Author Topic: TV Program NOVA: Dirty Bombs  (Read 218 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
TV Program NOVA: Dirty Bombs
« on: February 26, 2003, 08:10:47 AM »
Anyone see it? Can't remember the bi-product from nuclear reactors they said was prevalent all across Russia in those machines they used on collective farms for zapping the seeds to make them less prone to germinate for long term storage, but I think it was called "Cesius Chloride", a fine powdery substance that has a 1/2 life of 30 years, and produces gamma rays.  Anyway, its not in short supply...only takes a hand full of the stuff to contaminate about 5 square miles via a delivery method like a car bomb... making the surrounding area uninhabitable unless a major clean up is done, we're talking major, like bring buildings down, etc.  It was a real eye opener on what we could possibly expect.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 08:14:33 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 08:26:30 AM »
Yep, I saw it. It was cesium chloride. This is also used for therapy in some cancer patients, so there's a lot of it around.

It was all prettry scary, but I was actually more worred about the biological weapons they talked about. Especially, the former soviet biologist who was using genetic engineering to make new bugs. I think the US should hire all those guys at whatever salary it takes, just to get them off the market. It would be a lot cheaper then dealing with the consequences if they go to work for some wackos.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 08:35:57 AM »
Originally posted by myelo
It was all prettry scary, but I was actually more worred about the biological weapons they talked about. Especially, the former soviet biologist who was using genetic engineering to make new bugs. I think the US should hire all those guys at whatever salary it takes, just to get them off the market. It would be a lot cheaper then dealing with the consequences if they go to work for some wackos.

Bah! I fell asleep before that part of it I think...I hope they air it again.

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 08:57:38 AM »
saw it twice now rip....scary stuff.....and easily made:(

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 01:21:49 PM »
Nasty stuff. Wondering why a dirty bomb has never been used.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.