Author Topic: Frame Rate Problem  (Read 284 times)

Offline scrapper

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Problem
« on: September 02, 2002, 11:11:24 PM »
This one has me stumped. I just got back from a 2 week vacation, started up aces and when I went in for the first time to attack fighters over a base, whenever I'm in a hard banking turn my frames drop to between 6-14 fps! i know that sounds crazy but I've tried it online and offline too and same thing. Also tried dropping rez from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 and 800x600 but the same thing happens. I have never had this problem before and it wasn't doing this when I left for my vacation. My computer was off the whole time and there have been no changes to it or the games software at all. I tried installing the latest drivers for my Elsa GeForce 2 GTS 32 meg and no help. Only thing i changed period is my joystick from a sidewinder pro back to an old sidwinder force feedback that works great accept for the force feedback that broke. Stick calibrated perfectly in windows and the game software and works great. I cant go back to the old stick to trouble-shoot cause its in a dumpster in another state.

System:

Amd 800 athlon
512 Ram
Elsa GeForce 2 GTS
Soundblaster Live! Soundcard
Windows XP Pro
Cable modem-avg ping time 110-140ms

I've been running XP pro now for about 4-5 months and have never had a problem with it. It's always performed perfectly since installation and i originally experienced a frames increase when i moved over from Windows 98. Any idea's?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2002, 09:56:56 AM »
Time to look in the background... see if anything at all is running in the background when AH is running.

You can also try and reinstall drivers and directx

Are you running Zonealarm?

SKurj

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2002, 10:11:32 AM »
This sounds like the same type of problem im having!:confused:

Scrapper your sytem is identical to mine except i have
Athlon 850 and Prophet Gefore 2 32mg DDR GTS

same ram, OS,sound card.........

max frames i get is 30 to 45
min is 10-15 in furballs

now i cant understand why these 2 systems are not running this game better than they are.!

:confused: :rolleyes:

box
« Last Edit: September 04, 2002, 08:36:24 AM by boxboy28 »
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Kicks

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2002, 06:30:03 PM »
ok guys, I think I'm on to something. This is a trip. The reason that the frame rate drops is because when I do a high G turn the stall warning sound executes (I have a sound package that I downloaded and installed that has a really cool collection of sounds from other games) and the frames drop even more when I fire guns and cannons or add or issue commands that make the sound card do more work, ie flaps or gear etc. Remember I said I'm using an old stick? That old sidewinder is running off the gameport on the SOUNDCARD where my other broken and trashed stick was using a USB adapter that came with it. I tried using the adapter with my old sidewinder but XP wont see it, only sees the stick when hooked up to the gameport on the soundcard. I checked in device manager to see if I could change the I/O addresses for the soundcard thinking that maybe there is some sort of I/O conflict occuring there but it isnt a changable setting. I think that if I just go for a new USB stick this prob will go away. Any other ideas?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2002, 06:37:35 PM »
Try reducing sound accelreation

SKurj

Offline Kicks

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2002, 06:39:37 PM »
Ha! Just figured it out. I disabled Force Feedback in the game software and WALLA! Thanks for the suggestions. Back up to smoke ya arses! :)

Offline scrapper

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2002, 07:07:44 PM »
Yeah Box, I wonder the same thing. My buddy UnDeth has a GeForce1 runnin with a 900 Athlon and 700+ Ram that gets just as good frames as I get and we are both thinking of upgrading to GeForce 4 4600's. I've been pricing mobo's and ram last couple of days and I think that it's time to get more frames. This frame drop in a furball crap just has to go.:mad: :)

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
scrapper
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2002, 08:59:17 AM »
LOL i been doing the same damn thing! i most likely wont buy a Video card just upgrade the mobo,CPU,ram to a Athlon 2+gig DDR sytem!

box;)
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Jospe2

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2002, 09:14:05 AM »
I have been epxeriencing the same problem.  I just bought the Gforce4 ti4200.  When I in the tower I get 72fps.  Although when I am in a furball or over a base thats smoking they drop to about 13fps.  DL's the 40.00 detonator drivers .. no help.  

The only thing I have found that me be part of the problem is that my sound card and GC are sharring the same IRQ number.   Can this be changed and if so how?

Dell Dimmension 4300
1.6 GHZ
512mb Sdram
Santa Cruz SC

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2002, 09:23:56 AM »
Wow...only 72 in the tower with a Geforce4 ti4200?  I'm running a Geforce2 GTS 64meg card and get 75-80 in the air and 25-30 in furballs.  Sometimes it drops to 15 in the real ugly messes...but that's rare.

I'm running at 1280x1024x32.  What resolution you run at?  Maybe I won't be upgrading to a geforce4 soon...

Offline Jospe2

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2002, 10:35:40 AM »
yea ... my old car was a Gforce 2 ti200 and was getting those
same kinda numbers .. I may just reinstall it.

Offline scrapper

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate Problem
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2002, 03:20:31 PM »
Yeah Box, I was originally thinking the same, just upgrade the cpu and ram, but then I thought what the hell, its been two years since my last upgrade, why not do the whole friggin thing ya know? I have been wanting to turn up IL2 all the way since I bought it so there is more than aces as a motivator for this whole thing.:p I have even been wanting to see MSCS2 turned up max also since I bought that like a year ago or more, looked great but still couldn't max it all out and keep frames up when fighting online.

Jospe2, sounds like you just need to do the basics maybe? Scandisk and defrag and if no help then a reinstallation always does the trick for me, everytime smooths right out. Also like skurj said originally, might have to much stuff running in the background hoggin up ram and cpu cycles. ????

Crackup all, I couldn't figure out why my posts were using my gameID and my account ID interchangably, then realized that I had registered on my server comp as scrapper and on my gaming comp as Kicks. lol. sorry for the confusion.:D