Author Topic: Serious graphics problem  (Read 1168 times)

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Serious graphics problem
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2002, 02:26:46 PM »
I would suggest a small addition to Sprint's method: once you've booted in VGA mode, log in and then shut it down in VGA mode.

This ensures a complete session sequence in VGA.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Serious graphics problem
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2002, 02:38:43 PM »
the problem is simple

you failed to spend another $100 and get a ti card :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Serious graphics problem
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2002, 04:04:47 PM »
The detonator destroyer program is ONLY for computers running the Windows 9x kernel.  It will crash and burn on 2k and XP.

As far as compatibility issues, I'm running an Athlon 1.4 with a Leadtek Geforce2 GTS 64M card running on WinXP with the 30.82 drivers.  I experienced similar issues, but they were resolved when I updated DirectX (which is done on XP via hotfixes at windowsupdate.com).

Try running dxdiag from the command line and running through the tests to see if there are any artifacts visible, or any tests fail.  There may be some information there that could help you.

Offline TIGS

• Zinc Member
DirectX
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2002, 07:53:33 AM »
:mad: I tried to download the latest DirectX - it went smoothly, but I couldn't get anything out of AH - not even the menu and the clipboard at all, it's all a whiteout now. I don't think I'll be able to do anything much with this version of windows and as someone might have mentioned - I'll have to get a new video card - the best way to make it work is to get an ATI card, apparently. :rolleyes: :mad: :D

Admiral Tiger
-- Hogan Heroes - Colonel --

-- ps: referring to failing to get another $100 for a TI card - my old motherboard that i was using along with AH didn't have an AGP slot - Win ME, GF4 MX 420 PCI... I eventually got a new motherboard, new CPU and a CD-RW afterwards - the video card is still the same but yeah, I got to get rid of the one i have now. I've been eyeing for the Radeon 9700 and Gigabyte GeForce 4 Ti 4400 so far (don't want the 4600 - better bargain with Radeon 9700 for the same price)

Well.... Off I go. :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2002, 07:57:29 AM by TIGS »

Offline TIGS

• Zinc Member
Oops....
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2002, 08:07:30 AM »
I just ran directx diagnostic tool, and forgot to enable the directdraw mode - the funny thing is the last time I tested Direct3d, it didn't work, now it works. Apparently the directdraw mode being disabled will give me only the whiteouts in Aces High - with that enabled, I can get into the game.

The glitches are still there - green polygons - lots of flashing around the place but I've been able to check the frame rate - it was hovering around 37's - I locked the frame rate at 45. Just FYI.

Admiral Tiger
-- Hogans Heroes - Colonel --

Offline mrgoat

• Zinc Member
Framerates
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2002, 01:33:24 AM »
Actually I cant check framerates very effectively. For the most part the text looks like some form of Islamic or Hebrew, all wierd chars.

I checked on the DirectX thing. I downloaded a new version and installed it, that didnt help. Is there an efficiant way of uninstalling the DirectX drivers? I just installed the new ones on top of the ones I had before.

This problem is actually happening on my brothers computer, mine works fine on it. On mine I have:

P4 2.0gig
512mb RAM
Ati Radeon 8500 128mb
Windows XP

It runs pefectly on mine, but fails to run on my brothers.

His computer has no AGP slots, so a TI is out of the question.

Mr Goat

Offline Newman7

• Zinc Member
Serious graphics problem
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2002, 09:34:18 PM »
Well,

On the recomendation of a bud, I've set up a 2KPro partition on my PC and I've got EXACTLY the same problems as all of you :(

LUCKILY, I've set up a dual boot with 98SE, so I can fly if I need to. I'd like to get this resolved, though..

Athlon 1700XP
ABIT KT7A-RAID MB
Hercules GeForce 2 GTS Pro/ 64 MEG Vid Card (30.82 drivers)
DX 8.1B
512 MEGS RAM

Newman
327TH Steel Talons TO

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Serious graphics problem
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2002, 12:52:28 AM »
I believe Dierct X can be loaded over an earlier copy unlike video drivers which should not be, at least with nVidia ones.
I've got no suggestions however to help the problem.
I think positive thoughts for you guys though.
Those 'negative waves' can make a bridge fall down, for proof... watch 'Kelly's Heros'

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline mrgoat

• Zinc Member
Beginning to see a pattern
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2002, 02:58:35 AM »
OK..so I think this may be a Win2k Pro problem.

I will install Windows XP on the computer, and see if this fixes it. If it does, then you guys will be the first to hear of it :)

Mr Goat

Offline mrgoat

• Zinc Member
w00t!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2002, 05:19:15 AM »
Latest update..

Installed WindowsXP...not easy. Had to kill Win2k..it was NTFS, so had to find an old Win98 disk to format hard drive again. Installed Windows 98, then installed Windows XP update. Installed all the latest drivers.

Was about 2 or 3 hours worth of work, but the game FINALLY works!

w00t!

Windows 2000 has made an enemy this day..

Mr Goat

Offline TIGS

• Zinc Member
NTFS??
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2002, 08:38:23 AM »
Funny thing, on Aces High's main website, it says the game is compatible with Windows 2000, but didn't say if it was compatible with Windows XP (I thought about the possibility of NTFS being the culprit).  Hmmmm.... from what I see here, If i'm correct, I noticed everyone has a GeForce PCI cards on their motherboard, and no TI card at all. This game is supposed to work with NTFS, I think. (well, Air Warrior worked fine for me on that one).

Thought about upgrading to Windows XP Professional but that also has the NTFS. I don't understand why this game is refusing to "cooperate" with the file system when it should be.

TIGS

Offline Starbird

• Copper Member
Serious graphics problem
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2002, 09:24:52 AM »
It shouldn't be your filesystem. That is totally transparent to the game itself.

I'm running win2k pro on my game machine, and dont have any problems with AH.

Must be a problem with the drivers on pci vid cards.

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
Serious graphics problem
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2002, 07:04:27 PM »
Well.. here is my experience:

I've screwed with the system for about a day and a half. I tried different nVidea drivers (including the Detonator 40 beta's) and 2 different nVidea cards (GeForce 2GTS Pro, GeForce 4 MX 440), NOTHING worked. I had an ATI Radeon 7000 VE card kicking around so I put that in, after uninstalling all the nVidea stuff.

It worked fine, with bad FR's.

My conclusion.. There's something rotten in Denmark regarding Athlons, GeForce and (I'm guessing) VIA Chipsets and 2K OS. My thought is that 2K puts the video, sound, RAID (in my case) USB and modem on the same IRQ. Just a guess.. I remember having this problem before.. I THINK it was running Air Warrior under 2K with a similar system (Athlon, VIA, nVidea).

Regardless, I'll be reformatting it all and starting from scratch. I'll still keep the 98/ 2K split and set up 98 JUST for gaming  ;-)

Newman
327TH Steel Talons TO
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline paulieb

• Copper Member
      • http://www.airmafia.com/index2.html
Serious graphics problem
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2002, 09:22:37 PM »
I was having the same problem, so I started paying close attention to the fps. My computer will start spewing crap like posted above when the fps exceed 70. So now, I have this question: does this sim use D3D or OpenGL? My drivers only allow me to enable/disable vsync in OpenGL.

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
Serious graphics problem
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2002, 11:53:12 PM »
I always lock my FR's at 45 FPS. It helps keep the game moving smoothly. I read an article a while ago that said the human eye can't define most movement at that setting.

Being as I'm STILL on dial-up (grrrr), I need all the help I can get!

As I said, I'm thinkin' its an OS/ driver/ chipset conflict within Windows 2000.

Newman
327th Steel Talons FS TO
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)