Author Topic: <S!> Saturday night CT'ers!  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
<S!> Saturday night CT'ers!
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2002, 06:32:17 PM »
Okay.
I know the F6F we have is the F6F5, not the F6F3. However the difference is fairly minor, one of you VF-27 guys help me out here...... WEP is the biggest difference, I believe.
In November of 1943 F6Fs did make attacks on Rabual, from the USS Saratoga, and the "USS Princeton AKA Home of VF-27".
Also there were 3 land based F6F units in the Solomons during 1943 VF-33, VF-38, and VF-40 were all based at Munda on New Gerorgia Island. The A6M5 was in squadron service by September 1943, the IJN started replacing the A6M2 on it's carriers with the A6M3 by June of 1942.
Persoanally I think if your going to have CV ops you need to include the F6F for 1943, the F4F had been put on the second string by then.

I mean whats the point of spliting  hairs if your gonna do things like add the Spit to the Norway setup halfway through the week. Then add the F6F to this!!
Sorry boys had to get that dig in!:D

If you want to keep the Hellcat out of it than why bother with CV's, however the sailor squads have not had any fun since the Kurile Islands set-up, that was what six weeks ago? I ythink the F6F should be included. With the F6F, SBD, and TBM on the CV's this setup will reak of 1943.
Too bad we dont have the B6N, and D4y, to go along with the A6M5.:(

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2002, 07:06:55 PM »
okay, lowe you have convinced me ;)

If the axis dont have a problem with it, fine by me.  Say, when was the fm2 doing its thing?  Is that later than the f6f3?

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2002, 07:30:52 PM »
Yeah, what Lowe said.:D
P-38 sounds good too.(just my .2 cents)

Offline HiJack

• Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2002, 07:58:21 PM »
Thanks Sabre for lettin VF27 and 27th Sentai duke it out in here, just some friendly porkin oops i mean jabbin oops well hell you know what I mean lol!

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2002, 08:14:03 PM »
F6f debuted in November 1943, say that again No-vem-ber.  Basically a 1944 plane in my book.  The wildcat was hardly second fiddle on US CVs in 1943, the F6f didn't fight until the 11th month, what do you think happened for the rest of them??  

Better off leaving it out, represent the period of feb-may of 1943.  The US begins its push up the Solomon chain, Rabaul is still a powerhouse, the USMC debuts the F4u-1, the USAAF fights with the P40e, and the USN presses on with it's first line CV aircraft the Wildcat.

The USN aircraft will be historically represented, the A6M5 is there only for PLAY BALANCE, yes it is ahistorical but I believe necessary.  No way could you sub the P38L for the F, USAAF will have to stick with the P40e.

Add the F6f and it will slaughter this IJN planeset, add the N1k2 to balance... Well heck now were starting to talk 1944.  

Shooting for a historical period Solomons first half of 1943, but yet trying to maintain play balance.   I think what I initially layed out will make for fun even fights, with little sacrifice to historical accuracy.

I'm sorry but the call for the F6f and the P38L make no sense to me.

The genie granted my wish any hoot! ;)
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2002, 08:16:11 PM »
By my books the FM-2 became operational in Febuary of 1944, but that was with the Atlantic Fleet. It started appearing in the Pacific fleet later that year.
The main differences I can find between the F6F3, and the F6F5 is the Eng both planes used the Pratt & Whitney R-2800, the F3 had the -10 the F5, the -10W. Which gave 200 more horse power and about 10 more MPH. The F5 also had some extra armour in the rear, but theres not enough difference in my opinion to exclude the current F6F from the set-up, both planes the F6F3, and the A6M5 became opperational right about the same time.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2002, 08:44:44 PM »
If your not gonna get my point.  Then leave the A6m5 out along with the F6f.  That way all participating planes will be historically accurate.  How many A6m2's do you think we'll see flying around??  F4f and F4u-1 can handle the A6m5, by including it we will surely see some Zeros in the air.   In my opinion, of course.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2002, 08:51:41 PM »
Bug I was prob writing my post at the same time you were so don't get your panties in a wad. Plus I was trying to answer a question from ERG
Do whatever the hell you want, it's your world I just fly there. :rolleyes:
Hey Erg looks like I'm in trouble now I'll have to fly that uber A6m2 you keep telling me about.:D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2002, 08:54:02 PM by Löwe »

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2002, 08:56:07 PM »
Panties in a wad??  Crikey reading through this thread I hate to imagine what your panties are by now.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2002, 09:02:00 PM »
We wear DRAWERS in Texas.:p

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2002, 09:29:23 PM »
Personally the a6m2 seems to be a better plane than the a6m5, but thats just me.  I think we should have both if we can, call it 43 1/2 solomons cause its a game.

erg

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2002, 10:02:44 PM »
Hmm.
Maybe it's the Green, that makes me fly an M5 better.
Anyway, NP it's Bugs deal whatever he wants is cool with me. I'd get tired of all the hey add this stuff too, if I was trying to do a setup.:)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2002, 10:31:31 PM »
Hehe just to clarify, I'm only dreaming of a set up here.  I have no power to set it up, other than my my ability to whine beg and plead to the CT staff.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2002, 10:32:34 PM »
Originally posted by Löwe
We wear DRAWERS in Texas.:p

If we DRAWERS at all!!

guys have had a blast the past few nites.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2002, 10:48:20 PM »
I agree we can be a real pain with all our little preferences and biases.

Whatever planeset you decide on, you'll never please us all.  I will just be happy to climb into my Hien and fling her into the Pacific sky once again!

btw I just looked up the performance differences between P-38H, which would fit the early 1943 setting, and our P-38L.   The L is 12 mph faster, climbs 800 fpm faster, and has a much better rollrate.   The L would be more of a "ringer" than a "sub".