something was causing many people to repeatedly CTD at a field that was under attack. Hopefully it will help HTC figure out the bug.

Ping times can be quite irrelevant at a certain level. Obviously a ping time in 1000's means things are bad. But as they get lower connection quality becomes the issue you have to look at.

What you are describing is most likely your ISP or something in the circuit between you and HTC dropping packets. Ahh you say I ran pingplotter and got no packet loss! But did you run pingplotter or your tracert with larger packet sizes? Most tracerts run with 128byte packets, and I can assure you AH furballs do not use 128byte packet sizes.

Trying running a trace with incremental sizes, 128 bytes, 512 bytes, 1024 bytes, 2048 bytes etc. Watch how your 'once virgin and perfect' network connection suddenly starts getting 50% packet loss ratios as the size creeps up.

What can you do? Not much on the internet side of things, but as far as AH goes try and avoid fights with loads of planes (ie 20-50's) or GVs or ships. These increase the trafficload to you and increase the likelyhood that some router along the way is going to discard your traffic.

What you are probably finding is a less crowded CT = smaller packets = less packet loss = better gameplay.

Lastly, Hazed, what has changed with AH in the last 2 years? Think back, how big were fights before the AW boatpeople started unloading?

Originally posted by hazed-
Vulcan thats nonsense mate. Ive been playing AH for over 2 years with no problems up until the latest patches.I have adsl and a very good connection but im still getting lost udp's and CTDs regularly.

also for me last night was so laggy that i switched to CT.

all the symptoms mentioned above went away in CT and as you know the ping times to CT are higher than the MA.It has nothing to do with poor connections per say, its the routers that seem to be at fault and MA routers last night SUCKED EGGS! :)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Game unplayable
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2002, 09:30:50 PM »
During prime time the server obviously can't handle the loads.  Maybe its just from too many people in one arena, since pings aren't all that bad.  Best thing to do is, don't play during prime time if at all possible, or avoid it.  Kind of sad that the game does become that unplayable.

Anyone think it'd help to have a furball arena, and then the main arena, to split up the numbers a bit?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2002, 09:40:08 PM by Innominate »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Game unplayable
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2002, 10:42:55 PM »
Read my lips guys   (  ).(  )    . Pings do not give you the full picture of your internet connection.

Originally posted by Innominate
blah blah blah, since pings aren't all that bad. blah blah blah

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Game unplayable
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2002, 01:33:39 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
blahblahblahblah semantics blah blah blah blah

These problems though ARE the server.  Some parts lag while others lag less.  Chat lag, and interface lag are server-side.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Game unplayable
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2002, 01:54:51 AM »
Absolutely, without question.   These are indeed server side lags.   Save your tracerts, they have nothing to do with this one - absolutely nothing at all.  That is to say, your individual ping to arena is of no consequence in this regard.